Paxton drivability questions

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't think anything was accomplished here and I'll tell you why.

I'm in the market for a Blower right now. I'm weighing all options because I believe all the setups to offer different benefits. Some of the things that are important to me are Price, power potential and most importantly drivabilty. I do not want the car to sputter, stall, choke, decal in a negative way or be difficult to tune in anyway considering I don't want to be tied to any tuner that's cornered one product.

I can completely understand what is being posted about the MAF signal. What validates it to me (since I figured Shaun to be a bit overbearing with tuning) is that the other tuners knew exactly what he was saying and backed it RIGHT up like it's been an issue for them in the past as well. That scares me. The options with Blowers are a tight race with the prices being the big separator. A strike against any option will hurt it at this point. Evolution uses Lund for all there tuning also. However, They do not push Paxton.

However, I have been reading this board since the day I got my '13 and I have never read one single thread about poor driveablity from a Paxton car no matter who tuned it. I do believe that Lund, AED, or JPC can get the tune spot on and the drivabilty just right that these poor signals aren't a huge deal. But do I really want a blower kit that the tuner sigh's before beginning the tune?

Just my current position. Carry on. :pop:

great observation.

as far as evo, evo isn't lund. great bunch of guys, they are heavily invested in whipple / kb, as I am in vortech / Paxton

I get referrals all the time from lund for people wanting kits.

vs talking to a seller of kits, give lund a call and ask them about the tuning on the kits.

don't take it from our ears, take it from theirs. I don't think you'll get a sigh from them on any kit,including the paxton

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
You should give Adam a call at rev auto. Like I said before my car ran like shit, I kept complaining to my tuner and he pretty much blew me off like I was ****ing crazy. Anyway I ended up meeting Adam at the track one day and picked his brain for a little bit, he seemed like he knew his shit so I dropped my car off at the shop. All I can say is all my issues were resolved and my car was a monster. Night and day between the two tunes.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Evolution doesn't sell paxton or vortech this is true but they will install and tune one for ya. I know a guy who had his vortech installed and tuned by lund through evolution performance. He hasn't reported any issues to me. My question to shaun is, do you charge more to tune a paxton then you would for a roush whipple kb, since the paxtons / vortechs are harder to tune?

hand-filer

Established Member
I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt Terry.........and then I read this.

No, I never wanted him to tune the car. When I was introducted to him. I said. "ahhhh mr drivability, the king of tuning...... Maybe I should have you whip something up for me to see how great you can make my car drive.

It's called sarcasm and having fun with someone.

It's called being an asshole.

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
Beefcake/Lund tuned my car. They did a great job. I had tuning issues from the previous tuner. I called customer support and got no where. Called Beefcake and asked for a tune. After telling him my mods, he instantly insisted on getting id1000's. He said I'd be limited with the 47#. So with knowing where I want to take the car on the track, it was an easy decision. I've called him multiple times regarding questions. He's answered them everytime. Lund has sent me questions asking about the car. The customer support is a 10 in my book. If he was trying to make a bunch of money he would have gotten it from me. I am a perfectionist. I can't handle driving a car with mechanical issues. If the tune was crap I would say it. I have bought all my parts from different vendors. My mistake. Meaning I've over paid. Beef knew this and still has worked with me.

Shaun@AED

Evolution doesn't sell paxton or vortech this is true but they will install and tune one for ya. I know a guy who had his vortech installed and tuned by lund through evolution performance. He hasn't reported any issues to me. My question to shaun is, do you charge more to tune a paxton then you would for a roush whipple kb, since the paxtons / vortechs are harder to tune?

No sir.

calgarybandit

Established Member
I had 0 issues with Shaun tuning my setup in my sig. My Vortech kit & fuel system were purchased from Terry with know complaints. So many times the banter on Turbo vs supercharger kits is like the same issues we have with religion! everyone makes a choice for a reason.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have been and on more than one occasion. I respect both of these guys but this is getting to be a bit silly already.

I agree, and I've been trying to avoid this type of stuff. But I simply will not sit by when someone is going to basically say I am taking advantage of customers and pushing stuff on them.

I sell product. I have never pretended to do anything different. But I also take care of customers and try to steer them in the best direction without costing them extra money.

