My Race Red Track Pack 2016 GT350

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'm not surprised you found aspects of this car that were either incorrect or needed to be improved. You're one of those thorough types of fellas that the world needs more of. The gal looks great although I'd never have suspected you would have chosen red....

Boss 330

Established Member
I found a few different methods, each of which is more of a pain in the ass than it should be. The Brembo's are very well engineered. The anchoring system for the e-brake...not so much.

You have no idea. For wheel/brake/suspension/oil/exhaust work it gets the gold medal. I've slashed time and effort from most anything I do on the car now. Color me very happy with it.

Phosphate coated 4340 studs came this afternoon. I may be out of ARP hardened washers so give me some time and I'll get back to you (or try me back if you don't hear from me).

Here's the 4340 next to the 17-4 PH

z0822161516_HDR_resized.jpg

Back at you. I'm ecstatic about the jacking rails I got from you. Every time I lift the car it goes up on the rails and no contact is made with the pinch weld. I'll have to get a shot of it up on stands sooner or later and send it your way. If I purchase another S550 car it would be the first mod just as it was on this car. Thanks again Kelly.

Are these Stainless studs available for purchase? If so I would like a set.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I finally had the opportunity to take care of a few things with the car as well as pulling photos from my camera. One thing I wanted to share was how happy I was to use Motive's power brake bleeder. I've bled brakes a number of different ways over the years but had yet to use a pressurized system at home. Quite simply, it rocks. Clean and relatively quick and I took the time to clean everything with denatured alcohol once I was done.

z0824161348_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0824161501_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0824161400_HDR-Edit.jpg

Now back to the axle issue I had. Again, it was the outer boot on the driver side axle, which has been an issue with a number of GT350's. I noticed CV joint grease all over the inside barrel of the wheel and where inertia laid it onto the suspension. This was after cleaning and driving the car for a short bit.

z0823161401_HDR_resized.jpg

Armed with the knowledge of the source as well as documentation I had from others that had the same problem, I approached the service department at my local dealer. They just changed hands so I wasn't exactly comfortable leaving the car for warranty work with people I didn't know. They inspected the car a couple of weeks ago and told me that the axle was on back order and that they'd contact me when it arrived. This was to replace the entire driver side axle assembly and not simply a boot repair. Driving the car with a reduced amount of grease in it can damage the joint itself and dealers don't typically dissect joints themselves, hence total replacement. The problem may be the result of a clamp issue (or boot, difficult to determine without studying a number of similar failures) but nobody at Ford could pin it down at this point. Anyway, I got to know the service writer and met the mechanic that would be doing the work on the car and was put at ease. Both had quite a bit of experience and recognized the uniqueness of the car.

So this past Friday I dropped the car off. It was hard watching my sometimes orange, Race Red car disappear into the dealer abyss.

z0909160759_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0909160800a_HDR-Edit.jpg

I tried reading to pass the time but found I preferred staring at a blank wall while focusing on the banging, grinding, and air tooling going on nearby. I was then approached by the mechanic working on the car. He asked if I'd like to go out back and take a look at everything. He had the axle out and wanted to show me what he went through to get there. I think he appreciated that I was already familiar with each and every component as well as the procedure.

z0909160918_HDR-Edit.jpg

The new axle (old one looks the same)...

z0909160919a_HDR-Edit.jpg

The biggest pain in the ass is removing the emergency brake cable. The mechanic smiled when I told him my thoughts on it and showed me the tool he uses which makes it an easy task. Note the wear on the tool.

z0909160941_HDR-Edit.jpg

Once done he took it for a short test drive. I tipped him and the service writer as both took care of me and this otherwise cost me nothing. I do all my own work but when a warranty issue arises I know exactly who I want handling the car. I just hope this doesn't happen again. :)

_GT350%20CV%20boot%20repair%20cleaned%20up.jpg

I got the vehicle home and couldn't wait to get the R specs back on. So once again I pulled the factory wheels. I was only going to reclean the grease covered wheel but that evolved into cleaning all four wheels which somehow morphed into cleaning the R specs as well. Having done each back to back I can honestly say that the R style are far easier to clean than the regular GT350 wheels.

z0909161853_HDR-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2800-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2805-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2802-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2801-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2813-Edit.jpg

Prior to putting the wheels back on I gave everything a thorough inspection. The FTBR sway bar links (writeup coming soon - I promise!), brake hardware, various cooler system lines, etc. Everything looks great.

zIMG_2819-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2852-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2833-Edit.jpg

I am loving the lift and the time it saves.

