Serious question: Who lives where it's NOT turning into a shithole?

MFE

Established Member
All anyone needs to do is read the commentary here and elsewhere, to hear people lamenting the downslide of their familiar areas. "Austin's a shithole now". "San Francisco is a shithole now". "L.A. is a shithole now". "Fremont is a shithole now". "Phoenix is a shithole now". Let's not even tip the scales with commentary about Portland and Seattle, or the politics involved. I'm wondering about a macro trend. Those among us, can any of you say that things within, say, a 15 mile radius of where you live and work are better than they were a decade ago? If so, where?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Describing something as better is quite subjective.

I think my area, Phoenix west valley, is better now with respect to infrastructure and the convenience of retail growing nearby.

However, this comes at a cost. More people.

Where I am, the cost of admittance is higher than other areas. This, so far, has kept the area nice and a pleasant place to be. I don't see it changing.

I retire in 5 years, so if I'm wrong and it all goes down hill, I can easily pick up and move.

I hope I'm right, though. I really like it here.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Only way I could say that is within maybe 2 miles. I live in a really nice small city that hasn't been too affected by the big city trash, but you go 5-10 miles out of that circle and things get really bad. I work in Kent and anyone who knows anything about Western Washington knows Kent is a ****ing shithole! Probably some of the highest property crime and drug addiction in the nation.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I also live in AZ in the East Valley, it's definitely gone down hill over the last 10 years, but some parts are still really nice.
I do however hate how this state keeps turning more and more into California. Also how houses have become unaffordable for most people here

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Those among us, can any of you say that things within, say, a 15 mile radius of where you live and work are better than they were a decade ago? If so, where?

Hmmm, I think a catch-22 will kick in for a lot of people.

A lot of people like to look at the negative things in life. If their area saw a boom in recent years, it's a positive to get all the new shops and stores, but you have to now deal with more traffic. With more shops, will likely come some new apartments. A portion might be low income, and now the local guy just complains about the extra traffic and that shooting last month at the new apartment, saying the area has gone to shit. Ok, but it's no longer a 25 minute drive to Target, the movie theater, or Chipotle. You can't have both.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I still live in a good area for the most part. We just have a lot of cars being swiped from people's driveways in the middle of the night. And it's not people who live in this area, it's the savages who live in the inner shit holes that have already been there for years.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No place is truly crime free, but outside of traffic, thanks to NE folks coming in droves the last few years traffic has gotten busier here.

I'd say the tri-county of St Lucie(excluding East Fort Pierce), Martin and Palm Beach have stayed the same.
Cities like Port St Lucie have blown up, but overall it's still quite nice.
Martin County is starting to expand west but it's still a nice area.
Palm Beach is a huge county, with some bad-but noticeable parts, but overall there's some very nice areas to live in.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Where I am at, not much has changed. Things are roughly the same. If you turn off the local news and local social media pages (because they make you think only bad things happen locally), it's just as it was.

The only things that bother me is more traffic in my area and the towns near by. Since Katrina, it's been bad. In my area, traffic IMO got worse and is getting worse due to families are dieing off and their kids sell the land, in turn, sub divisions are made. We avoid New Orleans and everything near as much as we can. In the few no so good ghetto areas, single parent homes are still the issue from the outside looking in no matter the "color".

Last edited:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
We live in a good area. NW corner of Ark. True it has liberal Fayetteville with the university, but you do not hear any of the wokeness from there. Not that there isn’t any but it is not pushed by the media. Also true it is a smaller community (Bentonville 60k and Rogers 55k). They have have at times tried to pass some woke agenda but get slapped down every time. Cannot say it is better then before because of people moving in and inflation but does not have the crime problem. Just had s murder (1) and it is all over the news because it is rare. That being said we do not live in that area but 20 miles away by the lake in Garfield, pop 872 so for us it is a once a week trip in for groceries and things.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'm an hour West of Austin, in a small town of about 1800 people. Schools are great, they don't tolerate any liberal crap. Kids are not permitted to have non-natural hair colors. It's a very tight knit community where everyone knows each other. Very rural. It's very common to see kids in boots and jeans at school here.

It's about 30 minutes for me to get to a real grocery store. We have maybe 5 restaurants total (including DQ and Sonic) and 2 stop lights in town.

The city council is pushing back on growth and development. They want to keep it small. I hope it works.

I'd rather drive 30+ minutes to get to something I need versus deal with the BS politics. Worth it to me.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I live in Saratoga County in Upstate, NY. It’s a quiet and peaceful conservative area.

