Paxton drivability questions

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What's your pcm code?

Did you install, or a shop?

You could always have another shop do a once over just to verify install. Another option is to have the pcm reflashed I'd it's a bad pcm code.

Back to the topic at hand, I have a 14' GT and have Paxton kit with TQ booster installed on my car and have had nothing but problems with drivability and starting since day one.

They car is an absolute whore to drive and I regret buying this kit everyday, I truly feel "correct me if I'm wrong" that certain cars take these kits much better than others just based on the research I have done and what I've read.

I, have an excellent tuner who has literally bent over backwards to work with me to resolve the issues but they still exist. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the kit 2x and have done 20-30 pulls on the street 1 speeding ticket and countless tanks of gas with no resolve. Lol

However the car runs like a mofo under wot and has already trapped 130mph before the torque booster install so perhaps I'm complaining about something that I should just suck up and live with lol

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one.

My biggest complaint is that the car literally drives itself anything under 2500rpms like the throttle body is still open which makes this very hard to drive!

Last edited:

GT500692

Established Member
Something tune or mechanical has to be wrong. My paxton car drives great.

Back to the topic at hand, I have a 14' GT and have Paxton kit with TQ booster installed on my car and have had nothing but problems with drivability and starting since day one.

They car is an absolute whore to drive and I regret buying this kit everyday, I truly feel "correct me if I'm wrong" that certain cars take these kits much better than others just based on the research I have done and what I've read.

I, have an excellent tuner who has literally bent over backwards to work with me to resolve the issues but they still exist. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the kit 2x and have done 20-30 pulls on the street 1 speeding ticket and countless tanks of gas with no resolve. Lol

However the car runs like a mofo under wot and has already trapped 130mph before the torque booster install so perhaps I'm complaining about something that I should just suck up and live with lol

My biggest complaint is that the car literally drives itself anything under 2500rpms like the throttle body is still open which makes this very hard to drive!

calgarybandit

Established Member
Something tune or mechanical has to be wrong. My paxton car drives great.

Agreed I have had 0 issues from day 1 with my Vortech kit. And Shaun (AED) never raised an issue once tuning me with my MAF signal.

Mikegee1028

Established Member

I'd REALLY look into who is tuning your car because I'm almost positive that's a tune issue...

S197OnSpray

Established Member

Do you have a stock throttle body? If so tell your tuner to stop messing with the dashpod settings. I've had this happen a few times with different setups Paxton and twin turbo and both times it was the tuner messing with the dashpod settings. I spoke with the lead calibrator at SCT about this and he advised that nothing should be changed unless you are 1) having low speed driving issues or 2) have an aftermarket throttle body.

Dan Desio at Pro Dyno refused to return my dashpod setting to stock and my paxton drove like shit, main reason I took it off. Dan is a shit tuner anyways but that's another story. When I put the twins on, my new tuners original file drove perfect, once I toasted the clutch and put in a twin disk we retuned it and he messed with the dashpod settings and BAM, same thing the car would idle like shit and would drive it self at low speed and sometime accellerate on it's own. Once he changed the settings back to where they were before all of my issues went away. Maybe that info will help some.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
To the OP...Ive had ZERO issues with my Roush TVS Kit which i just added the CAI to make it the full stage 3 kit. Driveability is perfect and stocklike once fully warmed and when you buy a blower kit thats how it should come out of the box. You should not have to "FIX" or "Modify" something that is brand new to get it to run correctly when it is supposed to be a complete kit , paxton may be a budget kit but 5 grand is still alot of fukin money . Im not currently tuned by anyone who posted in this thread just sharing my experience, for a DD kit the Roush/VMP kits are hard to beat. Yeah anyone can build a motor pulley down ,get a bigger head unit etc. etc. etc. to achieve track goals but not everyone lives at the track. Im sure whichever kit you buy you will be happy with, good luck now i need a advil after reading this entire thread.

Last edited:

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I recently had my Paxton car tuned and It runs AMAZING smooth as shit no joke. I wouldn't bother with custom intercooler piping, maf relocating, translators etc. Just try a different tuner if your having driveability issues, assuming nothing is wrong on you end. On/Off throttle is so smooth I feel a small hit from the rear end and that's it. Makes me embarrassed to have used a BAMA at one point :coolman:

bullittrevor

Established Member
Another Paxton 5.0 with 0 drive ability problems here. 2012 M6. Lund remote tuning. Even with the first 'base' tune that was sent to me I haven't had a problem. The car died once while in a parking lot but that was more of me not having driven stick in a few weeks. About a week in and I haven't had a single issue. No jumping/surging, no rpm dipping etc. Feels great at wot even with the 3.8 pulley and stock air box. My last car was an 08 bullitt with a whipple that was tuned locally in Houston by a well known shop and I was never happy with it, had idle issues, felt very sluggish and made me regret buying it, so I know exactly how frustrating it can be after dropping this kind of money on something and having problems. I've gotten more attention/time from Lund over emails than I did in person at shops I've been too. I usually get a response within the hour. Just my .02

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Update, My car is 13 with Boss IM, SW headers catted full exhaust and I Lund dyno tuned via beefcake and his beekcake special. Car ran well never had stalling issues but felt a little soft on part throttle but dynoed two different dynos 627, 649 whp. Now fast forward toasted my clutch thought it was trans went magnum swap with spec twin disc had some fitment issues got the car back 3 weeks ago sent ticket to lund for updated gearset and new rear gears. They sent it over in a hour but asked me my maf orientation which I told them and they said there is a new calibration which will give better drivability which I said yes and get this no charge!!! Well 8 or so datalogs later almost at my final tune and the car drives like NA part throttle and pulls like a freight train WOT. Also my mpgs are better even though doing a lot WOT datalogging. I have to say very impressed with Lund and really loving the car so much more!!! So if you are worried about drivability and paxton one word Lund!!! Not to say others can't just my personal real world experience! Now track times will be added in about two weeks still letting the clutch work in! A big thank you to Jon Lund II and of course the man who made it happen Beefcake!

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
I'm still waiting on my Beefcake Vortech JT but after reading all this I'm sure glad Lund is doing the tuning. I'm confident I will not have any tune related issues that can't be resolved!

Users who are viewing this thread