MGW.....Install.......Tomorrow......

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Installed the MGW shifter today and I am quite happy with the product. When I tested it out today, I ended up speeding every acceleration because I no longer fumbled between shifts. It is smooth shifting from 1 to 6. Reverse feels solid, and the lock out works really well too.

The only problem I had was the installation of the rubber boot. I almost lost my fingers getting that thing on the shifter. I also do not like how it sticks out after putting everything together. I have the habit of "wiggling" my shifter when in neutral so the spring feels a little too strong to me, but I'm going to see how it is after it is broken in.

All in all, this shifter is amazing. I am probably going to stay off the forums for a while and burn a lot of money on gas :D

not sure what you mean by how it sticks out after putting everything together? can you expand on this??

and the springs WILL lose a little of there force by about 10 percent after several hundred miles when they SET . so we make them a bit beefy to start with. trust me you will learn to LOVE!!! this feature.

and we will be offering a longer shaft as an option for those that want it.

george

bcolenj

Established Member
I got mine installed yesterday. I will reply with my positive thoughts after some more driving time but I can elaborate on the 'sticks out' issue someone else had.

The top of the rubber boot contacts the bottom of the center console and can be felt pushing up the leather shift boot. if the motion of shifting moves the rubber boot to the point where it drags on the top of the center console the it could be a performance issue, if not, then this is purely an aesthetic one (pushing up the leather).

ViciousJay

Established Member
So far the shifter has its + and - in my opinion. Ill start by saying that it is a quality looking piece and the install wasn't all the bad (had an issue aligning the odd ball bolt from the bracket to the shifter). I'll start by saying that the break in process is starting to shine but its still a bit notchy for me and still TOO LOW of a shifter handle which i knew it was goning to be. Another negative is the boot, for some reason it sits too high and i like the stock look more. Overall its a good piece and if you plan on racing the car often i would buy it but otherwise for people who are DD I'm not sure it's NEED like most will say it is. I've been debating going back to to stock and selling it off

I will say one last thing and this is to FORD, and even to guyd who are having trouble shifting. On the bracket below there are 3 bolts... MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT because i found all 3 were 2 thread loose and that was from the factory

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
So far the shifter has its + and - in my opinion. Ill start by saying that it is a quality looking piece and the install wasn't all the bad (had an issue aligning the odd ball bolt from the bracket to the shifter). I'll start by saying that the break in process is starting to shine but its still a bit notchy for me and still TOO LOW of a shifter handle which i knew it was goning to be. Another negative is the boot, for some reason it sits too high and i like the stock look more. Overall its a good piece and if you plan on racing the car often i would buy it but otherwise for people who are DD I'm not sure it's NEED like most will say it is. I've been debating going back to to stock and selling it off

I will say one last thing and this is to FORD, and even to guyd who are having trouble shifting. On the bracket below there are 3 bolts... MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT because i found all 3 were 2 thread loose and that was from the factory

Im gonna get the Barton and the Barton bracket. Thanks for your non biased opinion.

ViciousJay

Established Member
If the shifter is too short, isn't there three different height settings?

not really, maybe a hair or two but i needs to be taller, George said that he made an extra handle but im still deciding on keeping it, also wanted to add that reverse seems like bitch to get into also my clutch stunk for a day after installing not sure why but it seems to be fine now

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
Someone post a picture of the installed product so that the rest of us can see what the boot looks like. Complaints of the boot sticking up too far are meaningless without pictures.
Thanks

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

I will say one last thing and this is to FORD, and even to guys who are having trouble shifting. On the bracket below there are 3 bolts... MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT because i found all 3 were 2 thread loose and that was from the factory

FINALLY!!! some meat and constructive criticism!!! thats what i wanted from you guys and believe me you do NOT want to get rid of the shifter!!!!

1. i have taken the feedback from you and others and already have the rubber molding company modifying the rubber boot design to lower it and make the top flap a bit larger to seal the shifter even better!!!

YOU GUYS WILL BE GETTING THE NEW BOOT DESIGN FREE!!!!

2. i hear you on the knob height and i really think that most still prefer the height setup i have now. but give me an idea how tall you wanna be and i can make some taller handles as an option.

