Serious question: Who lives where it's NOT turning into a shithole?

04MysticCobra

Established Member

LOL......Action Park was one big disaster for the area.....Was so happy when it was sold. The park still sucks and its owned by Mountain Creek. More people got injured on that stupid cement Alpine slide and many lawsuits came form it. I live right across the valley from the park and in 40 years never visited the park and did not miss much. The owner of the park still owes my wife 3 grand from condo's she sold there when working for Coldwell Banker in the 80's....lol.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL......Action Park was one big disaster for the area.....Was so happy when it was sold. The park still sucks and its owned by Mountain Creek. More people got injured on that stupid cement Alpine slide and many lawsuits came form it. I live right across the valley from the park and in 40 years never visited the park and did not miss much. The owner of the park still owes my wife 3 grand from condo's she sold there when working for Coldwell Banker in the 80's....lol.
I remember going to the water park. it was so much fun. watch that documentary, it's good.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I live in Saratoga County in Upstate, NY. It’s a quiet and peaceful conservative area.

I know Travis @SID297 likens it to West Virginia.

Crime is low, there’s no woke bullshit and the sheriff defends the constitution.

Our problem is we can’t escape the policies of the southern tier (NYC). We’re worlds apart on values and way of life.

Upstate NY is glorious. I have spent a fair amount of time in Placid/Finger Lakes area and love it. It blows me away that blowdried city assholes love the Hamptons but not upstate.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I remember going to the water park. it was so much fun. watch that documentary, it's good.
Seen it already in the past but the park was best back in the 80's and 90's but with just about the same rides and attractions now gets nowhere near the visitors that Action Park did get in their heyday.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I've only lived in the Lehigh Valley area since 2019 but from what I understand a lot of development has happened over the past decade, real estate prices have certainly shot up. I know some of the down town city areas have become safer (although they all still have the sketchy parts).

The town I live in, or I should say right outside of still seems "small town" compared to the 3 major cities in the area. I don't feel unsafe traveling around any parts near where I live.
Since December I have been in the Allentown area at least once a month or more. Growing up it was always claimed how the KKK and folk are huge in that area and maybe it stemmed from those two skinhead brothers who killed their family a while back. Driving through the smaller towns along with Allentown felt fine. It seemed alright even at the hospital or the mall.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Upstate NY is glorious. I have spent a fair amount of time in Placid/Finger Lakes area and love it. It blows me away that blowdried city assholes love the Hamptons but not upstate.
Finger lakes are great. Have a friend that lives on Keuka lake and my wife"s friend grew up there. Did about 15 years going to the Nascar races at Watkins Glen and that was a blast. Its a great area but I don't want to be there for the winter months. My friend on Keuka goes to Florida for a few months to escape the winters there. I live 5 minutes from the NY state border.

SGT MERC

Established Member
I'm a 45 min drive east of OK city, outside Shawnee. I moved here 2 yrs ago and absolutely love it. I'm far enough away from the bs, but can drive 10 mins and be in town. The old timers here say the only change they've see in the town of Shawnee is more homeless people walking around. There were 2 homeless guys that used to walk my road, but after they tried knocking on various doors, for a ride, had their asses handed to them and literally drug off the properties and left by the side of the road, for trespassing, they haven't walked the road since this past fall.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm, I think a catch-22 will kick in for a lot of people.

A lot of people like to look at the negative things in life. If their area saw a boom in recent years, it's a positive to get all the new shops and stores, but you have to now deal with more traffic. With more shops, will likely come some new apartments. A portion might be low income, and now the local guy just complains about the extra traffic and that shooting last month at the new apartment, saying the area has gone to shit. Ok, but it's no longer a 25 minute drive to Target, the movie theater, or Chipotle. You can't have both.
Target. Lmfao.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Finger lakes are great. Have a friend that lives on Keuka lake and my wife"s friend grew up there. Did about 15 years going to the Nascar races at Watkins Glen and that was a blast. Its a great area but I don't want to be there for the winter months. My friend on Keuka goes to Florida for a few months to escape the winters there. I live 5 minutes from the NY state border.
My parents lived on Keuka Lake for over 20 years. Me and Dad drove the track one day at Watkins Glen. 25 bucks and a pace car leads you around a few times.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
depends on what you're looking at I guess.

