Opiod crisis.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Your brain is the most powerful part of your body. That's one thing I think you agree. In both cases you can say no though. There isn't a question of people getting dependent/addicted to things. Are you saying the drug is more powerful than choice?

Again, I am not stating that people are not part of the problem. There are those that allow or embrace the addiction.

Now that we have that out of the way. There are those that have no control over the "addiction" because it becomes a physical and psychological dependency. These drugs work in many different ways. They alter the perceptions in the brain's receptors, they alter the signals sent by nerves throughout the body. These actions have adverse actions that, in many instances, create a psychological and physical dependency created by the patients brain, CNS, muscles, etc...

It is exactly why I live in pain every day myself. Addiction has been linked to genetics. The doctors would only do so much for my shoulder as they could not take any more bone out to try and fix my AC disorder which has contributed to numerous dislocations and tears along with secondary issues attributed to compensation now popping up. As I age, the insurance companies will allow more fixes to be attempted. For now, they want me on long term pain medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Again, I am not stating that people are not part of the problem. There are those that allow or embrace the addiction.

Now that we have that out of the way. There are those that have no control over the "addiction" because it becomes a physical and psychological dependency. These drugs work in many different ways. They alter the perceptions in the brain's receptors, they alter the signals sent by nerves throughout the body. These actions have adverse actions that, in many instances, create a psychological and physical dependency created by the patients brain, CNS, muscles, etc...

It is exactly why I live in pain every day myself. Addiction has been linked to genetics. The doctors would only do so much for my shoulder as they could not take any more bone out to try and fix my AC disorder which has contributed to numerous dislocations and tears along with secondary issues attributed to compensation now popping up. As I age, the insurance companies will allow more fixes to be attempted. For now, they want me on long term pain medication.

I won't waste my time quoting him/her but I don't hate people because we might disagree in the course of a discussion.

With that out of the way, where you and I disagree is over the supposed lack of control.

o2gt

Established Member
I won't waste my time quoting him/her but I don't hate people because we might disagree in the course of a discussion.

With that out of the way, where you and I disagree is over the supposed lack of control.
I agree that people facing these problems have to do their best to take control and also need to understand what's going on in their bodies.
As I said before these drugs to crazy things to your brain. Yes people made the choice to take the drug . But when you become addicted to the drugs your brain works differently.do you ever get thirsty or hungry? When it gets bad all you can think about is getting some water or finding food. That's how the brain responds because it wants to survive. When someone is addicted the brain will put that over other needs. It's a response you are not controlling. This does not mean you can't get better or you are relieved of responsibility but it illustrates how these types of drugs have very stong effects on a person.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Legalize Drugs.

Problem solved.

Let the junkies kill them selves off, survival of the fittest.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I had seen lots of reports out of Ohio and wondered what was going in. Do they just report it more or do they have a bigger problem?

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So the President will be called a racist for this? I bet the leftist say, "Yo bitches, he only did this because white people is dying"

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if doctors (not all of course) werent a big part of the problem they wouldnt be arresting many of them and shutting down pill mills all over FL.

of course, of ALL the doctors/md out there it is only a small percentage who abuse the system. many doctors do not even prescribe pain killers due to the medicine they practice. and of those who do prescribe them it has to be a small number who allow abuse, or participate, to continue.

and the pharma companies are aware as well. when they see clinics (pill mills) in certain areas ordering 50x as many pills as the average clinic they know whats going on. but $>*

im sure many doctor's who prescribe any drugs are also shareholders in the companies that make them. same with dentists who recommend using certain products, etc... they have vested interests in what they sell/promote/push... almost like a commission.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Our town is apparently some "gateway to the west" for heroin. There are overdoses here daily, it's insane. I say let them die, problem solved. Once all the users are dead then we will no longer have a drug problem, and it didn't cost a dime of tax payer money. Easy.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my mother is the dean at a local high school. she says they deal with this often. stupid kids take pills from their parents medicine cabinet and then bring them to school to sell to other stupid kids. not just pain killers but anti-depressant drugs and whatever else they can find. i visited her the other day at school and the police and paramedics were in her office taking a kid away on a stretcher who took some unknown pills that some other kid sold him for $5. happens all the time too. they may as well open up an ER in the main office next to the probation office. what happened to sneaking booze into school or kids taking lsd or smoking joints?? taking some random pill from some random kid? idiots.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I was sitting in the lobby of UNC hospital last year and read an article in one of their publications that 80% of heroin users are introduced to opioids though legitimate prescriptions for pain meds.

This was the second post in this thread. Perhaps some missed it. I thought I'd repost it for the "let 'em die" crowd.

Stanger00

Established Member
There is no changing the Bible thumpers view of this problem that opioid addiction is a user problem and not a md or pharma problem. Never mind the science of how highly addictive these drugs are.

