Opiod crisis.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Anything can become addictive if you don't use it correctly and you find people abusing (intentionally and sometimes not) these drugs because they like the feeling or get in the mindset of believing they need to use these chemicals at the first sign of pain or just flat out using them in a manner not prescribed. Doctors can not make a patient act truthfully in terms of revealing legit pain, the use of other substances that can and do alter the pain killers in question, etc.., The patient needs to be held accountable because ultimately he/she holds the answers to the doctor's questions.

I am just wondering how much patient care experience you have, or addiction counseling, or what part of healthcare your degree is in, or even how much you volunteer at a hospital or addiction counseling center to know so much about the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve said this in another post. Im guessing that most handicap plate drivers are on a prescription drug or st least drive like they are. They’re not driving ****ed up because they are handicap but the opioid their dr gives them. All people have some type of arthritis by a certain age and by 85 and operating a dozer for forty years my neighbor still drives. It’s terrible because he’s going to kill a kid and probably live.
Reminds me of people who text and drive. Do not give a shit until they kill someone.

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Where will the govt intervene? Who to hold responsible? And are we going to penalize companies for people with addictive or abussive traits?

The vast majority of people taking these drugs are responsible. The stigma of abuse is shouldered on mostly decent people.

We have to figure this out. Stupid laws are because of stupid people.

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I had my leg crushed , and T12 broken, 15 years ago.
They made an effert to repair my leg , with screws and plastic.
Never did anything about the T12 injury.
I was prescribed 15 mg x 4 oxy.
Worked every day after the fixator came off.
Built bridges and dams , not easy work .
Then one day , i was told , since i had minute traces of alcohol in my piss , i could no longer have my pain meds .
Never ran out early , but have had phamacy personnel short my script.
Has been 2 years since i have had anything other than weed for my pain.
I also now have difficulty walking , standing and sitting .
The crisis , is treating all people as if they were junkies .

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Then one day , i was told , since i had minute traces of alcohol in my piss , i could no longer have my pain meds .
Sounds painful. I agree completely with the stigma issue. But how to tackle this problem and what can we do at this point. I am baffled that a straight non addicting severe pain reliever has not been developed in this day and age.

It takes a crisis to put that kind of research and development to reduce this?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
I am just wondering how much patient care experience you have, or addiction counseling, or what part of healthcare your degree is in, or even how much you volunteer at a hospital or addiction counseling center to know so much about the topic.

Like your previous post, you offered nothing concrete except "you are wrong." Offer something tangible and you know what? I might feel for these poor sonsabitches.

Who ultimately takes the drugs? Is there a disease for making poor choices?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

PM me, I may have a solution for you.:cool:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Like your previous post, you offered nothing concrete except "you are wrong." Offer something tangible and you know what? I might feel for these poor sonsabitches.

Who ultimately takes the drugs? Is there a disease for making poor choices?

Like you provide in almost every post you make on this site?

Want tangible though? I was an Army Medic for four years with combat experience with a FAR. I worked a year in a pharmacy and spent ten years working in Anesthesia, eight of those years split between two major university medical centers, have a degree in the field, was on a budgeting team, and managed an Anesthesia Support Department.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Like you provide in almost every post you make on this site?

Want tangible though? I was an Army Medic for four years with combat experience with a FAR. I worked a year in a pharmacy and spent ten years working in Anesthesia, eight of those years split between two major university medical centers, have a degree in the field, was on a budgeting team, and managed an Anesthesia Support Department.

You can give flu shots?

All your experience did nothing to show me why it isn't the fault of the individual rather than the doctor.

Look at the person in this topic who said he was on these opiods yet wouldn't succumb to the ill effects. I take it he isn't a heroin addict or script addict. Understandably it is easy to blame the person who is trying to stop your pain but the user has to be recognized as the larger participant in the problematic equation.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
You can give flu shots?

All your experience did nothing to show me why it isn't the fault of the individual rather than the doctor.

What experience do you have super scholar?

I never stated that the consumer was without fault. There are instances where it is, never tried denying that. Although, I can see how one that is narrow minded and hateful would twist words to fit a holier than thou narrative.

Big Pharm lobbies for certain laws and rules for healthcare. Their reps push certain drugs in hospitals and practices. Lots of those drugs as highly addictive and those are the little bullet points at 2pt font on the slideshow. Healthcare has become a factory industry where it is all about getting more patients in and out the door with less real provider-patient time.

Insurance drives tests and procedures rather than providers. This ends becoming a problem because now we are in more of a management versus cure system. One where Pharmaceutical Companies are making stupid amounts of money and dumping my tons at the feet of politicians to keep the system going this route to maximize heir profits.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You can give flu shots?

14 yo kid has serious injury and must take serious meds. Is it the kids fault for being given a known addictive substance. This is an age where a kid does not know, normally.

