Nobody wants to buy the pre ‘13/14 GT500’s any longer??

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I went through the buying process earlier this year, looked at a ton of GT500's. IMO the real 'problem' for the older cars is that every year brings improvements (sometimes significant improvements) and buyers would rather spend a little extra to get the newer and 'better' car.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Very very true. 07-09s are a HELLUVA bang for the buck.

When you get some power in them they definitely feel like they come on harder than other GT500s with equal power. Something about them, when you get about 750hp in them they become animals. I'm guessing it is the gearing.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
11-12 GT500's were my fallback plan in case I hated the S550. In some cases the GT500 would have been more fun to have just for the unique factor (compared to a S550 GT) but at the same time, I wanted to enter the world of coyote ownership after owning modulars for a decade, and I wanted to try out the modern chassis.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
When you get some power in them they definitely feel like they come on harder than other GT500s with equal power. Something about them, when you get about 750hp in them they become animals. I'm guessing it is the gearing.

You nailed it. Trans gearing is more aggressive in early cars.

11-12 GT500's were my fallback plan in case I hated the S550. In some cases the GT500 would have been more fun to have just for the unique factor (compared to a S550 GT) but at the same time, I wanted to enter the world of coyote ownership after owning modulars for a decade, and I wanted to try out the modern chassis.

You made a good choice. 15+ coyote cars are RETARDED fast with a power adder. Very few GT500's will be able to compete if you add boost.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You made a good choice. 15+ coyote cars are RETARDED fast with a power adder. Very few GT500's will be able to compete if you add boost.

I'm still 50/50 on wanting to add a power adder, one thing I like about the Coyote's is they can rev so much higher than a 4.6 DOHC, so having a high revving N/A V8 sounds like a new path I haven't been down. I also like that these cars can run consistent 11's with a few simple bolt on's, which is what I plan on doing while still in the warranty period.

Maybe in a few years when its absolutely worthless I'll do a TVS.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The buyer wants it for nothing, the seller doesn't want to give it away, somehow they meet in the middle.
When I posted my 11 for sale, I was amazed @ what some owners were willing to let them go for.
Some of the listings could only be distressed / fire sale, based on pricing.
The last run of GT500's break down into ( 4 ) groups.
07 - 09
2010 ( new body, iron block )
2011/2012 ( 2 year run 5.4L )
2013/2014 ( 2 year run 5.8L )
Mfg. depend on a segment of the buying public that is willing to chase the new shiny object.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford needs to just hurry up and give us details on the next GT500. lets hope they go on sale in summer 2018.
The first one is making it's debut next month. We'll found out then.
Everyone "in the know" is saying it's going to be a monster. And the second one is going to be even more beastly with more sophisticated equipment.

jmsa540

Established Member
OP, I find it ironic you made this thread.

I've been looking at 07-09 GT500's and am debating if I should trade the Marauder in on it and cutting losses with the Mystic.

These cars can be had for cheap!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, I find it ironic you made this thread.

I've been looking at 07-09 GT500's and am debating if I should trade the Marauder in on it and cutting losses with the Mystic.

These cars can be had for cheap!

Do it.. you'll love it.

Check my build thread for a cheap way to make 600+whp on a budget.

AAG

Established Member
It's only going to get worse now that the '18 Mustang GTs with 10 speeds are running crazy numbers with just tune and tire swap. Lund Racing ran an 11.5 with just those two mods and 11.3 with the addition of e85.

VenomVeins

Established Member
A lot of GREAT reasons given for the depreciation of GT500's.

What it shows is that we ALL win with the new horsepower wars going on with Ford, GM, and Dodge.

Other than the 60's to early 70's, has there ever been SO MANY options offered to get into a high HP badass sled? Im guessing no.

Im actually shopping 2011/2012 Shelby's as we speak because of the low price point. For me, those rides hit the sweet spot and are super cost effective. The ZL1's interior is horribly claustrophobic for me (I'm 6'3") and the interior ergonomics made me want to get out immediately after sitting in it for a few minutes. The C6Z is a no go because I recently got rid of my C6 about 10 months ago, and the interior sucked on that too. Hellcat/Viper remain on my 'future' list, and earlier this year I spent a month in a fully loaded 2017 Mustang GT driving all around Maui and it just didn't do it for me. First week was pretty fun, next 3 weeks were spent thanking god i didn't buy one.

It's only going to get worse now that the '18 Mustang GTs with 10 speeds are running crazy numbers with just tune and tire swap. Lund Racing ran an 11.5 with just those two mods and 11.3 with the addition of e85.

Yeah, that will definitely drive the price down further. Those are epic numbers for such a small amount of mods. Slap a blower on and 10's are a breeze. :cool:

CV355

_
Established Member
There is a 2007 GT500 with 29k miles for $24k here locally.

They're just dated. Nothing wrong with them in my opinion. If my Volvo ever craps out, I wouldn't mind picking up an 07-09 GT500 as a DD. Pretty much in the same price range as a slightly used anything else.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Interesting info/opinions...
All depends on your goals and willingness to upgrade. NOBODY would choose an earlier model GT500 over a '13-14 if money wasn't a concern, as it's just a total package home run. I hear his take and understand money is always a factor, but the '13-14 cars just got it right.
Mines a lifer.
-J

BladeX10

Established Member
I didnt even realize how cheap these GT500s are until i randomly started browsing autotrader for them. You can find 07-09 GT500s for low $20ks with 50k miles and 2010-12 GT500s for upper $20ks. Absolutely crazy considering people are still asking and getting low 20k for 20k-50k mile Terminators.

Legit considering picking up a 10-12 in the spring time.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I sold my 7k mile '04 back in '07 for I think $28k, it's probably worth that today.
Still I think the GT500s will stabilize, we are pretty much near the bottom for well kept cars I'd hope.
I really only pay attention to '13-14 cars and I feel those will hold best much like the '03-04 Cobras as they are also the last of a breed---live axle, large deck 5.8 torque monster, True manual trans, Glass roof option.
If they keep the GT500 name for the S550 variant it'll be a different car with IRS, mag ride, DCT, smaller Coyote power. I'll buy one of those too, but there'll always be an S197 GT500 market.
-J

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
All depends on your goals and willingness to upgrade. NOBODY would choose an earlier model GT500 over a '13-14 if money wasn't a concern, as it's just a total package home run. I hear his take and understand money is always a factor, but the '13-14 cars just got it right.
Mines a lifer.
-J

BOOM! Headshot.

Users who are viewing this thread