POS GTR takes a crap at a track....priceless.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Amazing, people are buying one of the best handling cars ever made for under $100,000 and destroying the transmissions on the dragstrip. Who would've thought? :shrug:

Kinda the same deal with '03 cobras having an IRS to improve handling and street manners, then people complaining when they are breaking halfshafts and shattering diff covers at the dragstrip.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Amazing, people are buying one of the best handling cars ever made for under $100,000 and destroying the transmissions on the dragstrip. Who would've thought? :shrug:

Kinda the same deal with '03 cobras having an IRS to improve handling and street manners, then people complaining when they are breaking halfshafts and shattering diff covers at the dragstrip.

yea but the dealers fixed them for free

Nazman

Established Member
So this car has over 600hp and over 100+ launch control usage(with drag radials) and you people consider this shitty? Typical redneck ideology!

Put some slicks on your car and launch it at 4500 rpm over 100 times and see what breaks. You idiots seem to forget that you are comparing an awd car to rwd. But you imbeciles can't decipher shit with brains the size of mosquito nutz.

I have loooonnnnggg over 100 launches not at 4500 RPMs but at 6500RPMs on Nitrous and Slicks with a POS 3660 Tremec.....Not a problem what so ever!

And I have an all motor combo that would smoke that GTR!

Naz

Last edited:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I think people are missing the point, yes all cars do break at one time or another. People don't like this car because of the launch control. Its a feature that your not able to use to its full extent without voiding your warranty. People (including myself) believe that the GTR cant preform like the Nissan said it would without using the launch control. If you wanna talk road racing then you are in the wrong thread. If some one can show some data on the GTR without using launch control and managing some decent times I would love to see them.

edmunds said:
According to Inside Line's testing, the GT-R's acceleration is dramatically slower without launch control — effectively relegating the one-time top dog of the supercar realm to B-list status. Our test of a Japanese-spec model, which is easily the quickest GT-R we've ever tested thanks to high-octane Japanese fuel, proved how much launch control aids Godzilla's holeshot: Zero to 60 mph required 4.5 seconds (4.0 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The quarter-mile slowed to 12.2 seconds. That's a full second slower to 60 (no rollout) and a half-second slower in the quarter mile than the last GT-R press car we tested using launch control.
2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control

I sure someone has done better than 0-60 in 4.0 (roll out) and 12.2 1/4 mile

Last edited:

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member

There's a simple explanation for this:

Drag Racing > anything else having to do with cars

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
So you're a self-proclaimed e-thug?

internet_tough_guy_magazine.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EVO32570

Established Member
Evo's do not break transmissions? LOL! Are you serious. Do a search.

Im sure lots of trannys break for lots of cars. My friend Chris with the black AMS EVO from pensacola was running almost 1000hp with his gt42r setup with stock tranny and axles. Only thing he had upgraded was the clutch. The motor broke. Tranny didnt. What do you drive 25psi??? You should just go drive it into a tree. Ive never seen anybody nuthug a car that you will never own.

earl lee

Established Member
A dealer won't warranty a car if its been abused.

And the shouldnt, however, Nissan wont warranty a GTR if LC has been pressed at all it seems.

-nissan tech looks at block box data, sees LC has been pressed once, stamps warranty voided, GTR owner sells car in anguish, buys a c6 z06-

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member

Abused? No. Used as designed? Yes.

How many trucks do you think Ford would sell if they said "We've installed an information tracker in the new F-150. If we find out that you've towed anything, your warranty is voided."

None.

The GTR was designed to perform at maximum capability with Launch Control on. However, if the owner uses the vehicle and it's features as designed, the warranty is void. This is not a good business accumen.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
When your mustang breaks at the track how much does it cost on average to fix it? You could blow your motor, transmission, and rear end and still get it fixed for less than the trans on the GTR...the one that breaks when you use the performance buttons that NISSAN INSTALLED.