A person who takes opioid medication to treat pain as prescribed will form a dependency to the drug. That in itself is not an addiction, however the dependency does more often than not lead to an addiction. This is whether a person has a genetic addiction problem or not.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
This was the second post in this thread. Perhaps some missed it. I thought I'd repost it for the "let 'em die" crowd.
Most of them wouldn't even realize that their grandma is probably a closet pain killer addict.

My mother-in-law had a bad addiction and was the most self-righteous woman I've ever met. He family refused to accept that she had problem until one night I had to take her to the emergency room after falling in the kitchen. Told the duty nurse her "dizziness" was most likely pain killer abuse related and got the whole "you probably don't know what your talking about" response from the nurse....until they started making a list of the medications she was taking. 7 of which where narcotics. She would go from doctor to doctor complaining about her "pain" so she could get prescriptions from each.

Her husband knew, but he didn't want to embarrass her. He finally checked her into rehab when he realized he was too old and weak to pick her up if she kept falling. (he was a damn good man too)

I had known for years, but only spoke about it to my wife and the father-in-law (he and I were close friends, rest in peace). My wife's family finally recognized the problem once she got into rehab.

Long story short, most people don't realize that many of their parents or grandparents are pain killer addicts.

But, we should "let them all die" right?

Famine

Established Member
I can believe this since last year around this time, I had 2 surgeries one after another and now to this day, I still crave the hydrocodone on a high level.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I can believe this since last year around this time, I had 2 surgeries one after another and now to this day, I still crave the hydrocodone on a high level.

its scary. i had a minor surgery not too long ago and was given a pain killer prescription. i dont recall which one but it was one of the powerful ones. i put the bottle away and planned to avoid them at all cost. luckily i didnt feel the need to take any and ended up tossing them away. but i have experienced pain so bad before that you'll take whatever the dr gives you to make it go away.

a big problem for most of these people that start out legit is the effectiveness starts to wear off. they build up a tolerance to it. so they end up having to take more to fight the pain. then theyre hooked and seeking more than their prescription will allow. next thing you know theyre spiraling towards full on drug addiction.

i had a customer (not on this forum) who had a bad back injury and was prescribed pain killers. he ended up becoming addicted and passed out while driving his prized muscle car and crashing, and died in the crash.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't agree with the "let em die" comments.

However, its ridiculous to say that the user essentially loses total control and cant make a damn decision for themselves.

****'s sake. Personal responsibility is long gone in this country.

Famine

Established Member
I don't agree with the "let em die" comments.

However, its ridiculous to say that the user essentially loses total control and cant make a damn decision for themselves.

****'s sake. Personal responsibility is long gone in this country.

Yes and no. I would agree it would take some period of time before you're addicted to the point of not making that choice. You can be addicted and then choose to quit, but I do believe there is a time where you will basically get to where it's almost impossible to stop. Some just don't have the will power to do it before it's too late. Some don't want to quit. Hell, I didn't to a degree. I deal with pain every day though because I have too much in my life to lose from bs like that.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes and no. I would agree it would take some period of time before you're addicted to the point of not making that choice. You can be addicted and then choose to quit, but I do believe there is a time where you will basically get to where it's almost impossible to stop. Some just don't have the will power to do it before it's too late. Some don't want to quit. Hell, I didn't to a degree. I deal with pain every day though because I have too much in my life to lose from bs like that.

Agree a thousand percent on all points.

Ive dealt with some pretty extreme pain (ruptured appendix) and have also taken persc narcotics (Vicodin and norco on separate occasions) so i can relate to an extent. Ive never felt addcited or craved the drugs. Knowing how powerful they are, i'd honestly rather deal with the pain. That said, i dont have any chronic pain, so i cannot relate there.

I just dont accept that "junkies" have no control and we should blame everyone other than the user. Many of them, as you point out, dont want to quit and enjoy the routine in some sick way.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
its scary. i had a minor surgery not too long ago and was given a pain killer prescription. i dont recall which one but it was one of the powerful ones. i put the bottle away and planned to avoid them at all cost. luckily i didnt feel the need to take any and ended up tossing them away. but i have experienced pain so bad before that you'll take whatever the dr gives you to make it go away.

a big problem for most of these people that start out legit is the effectiveness starts to wear off. they build up a tolerance to it. so they end up having to take more to fight the pain. then theyre hooked and seeking more than their prescription will allow. next thing you know theyre spiraling towards full on drug addiction.

i had a customer (not on this forum) who had a bad back injury and was prescribed pain killers. he ended up becoming addicted and passed out while driving his prized muscle car and crashing, and died in the crash.
I am working with my doc to reduce them as we speak. I

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread