Serious question: Who lives where it's NOT turning into a shithole?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Wish I could say Charleston, SC isn't one. I've been mentioning moving to my wife for the last few months. I've been pretty much from VA to San Diego and all between that on the coast. At this point inland seems to be more of the ticket to get away from Liberals/Crime/Democrats and I'll stop there.
It’s not flashy, but it’s fairly cheap and generally sane so there is that.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wish I could say Charleston, SC isn't one. I've been mentioning moving to my wife for the last few months. I've been pretty much from VA to San Diego and all between that on the coast. At this point inland seems to be more of the ticket to get away from Liberals/Crime/Democrats and I'll stop there.

Everyone emptied out of their northern cities and moved to the coast. Life on a boat again is starting to sound pretty good.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Well I do live in California, so we know the state has issues. However the area I live in definitely isn't moving towards shithole status. South Orange County has always been clean and mostly crime free for as long as I've lived here (moved to Rancho Santa Margarita in 96 from Harleysville PA). RSM was always a planned community, so housing hasn't expanded. There are only 2 apartment complexes with low-income units and no more have been added. I worked with many people that lived there in my previous job, and they were mostly great. In the past RSM housing was more expensive because of the relative isolation of the city, but now it's just average but it doesn't attach as much trash as other places in OC because of the isolation. It's a massive majority red here. 16 and 20, at least 50% of houses had Trump signs or flags. I could count on one hand the number of Biden signs in 20.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
East TX still saying conservative... For now.

It's not looking good in the next 5 years

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Where I live it's not changing too quickly, but there are signs that I might need to move further out of town.

In the city I live near definite signs of shitholery. More homeless nests, more decaying infrastructure, more... colorful shootings (still not very many), more drug infested parks and public areas, residential housing decaying, little to no economic growth, etc.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
please tell me you guys remember this place

Action Park Documentary | CLASS ACTION PARK
At one point the insanity spread to a smaller park over by Tannersville. It wasn't nearly as fun and/or deadly as Vernon but alright I guess. Furthermore, that go-cart down a concrete track ride was quite popular in the Poconos during the 80's even when severe injury was more of a guarantee than not being injured.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
At one point the insanity spread to a smaller park over by Tannersville. It wasn't nearly as fun and/or deadly as Vernon but alright I guess. Furthermore, that go-cart down a concrete track ride was quite popular in the Poconos during the 80's even when severe injury was more of a guarantee than not being injured.
did you ever go to the water park? The white rapids ride was absolute chaos and the best ****ing ride at the same time.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
please tell me you guys remember this place

Action Park Documentary | CLASS ACTION PARK

I actually never went to Action Park, hell it closed up (before the buy out at least) when I was like 5 years old.

Since December I have been in the Allentown area at least once a month or more. Growing up it was always claimed how the KKK and folk are huge in that area and maybe it stemmed from those two skinhead brothers who killed their family a while back. Driving through the smaller towns along with Allentown felt fine. It seemed alright even at the hospital or the mall.

I hear Easton is supposed to be the new hot bed of white supremacy these days, especially cause some dude made the news there a decade ago where he named his kid after hitler.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm looking at this as someone that was born and raised in Phoenix.

Many areas have become nicer but it's come at the expense of more people, worse traffic, and skyrocketing cost of living. My father bought his house in 1997 for $160k. The house directly behind him just sold for $2.25 million with the average hovering around a million. Gas is $5 /gal and because the city has grown so much driving long distances and sitting in horrific traffic is the new normal.

The people have changed too. Arizona used to be a friendly state. Cars would slow down for you as you crossed the street, drivers were patient, and everyone was friendly. Now cars try to force their way past you in parking lots, road rage is out of control, and pedestrians are seen as targets. Nobody is friendly anymore.

Speaking of people, activities have turned to shit. I took my son to the Farm at South Mountain a few weeks ago for breakfast. It's always been popular but there was plenty to do there to pass the time while waiting. Now there is a 100yd line of people waiting to order at a window to get food in a styrofoam takeout container, with everyone scrambling to find a dilapidated bench to sit on and eat. We waited 45 minutes, moved, no joke, 10 feet before saying screw it and leaving. The BLM land we grew up shooting on is now full of trash and overrun with idiots and grifters. Festivals and parades that were a staple of my youth are now so overcrowded that you have slim to no chance of even getting in. The Central light parade was so crowded the last time we parked miles away and hoofed it for 45 minutes and when we got there it was so packed we couldn't see anything.

When I was born Phoenix proper had a population of 600k and metro had a population of 1.1 million. Now, Phoenix proper is at 1.7 million and metro is getting ready to crest 5 million. Urban sprawl has ruined this state.