Last time i checked, mustangs don't use state of the art components. You are making a biased argument, not a fair comparison. A dual clutch rear mounted trans is no run of the mill setup. A T56 on the other hand, I could find if I went outside and flipped over a couple of rocks. The trans on any other exotic will cost you a pretty penny as well; its not just this car. Like was said, you gotta pay to play.

And "Drag race > everything other kind of motorsport." Really? This is what happens when a car like the GTR is reviewed by a lot of drag racers. Everything else goes out the window except how the car performs on a 1/4 mile. That is about 25% of the capabilities the car was really designed for. I gurantee you guys. Check some road racer forums like trackpedia or cornercarvers from guys who have ridden in, driven, or own the car. You won't be seeing too many "fail" posts.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member

No see, ALOT of dealers replaced halfshafts that where blown at the track. FREE, under warranty. Why? Cuz Ford knows what people do with Cobras and GT500s. Nissan seems to think that although they make these outrageous claims, everyone is happy with the numbers staying on the paper. Well wrong they where! God damn people wanting to see what 3.6 to 60mph is like...:kaboom:
Thats the issue!
Nissan said the car could do all these wonderfull things. Well gues what SON, it can't without breaking! Yes it was only some cars, but the thing is, it shouldn't break at all! You wanna claim you can own porsche, great, do it without breaking! You wanna claim to be an exotic, good, but prove it with consistent times. The Nissan wrote checks the GTR cannot cash. So it's already failed. Nevermind the Logitech USB 2.0 transmission....

SVTBMG

Banned
12k to replace.

Companies already have upgraded gears for the GTR.

You are not making your case here pal. 12k for the trans is still far too much. Yes our stock IRS's will bust with too many hard launches, but I can get another complete IRS for less then a $1000 or a built solid for that much and it will not break that easy. The GTR is a cool car I will give you that, but it is clearly not fiscally responsible to drive that car to its full potential. They just spent too much time with Sony and the Playstation crew making a useless TV screen that gives you more information then anyone needs even on the space shuttle, and overlooked some vital components, but good luck with your future arguments that this car is worth a damn with the cost involved to make it handle even its factory rated power. I will take my 80k that I would use to buy a GTR and buy another Cobra or F it an 02 ZO6 and chuck the rest of the 50k left over after buying the car and build a bulletproof 1000hp motor and awesome suspension and brakes and wave buy buy to you in your technologically over done and mechanically underwhelming GTR:beer:

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Last time i checked, mustangs don't use state of the art components. You are making a biased argument, not a fair comparison. A dual clutch rear mounted trans is no run of the mill setup. A T56 on the other hand, I could find if I went outside and flipped over a couple of rocks. The trans on any other exotic will cost you a pretty penny as well; its not just this car. Like was said, you gotta pay to play.

And "Drag race > everything other kind of motorsport." Really? This is what happens when a car like the GTR is reviewed by a lot of drag racers. Everything else goes out the window except how the car performs on a 1/4 mile. That is about 25% of the capabilities the car was really designed for. I gurantee you guys. Check some road racer forums like trackpedia or cornercarvers from guys who have ridden in, driven, or own the car. You won't be seeing too many "fail" posts.

Too bad that when you use the "state of the art components" as they were designed then your warrantee is voided. That's why I'd take the mustang over the over-hyped GTR any day.

As for the drag racing comment, it's all a matter of opinion, but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that drag racing is great since alot of these GTR's that are breaking are doing so using the feature that is supposed to enable them to go fast on the strip. As for your road racing forums I couldn't care less and will not be checking them out. Road racing does not interest me in the least...but hey, at least it's not drifting.

Last edited:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Anything can happen those are nice cars, way over priced but nice. Nissan does not make junk vehicles. I love my 350z and my Murano SL-AWD. I have seen plenty of vidoes of Terminators and Mach's breaking at the track. I love mustangs and all but the Skyline GTR-35 is also a nice car.

Users who are viewing this thread