Serious question: Who lives where it's NOT turning into a shithole?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Southeast TN here, halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga. I think, overall, things are better now than a decade ago.

We are in a pretty rural area, and there is more and more industry (jobs) coming in. The biggest drawback we have is "liberal imports" from other areas following the jobs and low cost of living here. It has caused a housing crunch (both rental and ownership) and caused quite a price increase.

Drugs and such are about the same as they have been for the last 20 years, with meth being predominant.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm about 45 minutes south of Houston and the "urban flight" / influx of out-of-staters is growing more and more apparent. What were 50-100 acre plots of either row crop or cattle operations are being purchased by large national home builders that are throwing up cheaply build homes some of which the entire neighborhood are lease properties.

There's also a small yet noticeable increase of transients and non-citizen "refugees". I recall seeing the first panhandler about 2 years ago and was dumbfounded. We are an industrial type area and anyone that wants to do an honest days work for a reasonable wage can find a job and that goes without participating in retail or food service industries.

Regarding local politics or the education systems, I feel the area hasn't changed that much yet but can certainly see that evolving in time. We certainly don't have "big city" issues like Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio but its moving this direction.

All I need is another 5-ish years and I'll be ready to relocate to the sticks and off the paved roads.
I’m in league city so I’m assuming we’re fairly close. I’m on the same schedule as you are trying to get out of the suburbs in 3-5 years to get some land but year after year we have to looking further and further out into the sticks. Since everyone has the same idea and most of league city/friendswood people have plenty of money the cost of what used to be affordable places in Alvin are damn near a million bucks now.

Rare40th

Established Member
North eastern CO in Keenesburg. Grew up 20 mins south in Brighton and watched that blow up into a mini Denver. Sure it's got some nice amenities but for those of us that lived there our whole life it's turned to straight garbage. In Brighton they are building banks, gas stations, tire shops and auto parts stores faster than marijuana shops from 10 years ago. City Council never utilizes the small business kind, its about the money. But there's no real infrastructure to compensate. And the fact that they had a major investigation tied to $70+ million in "slush funds" tells you all you need to know about where the towns head is at. It's being filled with housing that's around the high 5 to 600/700k range, and then having low income/top tier apartments built right in the middle of their neighborhoods. Of which are roughly 1700 a month for a 1 bedroom if not higher. Plus the sales tax rate there is around 8.5 to 9%. Whereas in Keenesburg it is 3%. We do not have the corporate stores such as Brighton but it's a nice, light highway traffic drive if it becomes a necessity

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Here in Central Alabama things have not changed much, if any at all. Alabamians don't put up with the woke shenanigans. In fact last year Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed a law that said K-12 students must participate in sports that coincide with the gender they were assigned at birth. Yesterday that was expanded to college sports as well! We are allowed open carry in Alabama and as of January 1st there's no more requirement for a concealed carry permit.

Homes are cheap here and taxes are low. The public schools here kind of suck, but that seems to be an issue everywhere now.

No vehicle inspections in Alabama either.

I'm sure cities like Mobile and Birmingham have some issues, but by and large the rest of the state is still sane for the most part.

U.M.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Here in Central Alabama things have not changed much, if any at all. Alabamians don't put up with the woke shenanigans. In fact last year Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed a law that said K-12 students must participate in sports that coincide with the gender they were assigned at birth. Yesterday that was expanded to college sports as well! We are allowed open carry in Alabama and as of January 1st there's no more requirement for a concealed carry permit.

Homes are cheap here and taxes are low. The public schools here kind of suck, but that seems to be an issue everywhere now.

No vehicle inspections in Alabama either.

I'm sure cities like Mobile and Birmingham have some issues, but by and large the rest of the state is still sane for the most part.

U.M.
Pretty much the same here in Tennessee. Except Memphis, Nashville and somewhat Knoxville and Chattanooga.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hour and a half west of DC, have lived here my whole life. Was relatively stagnant until 2020/COVID. So many city people have moved out here in the past 3 years and made everything a massive pain in the ass, now there is always traffic and something as simple as running to the grocery store for a few things on a weekday afternoon has turned into a whole ordeal. I can’t wait to get out of here

efurlong

Established Member
St. Augustine, FL
A great place to live.
We have a new Buc - ee's.
Non ethanol gas is common & available at a ton of gas stations (for my Harley).
Insurance not required on a motorcycle.
No vehicle inspections stickers.
No vehicle excise tax.
No state income tax.
The Gate near my house now has E85.
No sanctuary cities in FL.
It's illegal to hire illegals.
Not woke at all.
Great weather...no snow ever.
Fantastic beaches - happy hour everywhere - just a great place.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Nope I’ve had some low income apartments go up in my city in the last few years and seen more riff raff floating in which is the domino effect leads to more crime and theft. It doesn’t bother you because you’re known at least in previous posts for leaning left probably a registered democrat too. So your opinion doesn’t mean shit to me and I could care less if mine does to you.