Shane who I quoted below is a prime example. I talked to him several times during normal hours, after hours, he had already explained he had a kit and just needed help. Most know I can be reached after hours, so they call. Doesn't matter that he didn't buy from me, I still answered the questions.

The last time we talked, he explained that he wanted to come down for a dyno tune. I talked to him about his goals. If I'm trying to take a customer for money. I would have scheduled a dyno time, and billed him the remote tune plus the dyno time. Then when he was out of injector, sell him the injectors, rescheduled the dyno time and have him come back and make more dyno money.

But, instead of selling him a bunch of dyno time, that is my biggest profit margin product. I pushed the injectors. Why, because I knew we could tune the car and him not spend a nickel on the dyno. The $$ he would have spent on the dyno time, paid for the injectors. Now he is $500-$600 to the better.

I would have made 4-5 times the money on the dyno than I would have made on the injectors (and still got the injector sale). But I did not. And that's how I do business. To infer anything but that will do nothing but put me on full tilt pissed off mode and I simply won't hold back. That is just me. I take this stuff and my customers very very personally.

Beefcake/Lund tuned my car. They did a great job. I had tuning issues from the previous tuner. I called customer support and got no where. Called Beefcake and asked for a tune. After telling him my mods, he instantly insisted on getting id1000's. He said I'd be limited with the 47#. So with knowing where I want to take the car on the track, it was an easy decision. I've called him multiple times regarding questions. He's answered them everytime. Lund has sent me questions asking about the car. The customer support is a 10 in my book. If he was trying to make a bunch of money he would have gotten it from me. I am a perfectionist. I can't handle driving a car with mechanical issues. If the tune was crap I would say it. I have bought all my parts from different vendors. My mistake. Meaning I've over paid. Beef knew this and still has worked with me.

CPRsm

Shaun and CPR, just curious do yall have any cars winning any racing at sanctioned events. Nmra or nmca. Svtperf is a proven shaun nutswinger forum. Gauranteed this will be deleted in no time.
Are there any kits out there that are winning sanctioned events? Evo at the coyote shootout. Anyone else? All I usually see are "records." Fastest blue 2011 coyote streetcar on 275's with stock auto. Other than that I see nothing other than TNT cars.

But yes, one of my customers did install one of my parts on his car and hit some new personal bests. I believe he's won the last two True Street events this year. Does that count for NMRA?
Said True Street winning part is available on our coyote kits also. Sorry I don't run to every site bragging about it. I will be sure to keep you informed if he wins another.

How is your rev auto tune with your paxton? Im sure just fine. Drives like stock too?

Like I said, Paxton owners would be upset if they didn't see the same issues lol

So everyone with paxton/vortech is fine as long as Shaun or CPR didnt tune them because they are to hard. Hahaha it all makes sense now.
Did you see any customers here complaining about Shaun's tune or his inability to do so? I didn't see any. All I saw were two companies that make a living tuning them with first hand experience, answering a post to a specific question with data logs. Why don't you throw up a log and see if you can help him out and show him something different.
Or are you the kinda guy that just talks shit like this and then runs to S197 forums whining when his post gets deleted? While blaming it on AED nuts wingers and that oh so evil SVT.

Last edited:

DSargent09

Established Member
Are there any kits out there that are winning sanctioned events? Evo at the coyote shootout. Anyone else? All I usually see are "records." Fastest blue 2011 coyote streetcar on 275's with stock auto. Other than that I see nothing other than TNT cars.

But yes, one of my customers did install one of my parts on his car and hit some new personal bests. I believe he's won the last two True Street events this year. Does that count for NMRA?
Said True Street winning part is available on our coyote kits also. Sorry I don't run to every site bragging about it. I will be sure to keep you informed if he wins another.

Like I said, Paxton owners would be upset if they didn't see the same issues lol

Did you see any customers here complaining about Shaun's tune or his inability to do so? I didn't see any. All I saw were two companies that make a living tuning them with first hand experience, answering a post to a specific question with data logs. Why don't you throw up a log and see if you can help him out and show him something different.
Or are you the kinda guy that just talks shit like this and then runs to S197 forums whining when his post gets deleted? While blaming it on AED nuts wingers and that oh so evil SVT.