I know Travis @SID297 likens it to West Virginia.

Crime is low, there’s no woke bullshit and the sheriff defends the constitution.

Our problem is we can’t escape the policies of the southern tier (NYC). We’re worlds apart on values and way of life.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I live in Saratoga County in Upstate, NY. It’s a quiet and peaceful conservative area.

I know Travis @SID297 likens it to West Virginia.

Crime is low, there’s no woke bullshit and the sheriff defends the constitution.

Our problem is we can’t escape the policies of the southern tier (NYC). We’re worlds apart on values and way of life.
Ain't that the truth.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My area isn't bad at all. I leave my cars and home unlocked.
No murders, no shootings/stabbings, no catalytic converter theft, no high crime at all.
Only thing that sucks around here is the condition of the streets, and all the traffic lights they have installed over the last few years.

ATX5.0

Established Member
Like mentioned above, many parts of Austin are a shithole nowadays, sucks to see because I was born and raised there. I think at least a 20-30 mile radius away from these cities, should do it. Don’t have to deal with the zombies at every corner, etc.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I live in Sussex county NJ in Vernon township very close to the Appalachian trail and it about the only conservative county in the state.

No crime and no mass transportation which means no illegals...lol....also can leave cars unlocked along with the house. Been here 40 years and sadly but its okay has not changed much in that time. Drive an hour or more and you are in the anus of NJ and the tri state area by NYC.

We have a ski resort locally with horse farms and dairy farms so lots of green. Below is a pic of the Stairway to Heaven part of the Appalachian trail that is a very popular travel destination.

21.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I've only lived in the Lehigh Valley area since 2019 but from what I understand a lot of development has happened over the past decade, real estate prices have certainly shot up. I know some of the down town city areas have become safer (although they all still have the sketchy parts).

The town I live in, or I should say right outside of still seems "small town" compared to the 3 major cities in the area. I don't feel unsafe traveling around any parts near where I live.

I do have to laugh that if you read comments about the township I live right outside of on our regional sub-reddit, people say to avoid this area because its not LGBT/Queer friendly. We're apparently a bunch of backwards conservatives who just want to lynch queers left and right, at least according to reddit. I hope that reputation continues to hold on, the alphabet mob can stick to the cities.

I always tell people out west who haven't been to NY, NY state and NY City are two entirely different NY's, with one holding the other hostage.

I live in Sussex county NJ in Vernon township very close to the Appalachian trail and it about the only conservative county in the state.

No crime and no mass transportation which means no illegals...lol....also can leave cars unlocked along with the house. Been here 40 years and sadly but its okay has not changed much in that time. Drive an hour or more and you are in the anus of NJ and the tri state area by NYC.

We have a ski resort locally with horse farms and dairy farms so lots of green. Below is a pic of the Stairway to Heaven part of the Appalachian trail that is a very popular travel destination.

View attachment 1795644

I really enjoyed the few years I lived in Mendham and Califon, was an entirely different NJ compared to where I grew up and lived for 24 years, right outside New Brunswick. Much like CA, the shitty government ruins the good parts of NJ.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

View attachment 1795644
I've only lived in the Lehigh Valley area since 2019 but from what I understand a lot of development has happened over the past decade, real estate prices have certainly shot up. I know some of the down town city areas have become safer (although they all still have the sketchy parts).

The town I live in, or I should say right outside of still seems "small town" compared to the 3 major cities in the area. I don't feel unsafe traveling around any parts near where I live.

I do have to laugh that if you read comments about the township I live right outside of on our regional sub-reddit, people say to avoid this area because its not LGBT/Queer friendly. We're apparently a bunch of backwards conservatives who just want to lynch queers left and right, at least according to reddit. I hope that reputation continues to hold on, the alphabet mob can stick to the cities.

I always tell people out west who haven't been to NY, NY state and NY City are two entirely different NY's, with one holding the other hostage.

I really enjoyed the few years I lived in Mendham and Califon, was an entirely different NJ compared to where I grew up and lived for 24 years, right outside New Brunswick. Much like CA, the shitty government ruins the good parts of NJ.
please tell me you guys remember this place

Action Park Documentary | CLASS ACTION PARK

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
We live 1hr+ northwest of STL. Very conservative. American Flags literally everywhere. Schools seem to be OK but we do hear of leftist school policies. We home-school so whatever. Overall, we love our area. All the crime is in STL and they get everything they deserve in that crappy city. We never go downtown.

Users who are viewing this thread