Try to stay on topic, it's not hard.

If you area has nothing but low income housing pop up, yup, it's going to shit. I clearly described an area having a boom, in which houses are built, shopping centers, roads, apartments, etc. In that case, you get both good and bad things in your area.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

If you area has nothing but low income housing pop up, yup, it's going to shit. I clearly described an area having a boom, in which houses are built, shopping centers, roads, apartments, etc. In that case, you get both good and bad things in your area.
Any low income housing and it is probably going to shit, now matter how close Target is for you to visit. Never known an area without low income that wasn’t shady as hell. Sad but true.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
St. Augustine, FL
A great place to live.
We have a new Buc - ee's.
Non ethanol gas is common & available at a ton of gas stations (for my Harley).
Insurance not required on a motorcycle.
No vehicle inspections stickers.
No vehicle excise tax.
No state income tax.
The Gate near my house now has E85.
No sanctuary cities in FL.
It's illegal to hire illegals.
Not woke at all.
Great weather...no snow ever.
Fantastic beaches - happy hour everywhere - just a great place.
We love it there. About 4-5 hours depending on traffic. Usually come up once a year and stay at the Bayfront Best Western. Great location to the bars/restaurants right behind the hotel. Love me some Mojo's too. Eat breakfast at Mary's. Did all the tourist shit there years ago.

MG0h3

Established Member
Only way I could say that is within maybe 2 miles. I live in a really nice small city that hasn't been too affected by the big city trash, but you go 5-10 miles out of that circle and things get really bad. I work in Kent and anyone who knows anything about Western Washington knows Kent is a ****ing shithole! Probably some of the highest property crime and drug addiction in the nation.

Lol. I remember SNL (pre *** and just comedy) making fun of Kent like 35yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
We love it there. About 4-5 hours depending on traffic. Usually come up once a year and stay at the Bayfront Best Western. Great location to the bars/restaurants right behind the hotel. Love me some Mojo's too. Eat breakfast at Mary's. Did all the tourist shit there years ago.
Mojo's :drool

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

I was staying on topic, I spoke the truth commadre Kevin anyone can look up old posts and see what I was point out. we’ve had both go up. I don’t think anyone wants low income housing in there area maybe you do. I could also give zero shits about Target. Chipotle I don’t eat it often and we have plenty of those and they just opened another popping up like dollar stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Any low income housing and it is probably going to shit, now matter how close Target is for you to visit. Never known an area without low income that wasn’t shady as hell. Sad but true.
First, OP said a 15 mile radius, not .25 miles. I wouldn't want to live next to the project either, but again, 15 MILE RADIUS.

Second, my example was a boom, where the area very close to this made up person has grown a lot over the last TEN YEARS. Again, my example would have someone dealing with the pros and cons. Con: more traffic. Pro: more businesses they prefer, and closer.

Given those circumstances, it's the age old question about the cup being half full or half empty. Some people would only bitch about the traffic and a shooting 10 miles from their house in an area they've never even been too, while others would be happy that a Lowes is now 3 miles away and not a 25 minute drive.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Everyone emptied out of their northern cities and moved to the coast. Life on a boat again is starting to sound pretty good.
Interesting.
If memory serves your name is Travis.
One of my favorite mystery series characters is also named Travis (surname McGee) who also lived on a boat.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Interesting.
If memory serves your name is Travis.
One of my favorite mystery series characters is also named Travis (surname McGee) who also lived on a boat.

I have one of those books but haven't read it. The author's first book about quitting his job and moving onto a boat was pretty good:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have one of those books but haven't read it. The author's first book about quitting his job and moving onto a boat was pretty good:

Different series/author.
The author of the Travis McGee novels is John D. MacDonald.

Users who are viewing this thread