Lean Protection Module!

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Sounds like an excellent device...anyone had one of these actually activate and save the engine?

Thanks!

I have it installed and tested it to a "lean condition" I set it to activate under my wot A/F which was 11.5 and everything worked good. It was a little scary not really knowing what to expect and having the ignition cut out but it came back on just like the video and all was good.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds like an excellent device...anyone had one of these actually activate and save the engine?

Thanks!

Yes sir. I probably don't count though :)

I have it installed and tested it to a "lean condition" I set it to activate under my wot A/F which was 11.5 and everything worked good. It was a little scary not really knowing what to expect and having the ignition cut out but it came back on just like the video and all was good.

That's awesome. Exactly what it's supposed to do. Worth its weight in gold when something does go wrong and it saves your motor :rockon:

Carlos c

Established Member
On the 05 and up cars is it better to cut injectors or coils.
Will there be a problem and go into safe-mode?

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member

awesome man thanks....I think i'll be adding my name to the list when I get my wideband sorted out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
On the 05 and up cars is it better to cut injectors or coils.
Will there be a problem and go into safe-mode?

Cut ignition. The only time I have seen the car throw codes is when testing excessively. In other words repeatedly triggering the unit over and over while proto typing etc. The car would eventually throw the wrench light on and trigger some codes which we were able to safely clear with a handheld. In normal use though the activation has no side affects.
Also in normal operation if you ever experience a fuel pump failure or other issue causing the unit to trigger I'd hope you don't continuously keep going WOT over and over hoping the unit will stop activating and shutting you down :) In such an event you probably will trigger the wrench light but that's a small price to pay for saving your engine.

rcjewells

Established Member
Anyone have suggestions on passing wires through the firewall on the passenger side? I don't see how you can pass wires through near the ECU (I have the ECU removed), and tried to follow the boost line going through the firewall and that's not working either.

I tried passing wires through the engine side on these grommets, but can't feel them on the passenger side:
IMAG0206.jpg

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
For passing through the firewall I find it really easy to just remove the wheel on the side of car I'm currently working on, remove the inner plastic wheel liner and put a small hole through there with a rubber grommet. You can see a couple on the left side of this pic.

IMAG1416_resized.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Woo Hoo. Finally inventory!! The factory is up to speed with tooling and deployment and able to make these now. I got piles of wire harnesses and all sorts of goodies. I'll start filing the back log of people next week. Thanks for been so patient guys.

photo%25201.png

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anyone using it with e85?
Is there a such thing as a e85 wideband ?

Yes myself as well as others use it with gas and E85. You use the same wideband. Widebands read in lambda not AF. So lambda 1.00 of gasoline is 14.67 and lambda 1.00 of E85 is 9.76. Most people have their gauges calibrated for gasoline as it's what almost everyone knows and is easiest to understand.
So on E85 my car's wideband gauge reads 14.7 in normal driving. Even though I know it's really 9.8. When I go WOT my gauge reads 11.8 on E85 as well as on pump gas. Why? because the wideband is reading lambda not air fuel ratio. It can be a little confusing at first if you're not familiar. May want to google up on it and do some reading.

Please add 1kwikgt to the list

Got you down.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's a very well written install document. Would you happen to have one specific to us Lightning guys? Sure would make the install easier if the wires to be tapped into were as clearly identified as you did for the cobra.

I don't have anything that detailed written up for the Lightning but if there's one in KC area that would like to work with me on an install I'd gladly document it and produce one for the Lightning. Any takers?

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
Yes myself as well as others use it with gas and E85. You use the same wideband. Widebands read in lambda not AF. So lambda 1.00 of gasoline is 14.67 and lambda 1.00 of E85 is 9.76. Most people have their gauges calibrated for gasoline as it's what almost everyone knows and is easiest to understand.
So on E85 my car's wideband gauge reads 14.7 in normal driving. Even though I know it's really 9.8. When I go WOT my gauge reads 11.8 on E85 as well as on pump gas. Why? because the wideband is reading lambda not air fuel ratio. It can be a little confusing at first if you're not familiar. May want to google up on it and do some reading.

Got you down.

Thank you
Gonna look into it .

So you just adjust the LPM with lambda and not a/f?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you
Gonna look into it .

So you just adjust the LPM with lambda and not a/f?

No you adjust the LPM in AF for ease of use. It does the lambda/AF conversions in the background. I was just briefly explaining how the wideband works to address you question about how can the wideband work for pump gas and E85.

chesster51

Established Member
I don't have anything that detailed written up for the Lightning but if there's one in KC area that would like to work with me on an install I'd gladly document it and produce one for the Lightning. Any takers?

Have you advertised the LCM in the Gen2 Lightning forum here? Just asking because there may be someone in the KC area not aware of your product.

Users who are viewing this thread