Our natural resources have all turned to shit too. Lake Pleasant is so drained from the water lease that our friends that still live on the lake are essentially dry docked because the water is too low to leave the marina. All of the tributaries we used to go along to see the bald eagles nesting are either dried up or closed. Fossil Creek is now permit only and when you do go there are so many people it's not enjoyable. Slide Rock, Frontier Days, Luke Days, camping spots, etc all have the same issue. Boondock camping has turned into homeless encampments. Hiking trails, same thing....forget it. It's like walking in a crowded mall. Homeless people have ruined every park in the city.

I could go on and on about why Phoenix has turned to shit. The TL;DR: Phoenix's rampant population growth turned a beautiful small city to a miserable metropolis wasteland.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I could go on and on about why Phoenix has turned to shit. The TL;DR: Phoenix's rampant population growth turned a beautiful small city to a miserable metropolis wasteland.
This is basically the same the same shit happening here. It sucks ass.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Living in rural Maine pretty much excludes any negative impact on living, outside of living in rural Maine. Lol.
The Xiden admin is starting to transport illegals into the State, but that is pretty much centered around Portland and other cities. Bangor Maine, about 15 miles away has a population of about 25K and has it's share of issues for a city that size. Maine is still about 94% White so it does not see a lot of "Diversity" that causes crime. I am sure that with the influx of illegals that the % of Whites will drop and a corresponding rise in crime will result.
At least we have Constitutional Carry.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
did you ever go to the water park? The white rapids ride was absolute chaos and the best ****ing ride at the same time.
th.jpg

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
I'm about 45 minutes south of Houston and the "urban flight" / influx of out-of-staters is growing more and more apparent. What were 50-100 acre plots of either row crop or cattle operations are being purchased by large national home builders that are throwing up cheaply build homes some of which the entire neighborhood are lease properties.

There's also a small yet noticeable increase of transients and non-citizen "refugees". I recall seeing the first panhandler about 2 years ago and was dumbfounded. We are an industrial type area and anyone that wants to do an honest days work for a reasonable wage can find a job and that goes without participating in retail or food service industries.

Regarding local politics or the education systems, I feel the area hasn't changed that much yet but can certainly see that evolving in time. We certainly don't have "big city" issues like Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio but its moving this direction.

All I need is another 5-ish years and I'll be ready to relocate to the sticks and off the paved roads.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
No place is truly crime free, but outside of traffic, thanks to NE folks coming in droves the last few years traffic has gotten busier here.

I'd say the tri-county of St Lucie(excluding East Fort Pierce), Martin and Palm Beach have stayed the same.
Cities like Port St Lucie have blown up, but overall it's still quite nice.
Martin County is starting to expand west but it's still a nice area.
Palm Beach is a huge county, with some bad-but noticeable parts, but overall there's some very nice areas to live in.
Brightline is about to put the dick to the Stuart area and the Okeechobee Waterway as soon as they start running 80-125 mph through, with up to 20 closings of the draw bridge a day. Effectively cutting off timely access to the ocean to all boating west of the Roosevelt Bridge over the St. Lucie River.
That and an intense push of high-density housing units combined with limited north/south routes throughout the area are making traffic a nightmare. In a matter of 25 years this has gone from a sleepy little coastal town to a jam packed cluster****.

Did I mention I HATE TRAFFIC?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Hmmm, I think a catch-22 will kick in for a lot of people.

A lot of people like to look at the negative things in life. If their area saw a boom in recent years, it's a positive to get all the new shops and stores, but you have to now deal with more traffic. With more shops, will likely come some new apartments. A portion might be low income, and now the local guy just complains about the extra traffic and that shooting last month at the new apartment, saying the area has gone to shit. Ok, but it's no longer a 25 minute drive to Target, the movie theater, or Chipotle. You can't have both.