3. keep giving it a bit more time when you have 500 miles on this shifter both the left to right AND the reverse spring will get looser.

also VERY IMPORTANT!!!! READ>>>>>

how to operate the MGW reverse feature. our reverse design is not like the stock and others. it is NOT designed to push straight down and then over. it is designed to push down AND left at the same time because we have a hardened reverse pin on the stalk,. when it catches it actually is forced down when you pull to the left so it works WITH you to lower the center shaft.

george

hand-filer

Established Member
Thanks George,

This product pre-release testing seperates you from the rest.
In 30 years of manufacturing I have come to realize that in house testing will get you most of the way there and field testing will take you the rest of the way.
h-f

ViciousJay

Established Member
FINALLY!!! some meat and constructive criticism!!! thats what i wanted from you guys and believe me you do NOT want to get rid of the shifter!!!!

1. i have taken the feedback from you and others and already have the rubber molding company modifying the rubber boot design to lower it and make the top flap a bit larger to seal the shifter even better!!!

YOU GUYS WILL BE GETTING THE NEW BOOT DESIGN FREE!!!!

2. i hear you on the knob height and i really think that most still prefer the height setup i have now. but give me an idea how tall you wanna be and i can make some taller handles as an option.

3. keep giving it a bit more time when you have 500 miles on this shifter both the left to right AND the reverse spring will get looser.

also VERY IMPORTANT!!!! READ>>>>>

how to operate the MGW reverse feature. our reverse design is not like the stock and others. it is NOT designed to push straight down and then over. it is designed to push down AND left at the same time because we have a hardened reverse pin on the stalk,. when it catches it actually is forced down when you pull to the left so it works WITH you to lower the center shaft.

george

For the shift handle i wouldn't mind if its 1/2-1" taller. as for the reverse design ill try it the second i bust out of work today. Other then that its a good shifter. Ive played with t he barton and wasn't impressed, i heard good things about hurst but i cant put a GM product in my car hehe. Most likely i wont part with Geroge's shifter and ill continue to row the gears and if in a month it still feels notchy then I will remove one of the spring caps in the shifter like stated. as for the handle maybe ill shim it up a bit and see if that works better for me

MI GT

Established Member
As George stated the springs soften a bit with time.
I have 1500 miles on mine now and is noticably softer,
I think it is just right.
No problems with reverse, better than OEM and the
Barton that is in box on the bench.
I have noticed how the dust boot contacts the console
on the left side, does not seem to impede function,
does lift the shift boot slightly.
Length is good for me but I would like to try about
1" longer, just for hand placement more than anything.
As I said I have a Barton with about 8000 miles
and these are night and day, (just my 2 cents).

Jim

AKAJoe

Established Member
MGW Shifter

I got my MGW shifter installed last night. High quality fit and finish. PITA to install by yourself but I managed. I did a couple 3 mile runs on a course I have laid out around the local interstates and was very impressed. I ran it with the boot/console removed and there is lots of noise that comes from the drive train. Can anyone else who has run without the boot/console comment on the drive train noise? I never ran the stock shifter without to compare. Also, should you take it easy for a while and allow the shifter to break in?
Thanks.

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
i heard good things about hurst but i cant put a GM product in my car hehe.

Where did you get the idea that Hurst is a GM product?
Hurst was making shifters years before Olds decided to build a Hurst Olds. back in the 60's.

I had a Hurst Comp Plus shifter in my 427 64 Galaxie. back in 65.

hand-filer

Established Member
Hurst was making shifters years before Olds decided to build a Hurst Olds. back in the 60's.

I had one too in my 70 C-10. I had to rebuild it twice a year to keep it from playing "Jingle Bells" when the truck was at idle.:beer:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I got my MGW shifter installed last night. High quality fit and finish. PITA to install by yourself but I managed. I did a couple 3 mile runs on a course I have laid out around the local interstates and was very impressed. I ran it with the boot/console removed and there is lots of noise that comes from the drive train. Can anyone else who has run without the boot/console comment on the drive train noise? I never ran the stock shifter without to compare. Also, should you take it easy for a while and allow the shifter to break in?
Thanks.

you will get a TON of noise and heat without the boot and console in place. i tracked my boss this weekend to torture test the shifter and it is insane how much heat and noise comes in with the console off.

no need to break in the shifter. it is ready !!!!!

george

ViciousJay

Established Member

jesus ****ng christ GTFO, it was a joke... seriously leave

Users who are viewing this thread