zIMG_2858-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2884-Edit.jpg

I found a smaller diameter socket that provides plenty of clearance when accessing the lug nuts. I plan on picking up a couple more. I torqued each nut to the low side of spec (~140 ft-lbs).

zIMG_2911-Edit.jpg

This really is a great car. I learned quite a bit at the Track Attack about my own abilities as well as how far you can push this thing. The mod list has grown but for the moment I'm going to simply drive and enjoy it.

zIMG_2928-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2939-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2924-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

AMPowerJ

Perfect timing ... I too have the Motive bleeder but I wasn't sure which adapter I needed for the GT350. Their site says the three tab cap but it looks like we have just a regular threaded cap. Can you tell me which adapter you are using? Thanks!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn, every time I open this thread, it really doesn't help from me wanted a GT350R.. Ugh.. One needs to magically appear in my garage.. Beautiful car and write ups!

Boss 330

Established Member
I'll track the two of you down when the next order arrives. I've got 4x the number I originally had coming in both stainless and 4340.

I finally had the opportunity to take care of a few things with the car as well as pulling photos from my camera. One thing I wanted to share was how happy I was to use Motive's power brake bleeder. I've bled brakes a number of different ways over the years but had yet to use a pressurized system at home. Quite simply, it rocks. Clean and relatively quick and I took the time to clean everything with denatured alcohol once I was done.

z0824161348_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0824161501_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0824161400_HDR-Edit.jpg

Now back to the axle issue I had. Again, it was the outer boot on the driver side axle, which has been an issue with a number of GT350's. I noticed CV joint grease all over the inside barrel of the wheel and where inertia laid it onto the suspension. This was after cleaning and driving the car for a short bit.

z0823161401_HDR_resized.jpg

Armed with the knowledge of the source as well as documentation I had from others that had the same problem, I approached the service department at my local dealer. They just changed hands so I wasn't exactly comfortable leaving the car for warranty work with people I didn't know. They inspected the car a couple of weeks ago and told me that the axle was on back order and that they'd contact me when it arrived. This was to replace the entire driver side axle assembly and not simply a boot repair. Driving the car with a reduced amount of grease in it can damage the joint itself and dealers don't typically dissect joints themselves, hence total replacement. The problem may be the result of a clamp issue (or boot, difficult to determine without studying a number of similar failures) but nobody at Ford could pin it down at this point. Anyway, I got to know the service writer and met the mechanic that would be doing the work on the car and was put at ease. Both had quite a bit of experience and recognized the uniqueness of the car.

So this past Friday I dropped the car off. It was hard watching my sometimes orange, Race Red car disappear into the dealer abyss.

z0909160759_HDR-Edit.jpg

z0909160800a_HDR-Edit.jpg

I tried reading to pass the time but found I preferred staring at a blank wall while focusing on the banging, grinding, and air tooling going on nearby. I was then approached by the mechanic working on the car. He asked if I'd like to go out back and take a look at everything. He had the axle out and wanted to show me what he went through to get there. I think he appreciated that I was already familiar with each and every component as well as the procedure.

z0909160918_HDR-Edit.jpg

The new axle (old one looks the same)...

z0909160919a_HDR-Edit.jpg

The biggest pain in the ass is removing the emergency brake cable. The mechanic smiled when I told him my thoughts on it and showed me the tool he uses which makes it an easy task. Note the wear on the tool.

z0909160941_HDR-Edit.jpg

Once done he took it for a short test drive. I tipped him and the service writer as both took care of me and this otherwise cost me nothing. I do all my own work but when a warranty issue arises I know exactly who I want handling the car. I just hope this doesn't happen again. :)

_GT350%20CV%20boot%20repair%20cleaned%20up.jpg

I got the vehicle home and couldn't wait to get the R specs back on. So once again I pulled the factory wheels. I was only going to reclean the grease covered wheel but that evolved into cleaning all four wheels which somehow morphed into cleaning the R specs as well. Having done each back to back I can honestly say that the R style are far easier to clean than the regular GT350 wheels.

z0909161853_HDR-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2800-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2805-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2802-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2801-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2813-Edit.jpg

Prior to putting the wheels back on I gave everything a thorough inspection. The FTBR sway bar links (writeup coming soon - I promise!), brake hardware, various cooler system lines, etc. Everything looks great.

zIMG_2819-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2852-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2833-Edit.jpg

I am loving the lift and the time it saves.

zIMG_2858-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2884-Edit.jpg

I found a smaller diameter socket that provides plenty of clearance when accessing the lug nuts. I plan on picking up a couple more. I torqued each nut to the low side of spec (~140 ft-lbs).

zIMG_2911-Edit.jpg

This really is a great car. I learned quite a bit at the Track Attack about my own abilities as well as how far you can push this thing. The mod list has grown but for the moment I'm going to simply drive and enjoy it.

zIMG_2928-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2939-Edit.jpg

zIMG_2924-Edit.jpg

I have the same wheel/ tire set on the way. Have you checked how much speedo error due to the 30 series tires?

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
This thread delivers in so many ways. My Rspecs should be shipping this week and I should have the R back from the detailer. Gonna set my CF wheels/PSC2s aside for track time

I would be interested in a set of caliper studs myself.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I try to capture as much as I can into a photograph so that you can see as much relevant detail as possible along with a little artsy crap too. The write up portion is easy if the photos paint a clear picture. Thankfully the GT350 is very photogenic.:rockon:

The 17-4 PH studs I ordered are being shipped to me tomorrow and the 4340 are out getting heat treated/Phosphated and should ship in the middle of next week. I'll let you guys know when they are in.

Boss 330

Established Member
I try to capture as much as I can into a photograph so that you can see as much relevant detail as possible along with a little artsy crap too. The write up portion is easy if the photos paint a clear picture. Thankfully the GT350 is very photogenic.:rockon:

The 17-4 PH studs I ordered are being shipped to me tomorrow and the 4340 are out getting heat treated/Phosphated and should ship in the middle of next week. I'll let you guys know when they are in.

Great news!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The wife just received an order of 17-4 PH stainless studs today. The 4340 MP studs are on the way too.

I'll PM those that expressed interest. If anybody else is interested just let me know or if you have any questions about them.

MSI%20studs%20September%2019%202016%20with%20a%20box%20of%2084ss.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
The wife just received an order of 17-4 PH stainless studs today. The 4340 MP studs are on the way too.

I'll PM those that expressed interest. If anybody else is interested just let me know or if you have any questions about them.

MSI%20studs%20September%2019%202016%20with%20a%20box%20of%2084ss.jpg

You just made my day with these studs brother. You truly are in this to help the mustang community. Looks like I am going to need to order that same lug nut socket you have.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Been a little while so I figured I'd update.

Being Brrrr season I've been avoiding spending time working on the car and have instead been researching and collecting a few parts. I discussed it elsewhere but will mention here that I'm swapping my standard GT350 front splitter for the R version. It is silly expensive in comparison (more than triple the price) but has come down recently from the stratospheric prices Ford was originally asking.

0129172049_HDR-Edit.jpg

GT350R%20splitter%20price%20from%20Autonation.jpg

Having tracked a GT350 a few times now I'd like to take advantage of the better aero/downforce that the R pieces offer. My intent isn't to make millions selling a faux R down the road. I'm also looking for the R rear wing to balance the equation. If I can snag a factory unit without having to sell a kidney that'd be great. If not I have my sights set on the C2C R wing as it looks to be the closest to factory out there.

I just received the M-9601 FRP GT350 air filter from my favorite vendor Mike at Buyfordracing. From order to delivery to my doorstep was 24hrs! FRP doesn't rebadge the filter as in years past. This one come from Airaid and does not get oiled. If it offered anything in terms of power that'd be nice but the reason for upgrading was because the car is due a change and I think the new filter has a very sharp appearance. It is indeed very well made.

0209171551_HDR2_resized.jpg

0209171551a_HDR2_resized.jpg

0209171552_HDR2_resized.jpg

0209171554_HDR_resized.jpg

I also ordered from Mike the FRP Borla exhaust system.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5200-MSS

I didn't pay retail but the system is rather expensive nonetheless. I've gone back and forth between simply removing the resonators (I have the 2-3/4" tube and Tig/Mig in the shop), different X pipes, etc, including Borla's own ATAK system for the GT350. I finally decided I'd like to keep the factory system in tact and that I didn't want an extremely loud system regardless of mode, hence the exclusion of the ATAK system from the list. The FRP system should add power at the top. Of course some bottom end torque would be nice but I don't see it with an exhaust change in this case. Here's a chart from Borla (test car was run on 91 octane which may have nixed some power as well).

_borla_gt350_hp-torque_dyno.png

I'm working on a couple other projects too that I hope to report on as they are completed. Can't wait for summer!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad to hear you continue to enjoy your GT-350, Tob. That AirRaid filter does look to be really well made. The filter itself has no dents or pinches. Perfect! Let us know how you like the upcoming exhaust change.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
A+ work. Glad to see the build progress back up on the interwebz. I feel like my car looks up to yours.

Users who are viewing this thread