Nope I’ve had some low income apartments go up in my city in the last few years and seen more riff raff floating in which is the domino effect leads to more crime and theft. It doesn’t bother you because you’re known at least in previous posts for leaning left probably a registered democrat too. So your opinion doesn’t mean shit to me and I could care less if mine does to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Our area is an oasis 60 miles outside of DC. Population has doubled in 40 years to 15k. It boarders the richest County in the United States Loudoun County. Mostly farming with a lot of land in conservation easements. Years ago properties were given building right allotments if applied for called DUR's. If the property doesn't have any DUR's new housing can't be built. In fact there is a fund set up to buy un used DUR'S from current land owners at 60k each. We have beautiful views with great distance neighbors. 97% residents are American citizens. CLARKE county Va. Our second home is in Dansville NY. 6 hours away. 53 acres with 2 stocked ponds 50 percent wooded. Surrounded by woods and farm land owned by immediate family members. Spectacular views especially during 4th of July. Would live there but cold winters would make it rough. Virtually no change in area over the last 20 years. Time and change stand still.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Our area is an oasis 60 miles outside of DC. Population has doubled in 40 years to 15k. It boarders the richest County in the United States Loudoun County. Mostly farming with a lot of land in conservation easements. Years ago properties were given building right allotments if applied for called DUR's. If the property doesn't have any DUR's new housing can't be built. In fact there is a fund set up to buy un used DUR'S from current land owners at 60k each. We have beautiful views with great distance neighbors. 97% residents are American citizens. CLARKE county Va. Our second home is in Dansville NY. 6 hours away. 53 acres with 2 stocked ponds 50 percent wooded. Surrounded by woods and farm land owned by immediate family members. Spectacular views especially during 4th of July. Would live there but cold winters would make it rough. Virtually no change in area over the last 20 years. Time and change stand still.
My cousin has a home in Purcellville VA, love that area but its growing FAST.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My cousin has a home in Purcellville VA, love that area but its growing FAST.

My area is blowing up as well. Lots of new construction. People are fleeing urban areas in droves.

My cousin and her husband moved here from NYC. They’re kinda liberal but they’ve had enough. I’m helping them both get their pistol permits and teaching them how to shoot. Some of them can be saved.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
I'm another hour and a half/2 hours southwest of you in the mountains overlooking the Shenandoah Valley...growing here, too...but not at the clip you describe. I'm locked...loaded...it'll be a while before they get out & up here to me...

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm looking at this as someone that was born and raised in Phoenix.

Many areas have become nicer but it's come at the expense of more people, worse traffic, and skyrocketing cost of living. My father bought his house in 1997 for $160k. The house directly behind him just sold for $2.25 million with the average hovering around a million. Gas is $5 /gal and because the city has grown so much driving long distances and sitting in horrific traffic is the new normal.

The people have changed too. Arizona used to be a friendly state. Cars would slow down for you as you crossed the street, drivers were patient, and everyone was friendly. Now cars try to force their way past you in parking lots, road rage is out of control, and pedestrians are seen as targets. Nobody is friendly anymore.

Speaking of people, activities have turned to shit. I took my son to the Farm at South Mountain a few weeks ago for breakfast. It's always been popular but there was plenty to do there to pass the time while waiting. Now there is a 100yd line of people waiting to order at a window to get food in a styrofoam takeout container, with everyone scrambling to find a dilapidated bench to sit on and eat. We waited 45 minutes, moved, no joke, 10 feet before saying screw it and leaving. The BLM land we grew up shooting on is now full of trash and overrun with idiots and grifters. Festivals and parades that were a staple of my youth are now so overcrowded that you have slim to no chance of even getting in. The Central light parade was so crowded the last time we parked miles away and hoofed it for 45 minutes and when we got there it was so packed we couldn't see anything.

When I was born Phoenix proper had a population of 600k and metro had a population of 1.1 million. Now, Phoenix proper is at 1.7 million and metro is getting ready to crest 5 million. Urban sprawl has ruined this state.

Our natural resources have all turned to shit too. Lake Pleasant is so drained from the water lease that our friends that still live on the lake are essentially dry docked because the water is too low to leave the marina. All of the tributaries we used to go along to see the bald eagles nesting are either dried up or closed. Fossil Creek is now permit only and when you do go there are so many people it's not enjoyable. Slide Rock, Frontier Days, Luke Days, camping spots, etc all have the same issue. Boondock camping has turned into homeless encampments. Hiking trails, same thing....forget it. It's like walking in a crowded mall. Homeless people have ruined every park in the city.

The company I work for has a Phoenix office like 10 miles north of downtown off of I-17. I've met some of the younger guys from that office and was shocked at the rent they were paying to live in a decent apartment in Phoenix.

I've only ever spent a few days in Scottsdale and visited Tempe. Scottsdale seemed like a place that a family could live but I'm sure prices are crazy. Tempe obviously is a college town.

Spent more time in Lake Havasu City but that's mostly old people besides spring break. I do have family that live outside of Kingman, they are conservatives who escaped metro LA so they enjoy being there.

But ya, too much growth in too short of a time leads to problems. Madison, WI is much smaller than Phoenix but the it's the only location in the state that is gaining population at any decent rate and with that comes traffic concerns, crime concerns, schools scrambling to catch up, diversity issues, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread