MGW.....Install.......Tomorrow......

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
hey guys,

here is the MGW classic shift ball kit for the 2011-2012 shifter . i just got the knobs in and they look great. i have been running this ball for a few months and it really feels better than both the alum. ball on the upgrades since it doesn't get so damned hot and cold and the "thumb" shaped base knob.

The knobs only come in black with white graphics , i just do not want to have a whole slew of inventory to keep up with. They look great in basically ANY color car too!!

The balls only come in coarse pitch like our rally series so you will have to get the coarse pitch handle with it but when buyers purchase the shifter they can opt for that handle exclusively and save the 15 dollars. Also , if anybody wants to mails theirs back we can swap but you would only really save about 10 bucks after shipping it back to us and i frankly would like to have both handles for more options.

The kit consists of a CNC machined stainless jam nut with integral shaft , lock washer, coarse pitch handle and MGW logo shift knob with gear pattern on top.

Total price is 60.00 for everything plus shipping. the kit will be 45.00 when purchased with the shifter.

regards
george

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
here is another really cool optional accessory we will have for our shifter!!!!

this is a high temp heat / sound shield designed for the boss 302 mustang and racing applications where VERY high track and engine temps as well as stright pip[e exhaust systems can put a tremendous amount of heat in the shifter box area.

this is a punch formed stainless shroud that extends for and aft of the shift box and seals the left and right side. the backing is 1/4 inch thick pyrogel pad that is a ceramic based heat barrier . it works awesome and is water proof.

i will not be including this in the base price of the shifter because frankly it is not NEEDED but damned if it wont make the shifter even quieter and cooler and i think the price will come in well under 10 bucks!!!:beer:

i hope to have them ready in about 2-3 weeks about when the next batch comes out of shifters.

Last edited:

AKAJoe

Established Member

this is a high temp heat / sound shield designed for the boss 302 mustang and racing applications where VERY high track and engine temps as well as stright pip[e exhaust systems can put a tremendous amount of heat in the shifter box area.

this is a punch formed stainless shroud that extends for and aft of the shift box and seals the left and right side. the backing is 1/4 inch thick pyrogel pad that is a ceramic based heat barrier . it works awesome and is water proof.

i will not be including this in the base price of the shifter because frankly it is not NEEDED but damned if it wont make the shifter even quieter and cooler and i think the price will come in well under 10 bucks!!!:beer:

i hope to have them ready in about 2-3 weeks about when the next batch comes out of shifters.

That is the BOMB. Awesome product you have. Sign me up.

LittleBean

Established Member
7530d1314805883-mgw-install-tomorrow-mgw2011shiftball.jpg

George, does this shifter ball and jam nut/boot adapter fit both 400 and 401 interior shift boots?

kind of looks like it's only for the 401 shift boot, correct?

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
7530d1314805883-mgw-install-tomorrow-mgw2011shiftball.jpg

George, does this shifter ball and jam nut/boot adapter fit both 400 and 401 interior shift boots?

kind of looks like it's only for the 401 shift boot, correct?

it fits both....we include a boot adapter for the base interiors that fills that big cup void in the boot.

george

hand-filer

Established Member
I'm definately in for one. Let us know when the revised shifter boots come in.
I will order a shield at that time.

hand-filer

Established Member
I received my shifter last week. I have the car elevated right now to replace the fluid with Redline MTL and to disconect the skip shift.
My question is should I wait for the revised boot or go for it and install the shifter now?
Thanks.

zilla8

Established Member
Installed my MGW shifter yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! It shifts like magic and everything about it speaks of quality and great engineering.

I'm one of the few people that actually had no problems with the stock shifter or transmission (knock on wood) but this shifter is so solid and the shifts so positive.

You just forget about shifting because it's that good and you can concentrate on driving.
the 2-3 shift reminds me of my old Pro 5.0 shifter because you just can't miss 3rd

the throws are perfect and I put it to the test doing several runs shifting at 7K and all I could do was smile and say what a great shifter :)

The install was a snap following the instructions and video here on SVT performance.
I have both the black and white shift knobs with MGW logo on top.I used the white knob

to match my white 5.0 and I used the corse pitch shaft but also have the fine pitch for the stock knob.I can only compare this shifter to the stock one but if you are still deciding on a shifter this is the one to get.

I was about to install the Steeda bracket only and see how I liked it but now I will sell it.
Thanks MGW for making a killer shifter for the 2011/2012 Mustang 5.0

I will get a few pictures later today and post them here.
IM000454.jpg

IM000453.jpg

IM000452.jpg

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
Just got done installing my shifter. It was relatively straight forward installation with just a couple of hicups along the way.

The first issue that I had was the with the 5/16-18 bolt that is used to secure the shifter to the bracket.
The hole was off just enough that I wasn't able to thread the bolt in straight. 5/16 taper tap to the rescue. Tight fit but I was able to run the tap through to clean things up and get the bolt installed.

The second issue was getting the shifter boot on. Once I had the boot seated around the body of the shifter it was a struggle to get the perimeter of the boot seated.
There was very little clearance at the back of the shifter and on the passenger side on my car.
I crawled back under the car to inspect the boot from underneath. The boot did not seat correctly; the flange was bunched up on the passenger side.
What ended up working for me was to remove the rear mounting bracket, drop the shifter down and then work the perimeter of the boot back into position from above.
I crawled back under the car, confimed that the boot was in place and finished up by reinstalling the bracket. I think it is most important to make sure the boot is properly seated to prevent noise from getting past the boot.

After that the rest of the install went without a hitch. I had no issues with the boot being to tall and interfering with the underside of the console. It fits very well on my car.
All in all this is a very well engineered package with excelent step by step instructions.

I will follow up with my final thoughts tomorrow after I come back from the road test.

Last edited:

Mattz

Established Member
Okay, I'm a little slower, but there are three different heights you can set the shifter at, right? And you can use the factory shift handle for the shifter?

hand-filer

Established Member

Mattz

Established Member
Thanks for the reply... maybe I am confusing my shifters. Do you guys find the shifter is any shorter than the stock?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
George, got the Boss back from CA on Thursday and installed the shifter yesterday. It's a HUGE improvement over stock! Very, very nice job. :beer:
Can't wait to hit the track with it. Just waiting for the temps to get out of the 100's here.

hand-filer

Established Member
This shifter and a switch to Redline MTL are the 2 best mods I have done to the car.
I went out for a drive this morning and just got back. Smooth and precise best describes the way it shifts now. Power shifting from 2nd to 3rd effortless.
So glad I found a buyer for my Barton before this one hits the market.
MGW has come up with another winner.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
Thanks for the reply... maybe I am confusing my shifters. Do you guys find the shifter is any shorter than the stock?

The MGW is shorter, which makes the throw easy to handle. Loving mine! George did an amazing job, as always!

This shifter and a switch to Redline MTL are the 2 best mods I have done to the car.
I went out for a drive this morning and just got back. Smooth and precise best describes the way it shifts now. Power shifting from 2nd to 3rd effortless.
So glad I found a buyer for my Barton before this one hits the market.
MGW has come up with another winner.

Agreed!
Its crazy how much of a difference a shifter can make in the 5.0! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread