Nobody wants to buy the pre ‘13/14 GT500’s any longer??

VenomVeins

Established Member
So a family member of mine has owned an ‘09 GT500 for the past year or so, and he’s looking to move it for a down payment on a house. He’s having a hell of a time selling it, and mentioned it at Thanksgiving....i tell him to list it here and DAMN....some really SMOKING deals on all years including 13/14 and some that havent moved in a year!!!

The biggest depreciation hitting the all 2007-2012’s of course. I was willing to pay up to 37k for a 2010-2012 a few years ago, but they can be had for damn near 30k!

Is it the styling? I think they still look killer but have heard some friends comment that they look dated and that the Terminator aged better.

Tough call, as the Terminator has aged well and they are very close in price now.

The GT500 forum is also a ghost town compared to the other forums.

It cant be the power....you’d be hard pressed to find anything close to the hp to dollar ratio. Is it the ride? I think they handle great and feel good for long drives.

So lets hear it from you guys....WTF is wrong with the GT500 that would have it depreciate so hard and hit Terminator level pricing??

08mojo

Established Member
The early s197s definitely look dated. The 10-12s look much better, and have aged well in my opinion, but they were just the same old song and dance carried into a new facelift (I know there were more changes, but you get the idea).

The Terminator was special because it paved the way for every performance car ever made. Haven't you seen the threads?

The 13-14's are special because of the trinity engine.

I think the market is being disrupted by the performance you can get out of other cars for the same price: C6Z or a boosted coyote powered mustang, just to give a couple of examples.

Blackoyote

Established Member
You hit the nail on the head as far as them not aging as well as the 03/04...I remember starting to see 50-60k mile 10-12 cars about a year ago for right at $30k, and 750whp 07-09s with mid miles for mid 20s.

I also think it's because they don't say COBRA in bold on the rear bumper that they aren't as desirable lol.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
07-09 look like bricks. Transmissions leave something to be desired.

Coyote came on the scene and really started running times big brother couldn't compete with.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I think the coyote market torched the GT500 market.

Consider the terminator:

SN95 New edge body style. It's counter parts are NA 300hp Cobra variants, and anemic 2v 4.6 GT's. You can't touch that kind of performance in a New Edge in any other form.

S197 Chassis. It's full of multiple body styles, multiple front ends, multiple engine/trans combos. You can get a 4.6 3v car for absolutely dirt cheap. The 2011-2012 5.0 car's have become very cheap too. And they aren't slouches right out of the box. So for the money, you can take a 2011 GT with some miles on it, do a little work to it, boost it, and make it a king slayer. All while staying under the GT500 price tag.

So yea, GT500's have gotten cheap because they aren't necessary upgrades. The 5.0 ruined the concrete role a Shelby could've had if they would've stuck with the 4.6 all the way until the S550.

nxhappy

Established Member
not just the older onces, the 13/14s are CHEAP compared to what they used to be. Glad I sold my 07, just in time before they tanked.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I think the coyote market torched the GT500 market.

Consider the terminator:

SN95 New edge body style. It's counter parts are NA 300hp Cobra variants, and anemic 2v 4.6 GT's. You can't touch that kind of performance in a New Edge in any other form.

S197 Chassis. It's full of multiple body styles, multiple front ends, multiple engine/trans combos. You can get a 4.6 3v car for absolutely dirt cheap. The 2011-2012 5.0 car's have become very cheap too. And they aren't slouches right out of the box. So for the money, you can take a 2011 GT with some miles on it, do a little work to it, boost it, and make it a king slayer. All while staying under the GT500 price tag.

So yea, GT500's have gotten cheap because they aren't necessary upgrades. The 5.0 ruined the concrete role a Shelby could've had if they would've stuck with the 4.6 all the way until the S550.
But at the end of the day, you'd still have just a GT with terrible resale.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem is they made so many GT500s, it helped they only made the terminators for 2 years and the terminators have such a following. A nicely modded GT500 will sell fast and for good money. I sold my 13 GT500 for 60k with 17k on it, but it was heavily modded. It also doesn't help a lot of Shelby owners do goofy shit to there cars that not many people find appealing. it also doesn't help that there's so many other choices for cars nowadays (Hellcats, C6Z, C7Z, ZL1s and vipers) not to mention the new 5.0s with a blower are pretty badass. IMO they just made to many GT500s and the following isn't as popular as it used to be.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Yea but if you can't sell your GT500, is that even resale? lol You've got to be able to sell it and not everyone has 30-40k just hanging out in the bank for a almost 10 year old car.
Wrong guy to ask. I'd never drop $30k on a 07-12 GT500 when I can have another C6Z for the same money.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They are old enough that guys are gonna really be careful before they shell out the ducats. The clean terminators bring the money, the mutts do not, same with the GT500 now.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
GT500s are slowly fading into obscurity. Lots of the buyers in the market have gone onto hellcats and Z06s, not to mention bolton coyotes running crazy times these days and they can be had for cheap.

this is especially true of iron block GT500s which had less than stellar performance when stock.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
There's just a lot of options out there. Good time to be a buyer in the performance world.

What the mileage and price tag on the car?

Users who are viewing this thread