What issue? You keep saying Paxton's have driveability issues with no factual data. Bring a customer in here with a paxton that is tuned correctly and has driveability issues.

They are harder to tune clearly. But drive excellent.

CPR have you had a paxton car?
Do you have a coyote car?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
What issue? You keep saying Paxton's have driveability issues with no factual data. Bring a customer in here with a paxton that is tuned correctly and has driveability issues.

This guys killing me, come on here questioning two people that have more knowledge about these cars than you ever will in 10 lifetimes. Are you a tuner? Have you ever tuned a car? Lets see your dyno logs of paxton cars you've tuned and see your first hand experience, o wait you don't have any. Stfu now and go back to the kiddie table.

CPRsm

My customer posted factual data on his maf signal already in here that owned a Paxton kit. On 11psi the bov's fluttered back washing air threw the maf. That was with two Paxton bov's. Caused the engine to die between shifts and coming to stops. It was "fixed." But people confuse a "good tune" with a software bandaid to cover up hardware issues. But that's the difference between thinking it's done right, and "good enough." I'm not sure how Shaun or others do it. But kits that don't have drivability issues, don't need to forced open loop down low, raise idle rpm or whatever else tuners do.

Nope. Worked on one. Trying to fix the maf washing and clocking the tube trying to fix the signal.

Nope. Do I need one? I do get paid to work on them. Does that count?

How many boosted coyotes have you tuned?
How many boosted maf based cars have you designed from scratch?

notchy444

Established Member

Hey I'm the one CPR is talking about, I had to bring my car to his shop due to drivability of my Paxton. I for one was not happy with the way my car DD. Nothing compared to the NA tune I had from Shaun to start with. Now don't think Iv always been a fan boy of turbos. If I'm not mistaken I was the first to try the "torque booster" with a boss 302 intake manifold and post up results. I found that what Shaun did to make my car drive "like stock" would be ok for the masses but maybe I'm just one of the rare people that can feel the difference in the tune/ hardware related issues. But seems like u know everything and have been in every other power added coyote to know the difference. I'm not here to bash anyone but wanted to give my personal experience with a setup like the op originally asked for. Please feel free to ask any other questions and ill be more then happy to give my opinion.

lovebread

Established Member
1K miles later I'm wishing I went single turbo or vmp. Currently unable to appreciate why people would go Paxton over a turbo, but I already had the boss manifold and headers so it was the next logical step for me.

Miss my NA AED tune so much, 700.2hp is wasted on the street and definitely my wallet.

Coyote13

Established Member
I havent read through the entire thread but i see a lot of draw through/ blow through talk? Can we tune speed density on these cars. My understanding it is the way to go with a boosted setup.

CPRsm

You can't read. You're the idiot. I didn't say that you or JPC moved the o2s or that one or the other had a delay. That was directed at both kits at the same time so now I will correct myself.

CPRs kits have bad driveability because there is a delayed reading from the o2s
My bad, I missed this bit of genius. You don't know the difference between the two kits. Like I said, ignorant statement. But you confused me calling your statement ignorant, with me calling you an idiot. So I guess that's why you called me an idiot? Because you don't know the difference between ignorant and idiotic? And you're calling me an idiot? That's rich LOL
I'll play along though. Show me anything to support your statement. I won't hold my breathe.
But when OP got his answers, he was shown data logs by 3 different people to support the opinion.

Also CPR you are always talking about taking the bet and blah blah blah... Why haven't you asked shaun to take beefs bet? I think we all want to see that 700hp paxton on stock boost.....
Actually I did talk to him. I'll make sure to notify you next time we talk. Because I'm so interested in other peoples bets and blah blah blah.
What the shit does Terry's bet have to do with me anyways? Starting to look pretty desperate grabbing straws to come after me for an answer you didn't like. But again, I'll play. Get the know it alls to take my bet for 10k and I'll get Shaun take to Terry's. He won't have to participate in the bet. I'll cover his loses when he skips it, and I'll still have 8k to blow. Make it happen Kaptain! Maybe I'll go buy a coyote since owning one is the only way people think you can gain experience with maf air flow design and understand data logs lol

Users who are viewing this thread