I don't have to go anywhere near I-4 or the Disney area on a regular basis. I own my home so housing/rent prices dont effect me either. Around Orlando I feel like things are largely the same as they've always been. Traffic might be a little worse but nothing crazy, I don't feel like my cost of living has changed more compared to anywhere else, City government has always been a little left but nothing too crazy. The good and bad parts of town haven't really changed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm about 20 minutes east of San Diego in Santee. It used to have the nickname Klantee. We moved here back in 2020 before things went stupid. There are a few homeless that walk around. They tend to disappear in the summer though. Overall I wouldn't say it's horrible. A little more traffic lately, but I think that has more to do with more people going back to work. And my commute is also affected by how many carriers we have pier side. I couldn't tell you about the schools though as my kids are grown. I did see something on the news yesterday about some students in a nearby city walking out of class because there were pride flags hung up.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I always tell people out west who haven't been to NY, NY state and NY City are two entirely different NY's, with one holding the other hostage.

Much like CA, the shitty government ruins the good parts of NJ.

This is true for a lot of blue states. The urban population tend to be liberal and a greater number that controls which way the state goes Politicly.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
The violent crime is low here and crime is generally low.

The traffic is off the chart, has been bad and getting worse. I am between the DC/Baltimore/NOVA area and the beach. Transient traffic is insane year round now when it used to only be on weekends. GPS driving apps now load all the side roads so that getting around the major highways is as bad as being on them. The traffic brings its own issues outside of local issues and/or crimes. And the town has grown tremendously.

I am less happy living here than I used to be.

Fat Boss

Established Member
No S/H here. One byproduct of expensive housing is it keeps the riff-raff out. My community hasn't changed in 15 years and is one the very few Bay Area neighborhoods to consistently vote conservatively. We have a great volunteer fire dept that I'm part of and more livestock than people for a few miles in each direction. I don't lock the doors at night, and just use the screen door. I also have my choice of 6500 tech companies to work for that are constantly vying for top talent.

Currently on 2 acres, but about to buy the 4 acre lot next to me. Rental unit on the property allows me to live my best slum lord life.

80-genmid_ml81566679_a_014ac232251e7e1ef9efc641f282680a143211e4.jpg

80-big_bob_may_30_2019_noon_e732fd611113dd89b03c894505f4be3532c007a9.jpg

80-the_20view_zpsopiekdzb_a304304e35aa78958bd4682be733faaaee39c56b.jpg

80-backyard_project_8_6fd21a25a98f0f0ebd8842ed321d73093dff20ea.jpg

R5 is stationed in my front yard.

80-r5_r6_a8864e9bad33dbe9cfb0b9f4fb6c80d91763eedd.jpg

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Our little bedroom community of Cottage Grove is rapidly changing. Some of it is good (more restaurants, huge Amazon distribution facility going up, more community events) and some of it is not so great (tons of apartments and property taxes).

Schools are good, crime is low and we are close enough to Madison to do whatever we need to do in the city yet far enough away from the rough areas of Madison where the trash doesn't visit our village too often.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I'm an hour West of Austin, in a small town of about 1800 people. Schools are great, they don't tolerate any liberal crap. Kids are not permitted to have non-natural hair colors. It's a very tight knit community where everyone knows each other. Very rural. It's very common to see kids in boots and jeans at school here.

It's about 30 minutes for me to get to a real grocery store. We have maybe 5 restaurants total (including DQ and Sonic) and 2 stop lights in town.

The city council is pushing back on growth and development. They want to keep it small. I hope it works.

I'd rather drive 30+ minutes to get to something I need versus deal with the BS politics. Worth it to me.
I am gonna take a guess and say Blanco but to be fair there are a few towns in that area that match that description. I grew up in that area and moved into San Antonio about 25 years ago. Just like most major cities its liberal policies are slowly ruining it. Most of the nicer places to live are on the northern outskirts which is where I am located. The problem is the city limits keep creeping outward forcing me to move further and further north.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wish I could say Charleston, SC isn't one. I've been mentioning moving to my wife for the last few months. I've been pretty much from VA to San Diego and all between that on the coast. At this point inland seems to be more of the ticket to get away from Liberals/Crime/Democrats and I'll stop there.

Users who are viewing this thread