How about when a soldier gets blown the **** up and has to take them for years.

It is a situation I am in. From busted pelvis, 2 C spine surgeries which increased strength but did not solve pain issues. After two helicopter hard landings (lol) in my career, every step I take hurts. Imagine having a spine so injured you cannot turn around to wipe your own ass because of pain.

So the option I am left with are take pain meds or live in constant pain. I am in the space of not being surgical while having bulging discs, not enough fluid around the nerves, and few other things.

The dependency is a small thing when your other option could be a bullet to the head.

Personally, it hurts more not being able to run behind my son's bike to teach him to ride or take my daughter to dance because my caregiver has other commitments.

I am not blaming others as it would accomplish nothing. It is what it is and what it is, is that it sucks.

Not sure how to solve this opioid problem though.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
^^^^^

Dale, I don't think discussion (at least from my POV) is about people using these meds responsibly.

I never stated that the consumer was without fault. There are instances where it is, never tried denying that. Although, I can see how one that is narrow minded and hateful would twist words to fit a holier than thou narrative.

Big Pharm lobbies for certain laws and rules for healthcare. Their reps push certain drugs in hospitals and practices. Lots of those drugs as highly addictive and those are the little bullet points at 2pt font on the slideshow. Healthcare has become a factory industry where it is all about getting more patients in and out the door with less real provider-patient time.

Insurance drives tests and procedures rather than providers. This ends becoming a problem because now we are in more of a management versus cure system. One where Pharmaceutical Companies are making stupid amounts of money and dumping my tons at the feet of politicians to keep the system going this route to maximize heir profits.

I find it best not to give my reasons for the flu shot remark.

There's no doubt pharma wants its drugs used. Absolutely. People want their pain fixed too and we are not talking about pain removed from Tylenol. I don't believe the excuse of addiction.. I believe you control it.

If you give me a loaded gun and tell me to pull the trigger as the barrel rests against my temple, did I not make the final decision?

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member

There’s no arguing with that guy that’s going to help. He’s full of hate.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

There's no doubt pharma wants its drugs used. Absolutely. People want their pain fixed too and we are not talking about pain removed from Tylenol. I don't believe the excuse of addiction.. I believe you control it.

If you give me a loaded gun and tell me to pull the trigger as the barrel rests against my temple, did I not make the final decision?

Except you analogy is completely asinine because there is no chemical dependency created by putting a gun to your head as there is with medications for pain control.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Control and responsible monitoring. The substances causes physical addiction, not just psychological addiction which is where I think we need more ability to recognize. Those that are high risk for addiction need closer care. If you have a family history of abuse and addictions those Doc's need to be all over it.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Except you analogy is completely asinine because there is no chemical dependency created by putting a gun to your head as there is with medications for pain control.

Your brain is the most powerful part of your body. That's one thing I think you agree. In both cases you can say no though. There isn't a question of people getting dependent/addicted to things. Are you saying the drug is more powerful than choice?

DropSVT

Established Member
Yeah it's everywhere. My mom worked for a pain doctor and witnessed first hand how things like this happen. He would gladly refill your prescription of 500 pills if you "lost" it or if you ran out quicker than usual while testing negative for the opiod you are prescribed. They test most patients to make sure they are taking them and not selling them but there just seems to be doctors who don't care. She quit because at one point he was so lazy he was having her write the prescriptions for people she knew werent taking them and he would just sign a stack and she couldn't refuse them even knowing they were selling them because he was the doctor at the end of the day. He wasn't a corrupt guy just weak, but it happens everywhere especially here in the "ghetto". It's sad but the reps entice doctors to just keep writing them and you'll keep getting goodie bags and lunch every day.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The prescribed amount of painkillers from a doctor is enough to give a lot of people an addiction. I personally watched 2 people who do not have addictive mindsets battle with addiction after taking the prescribed amount of opiods, neither finished the bottle either. But what do you expect, you're feeding people opium.

This is actually one of the really nice things about legalized marijuana, in Colorado, our opiod addiction numbers have dropped since the bill passed.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The big thing that needs to happen is when the EMTs save someone from an overdose that person needs to be involuntarily committed to a state hospital for rehab.
Except the general consensus isn't to rehabilitate anyone in our country, but imprison instead. And we wonder why crime is so terrible.

Everything is a crime to Americans. We'd have thrown Jesus in jail for feeding the homeless (yes, some cities have laws that criminalize this).

They think that punishment over rehabilitation works, even though it's proven time and time again just the opposite is true.

Now, we throw kids in jail for the stupidest reasons. Brilliant college academic? Tough, you got popped with a joint, here's your misdemeanor record.

What's even funnier is the hypocrisy of the whole thing. These people will scream up and down how criminals need punishment until they get caught on the wrong end of the law (getting a traffic citation....a misdemeanor crime in many states...yep, a criminal act) and cry how they are the victim of the police, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread