MGW.....Install.......Tomorrow......

LSwat

Established Member
any idea on price and availability assuming the "test" group likes everything? i'm itching to buy a shifter after seeing the barton one a few weeks ago. how long till everyone else can get a MGW??

This :banana:

Cuco5.0

Established Member
George said if i remember correctly 60 days after the first batch is out they will start releasing to everyone else. I'm suppose to receive mine today. Will keep you guys posted. Plan on doing an install thread!

jj6077

Established Member
George said if i remember correctly 60 days after the first batch is out they will start releasing to everyone else. I'm suppose to receive mine today. Will keep you guys posted. Plan on doing an install thread!

Got my tracking email today ! :thumbsup: will be looking forward to your thread!

Entrenched

Established Member
It's in...shifts great, all the vagueness of the stock shifter is gone. MGW did a great job of limiting noise transfer and it may be even quieter than stock. My favorite part of the shifter is the centering spring. Install took me a couple of hours on jack stands.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
It's in...shifts great, all the vagueness of the stock shifter is gone. MGW did a great job of limiting noise transfer and it may be even quieter than stock. My favorite part of the shifter is the centering spring. Install took me a couple of hours on jack stands.

I'm getting a bit of noise transfer even with the dynamat in place. Definitely more than stock. However, i don't mind the slight increase in noise for the positive shift feel. Maybe i just have to put a few more miles on her..we'll see.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm getting a bit of noise transfer even with the dynamat in place. Definitely more than stock. However, i don't mind the slight increase in noise for the positive shift feel. Maybe i just have to put a few more miles on her..we'll see.

we have had mixed success in the half dozen cars so far. i actually was fully expecting a bit MORE noise than stock as with any performance shifter that firms up so much more than the oem but we were pleasantly surprised that most were as quiet or quieter ...

BUT....i have not and will not advertise this shifter as being that. if it is as quiet or quieter in some cars that is an added plus but i do not expect it to be across the board.

george

ViciousJay

Established Member
curious for everyone but im receiving mine today and i know the 4th bolt on the shifter itself is a bitch to get out but has anyone thought dremeling a little off the corner in order to gain access to the bolt a bit easier?

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
curious for everyone but im receiving mine today and i know the 4th bolt on the shifter itself is a bitch to get out but has anyone thought dremeling a little off the corner in order to gain access to the bolt a bit easier?

the bolt is not a bitch at all once you lower the rear support. i would not dremel the body at all because it could cause sealing issues with the boot. its actually a non issue.

george

Cuco5.0

Established Member
the bolt is not a bitch at all once you lower the rear support. i would not dremel the body at all because it could cause sealing issues with the boot. its actually a non issue.

george

Agreed. At the time of un-install of the stock shifter, loosen the three other respective bolts...go under the car and remove the bracket...then this will allow you access to the last bolt. When installing...do not put the bracket first...like it says in the video...its a good time to have a buddy help at this time.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Agreed. At the time of un-install of the stock shifter, loosen the three other respective bolts...go under the car and remove the bracket...then this will allow you access to the last bolt. When installing...do not put the bracket first...like it says in the video...its a good time to have a buddy help at this time.

Yep. The best suggestion I have is to watch the vid all the way through at least once before starting the install. It's really not difficult if you know the little tricks.

Entrenched

Established Member
When I installed mine, I left my x-pipe in place and it wasn't t0o bad. From under the car I bolted everything in place including the rear shifter support. The 4th corner bolt went right in with the provided allen bolts. In my case it was easier to have me son hold the shifter up from inside the car while I worked underneath.

As a side note, I have a CHE D/S loop and it had to be removed to get the new rear mount in. Also in my car, the stock shifter base had to come out through the trans tunnel into the interior of the car. I could not get it around the drive shaft.

MI GT

Established Member
This is my first post here and it is to comment on the MGW shifter
that I just installed and put about 60 miles on.
Absolutly great, good balance fore and aft and left and right.
Centering spring is perfect, throw length is also perfect, 3" ctc.
Now I have used the Barton w/ support brkt and this is a good
shifter but it just does not compare, MGW is much better, ( my opinion)
Install is very easy, since I have had mine apart a couple of times I knew
what to look for and what tools to have ready,watch the video great help
for a first timer.
I do have a little more noise, mainly I can hear the gear whine a little more
but the good far out weights that minor detail.
George you have nailed it, Thank you.

Since the above report I have put 200+ more miles on and it just keeps
getting better.
Shift effort is only slightly more than OEM and I mean only slightly,
and quite a bit less than the Barton.
Got to an area that I can safely get on it and ran through the gears
a couple of time, simply amazing, very percise, did'nt know it could
get this good.

Jim

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for all the weel wishes everyone. I'm back home now and back on the job. I'll have a new (smaller) article posted by the end of the week.:beer:

jj6077

Established Member
Installed the MGW shifter today and I am quite happy with the product. When I tested it out today, I ended up speeding every acceleration because I no longer fumbled between shifts. It is smooth shifting from 1 to 6. Reverse feels solid, and the lock out works really well too.

The only problem I had was the installation of the rubber boot. I almost lost my fingers getting that thing on the shifter. I also do not like how it sticks out after putting everything together. I have the habit of "wiggling" my shifter when in neutral so the spring feels a little too strong to me, but I'm going to see how it is after it is broken in.

All in all, this shifter is amazing. I am probably going to stay off the forums for a while and burn a lot of money on gas :D

BigDan

Established Member
i will see about making some taller handles but i REALLY think you need to try this thing before making ANY suggestions. like i stated in the s197 forum, i really went all out trying all sorts of combos for height and springs and even TRavis ( SID) said the taller handle did not feel nearly as good as the height we settled on.

but again ill take any input and offer options .

but guys these are NOT beta units!!! i have been testing this thing for over 8 months and it is a fully production ready unit. the only reason i am holding off on any new runs is that just like this topic...if EVERYBODY or at least over 40 percent say hey " make the handle 1/2 or 3/4 inch or whatever taller shorter fatter skinnier " then ill offer it. otherwise the units go into the next production batch.

george

and jay you still have not called me to tell me WHO you are ...i dont knopw your full name so i cant tell you or even respond to options . yours may have shipped yesterday or today but let me know by pm or something and ill make sure!!

Is the shifter ball at the same height as the ball in my MGW equipped 2011 GT500?

Hopefully because I cant stand how low some of the other companies place their ball's.

Users who are viewing this thread