Opiod crisis.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What is up with Ohio and this heroin problem?

The whole nation seems to have a need to escape reality.

Not sure if the media is reporting overdoes more to accentuate the negative but I have seen a lot more reports of adults passed out or dead with the little ones strapped to their car seats.

What could be done? My guess is modified pain relievers that do not intoxicate are coming.

Are you always this confused?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I was sitting in the lobby of UNC hospital last year and read an article in one of their publications that 80% of heroin users are introduced to opioids though legitimate prescriptions for pain meds.

One of my family members had to have a major surgery, then some very minor outpatient surgeries, and the docs prescribed oxy like they were M&Ms.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
It's not just Ohio

A few weeks ago I needed to transfer a PT to a much bigger hospital and there wasn't an ambulance available due to several ODs in the area...couldn't even get a rig from 50 miles away.

Ended up flying the PT...30 mile flight..took longer the warm up the helo than it did to fly to me and then back. 10mins one way

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I was sitting in the lobby of UNC hospital last year and read an article in one of their publications that 80% of heroin users are introduced to opioids though legitimate prescriptions for pain meds.

One of my family members had to have a major surgery, then some very minor outpatient surgeries, and the docs prescribed oxy like they were M&Ms.
Hey, like tobacco there is big money in addiction.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact the the medical profession was accused of not taking pain management seriously for so many years and it has now swung to the other extreme.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact the the medical profession was accused of not taking pain management seriously for so many years and it has now swung to the other extreme.
In FL they are going to a 3 day rule for prescribed opioids. This will be for new patients, not the current long term pain management patients.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
They let the opioid prescriptions get out of hand and then rapidly cut off, this is what they’re left with to feed the addiction. It’s awful in Florida along with plenty of other places

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
When my kids were teens not so long ago, I'd watch the county mug shots on a daily basis just to keep up with which of their friends was in the most trouble. The thing that was always shocking to me is that I'd occasionally see these beautiful 18-20 year old females, from nice street addresses, busted for heroin. I thought, "WTF??"

I can only assume that the combination of introduction to opioids through legitimate prescriptions (80%, posted above) and the quagmire of other nonsense going on with our current generation of teens was contributing to it.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
It's business. They proscribe this shit like candy to people, knowing full well that addiction is highly likely, then cut them off completely and they turn elsewhere to score drugs. In the long run they either come back to a health professional for some form of treatment and they get more money, or overdose and die.

The kids on the other hand are another problem. Lots of teens and 20 somethings steal their parents shit to get high, or score heroin on the street and use it. I really don't have sympathy for people who kill themselves just looking to get high. Call me cold, but people like that really don't deserve my respect or sympathy.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It seems the government responses are knee jerk and not well thought out or funded. War on addiction needs to be done right.

Another story here in FL. Shit rips at my heart seeing a toddler in stuck as two parents feed their habit while not feeding their kids.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

Yup...and then add press ganey scores...pt satisfaction is low sooooo...give em what they want **** that

**** press ganey

I have no issues being called a dick cuz I can tell you are full of shit, saying only dilaudid works for you. If dilaudid is the first word out of your mouth I'm already not impressed

And yes I know what track marks look like

But again it all come back to pt satisfaction.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The big thing that needs to happen is when the EMTs save someone from an overdose that person needs to be involuntarily committed to a state hospital for rehab.

I hate pushing narcan...push and step away cuz those ****er almost always come up swinging...sometimes they even run for the door...bye felicia

Stanger00

Established Member
From what I gather is that people get addicted thru prescription opioids and then once their doctor kicks them off those they start to buy synthetic laced heroine and this is where the deaths happen.

Medical professionals say it's an epidemic that requires us, non addicts, to have a paradigm shift in how to look at this opiod problem by allowing and voting for state run injection sites where people are stationed to monitor users. You know incase they overdose and need a life saving shot of medicine.

I don't and refuse to shift my thoughts on this problem. It has been created by doctors and they need to figure this out without using tax dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All the ****ing addicts make it impossible for people with actual pain issues to get meds. I had to suffer after my shoulder surgery.
I get a fair amount and it would suck to stop cold turkey. I have a series of yuk on da spine.

But if I do a vacation I have to plan on refills because asking for a 60 day script would be against the law and there is no presumption of innocence even though I have been treated for about 8 years with 2x c spine surgeries and hundreds of spinal injections at the lumbar level.

It does make me want to throat punch drug abusers.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Medicine is not so much about true patient care as it is patient turnover. The more patients you get in and out, the more money you bring in to the practice. The more patients you see, the less real time to cure or heal, the more you rely on pharmaceuticals.

Pharmaceutical Companies know this, Insurance Companies know this. Look at the pay of CEOs for Pharm and Health Insurance firms.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Medicine is not so much about true patient care as it is patient turnover. The more patients you get in and out, the more money you bring in to the practice. The more patients you see, the less real time to cure or heal, the more you rely on pharmaceuticals.

Pharmaceutical Companies know this, Insurance Companies know this. Look at the pay of CEOs for Pharm and Health Insurance firms.

My doc has made 100s of thousands off my back, shoulders, and elbow.

We have been reducing meds between events. I almost wonder if he really intends for me to be pain free or even comfortable in my pain.

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread