• whipple 2.3

Votes: 257 39.4%
  • neither i would stick with the eaton

Votes: 50 7.7%

• Total voters

jeb

Established Member
Potentn2o said:
Like a lot of people, I was loosing my mind trying to decide between the KB and the Whipple. Here is some reasons why I chose the KB 2.4

First of all, I have to say that I do like the looks of the Whipple a ton more than the KB. Everything about the Whipple right down to the pulley, looks better in my opinion.

Second. Let me say that I really believe that both blowers are pretty good and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Everybody has an opinion. Sometimes it's just comes down to doing your own research and making up your own mind.

When I was going to take the plunge, Whipple was having trouble getting the components to assemble their blowers therefor they were backordered for some months. I guess this might have made the decision a little easier for me.

When I was doing the research, I found a ton of information on KB's website. Granted, it might all have a little slant towards KB, but it was good reading non the lass. Whipple really didn't have much technical information that I found.

After reading all of the information that I could find, I came to the conclusion that both units are of similar design if not the same design. Of the two blowers, the KB seemed to be the industrial, heavy duty version. The case is made of billet, bearings are larger, drive gears are larger, rotor/ screw shafts are larger etc.

When I decided to go the KB route, I then needed to decide which one I would get. After checking into both, the 2.4 was only like two hundred bucks more than the 2.2 When your spending over three grand, what's a couple hundred bucks more.

The main reason I went with the 2.4 is that the 2.4 makes four pounds more boost than the 2.2 both being driven at the same speed. With the stock lower pulley and a 3.5" pulley on the blower, the 2.2 makes roughly twelve pounds and the 2.4 makes sixteen. With a 3.25" on both, the 2.2 makes roughly fourteen pounds and the 2.4 makes eighteen.

I figured that with the 2.4, I wouldn't have to work it as hard. I knew that I would probably never go over twenty pounds of boost. Therefor, I thought that with the 2.4 I could get there with a slower blower speed than the 2.2 Another point is that I could use a larger pulley on the 2.4 thus maybe helping out with belt slippage a bit.

To date, these are the parts that I have.

KB 2.4 w/ KB single blade throttle body.
K & N FIPK
SCT BA2400 MAF
SCT X-Cal 2
60 pound injectors
Focus pumps
AFCO dual pass heat exchanger
Borla #14858 cat-back

If it's not listed above, it's OEM

On a humid 96 degree day with the 3.5" pulley and sixteen pounds of boost it made 542 RWHP. With a 3.25" pulley and eighteen pounds of boost it made 568 RWHP. All runs were SAE correction. The tune consists of no more than twenty degrees of timing and the A/F was 11.5:1 I think this would be considered a "safe" tune.

One thing that I will add is that I have not had any issues with spewing oil. The blower has the vented pulley bolt.

The thing that I have to yet figure out is where all the torque is. With the 3.25" pulley and eighteen pounds of boost, I am making just a tic under 500 RWTQ. I am kind of disappointed in that. I'm kind of wondering that with the big blower, I have air volume making boost but don't have the velocity to make torque. Who knows. If anybody has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Hope this helps.

buy a lower pully :shrug:

stangfreak

Established Member
yes the kb or whipple does make the eaton look like a "leaf blower" like you said, but at high boost with race gas lol let me know how long your block lasts.

17lbs? keep the eaton. 19+lbs, go with a twinscrew, run race gas and hope for the best on the stock block

stangfreak

Established Member
the cobra blocks can handle power. we have seen 800+rwhp on the stock block from turbo 03 04 cobras.

guys run 19lbs on pump gas, thats alitte on the edge. these cars on high boost are on borrowed time. clearance from the cylinder to the wall is very very small. heat = bad. if you do a search you will see what i mean.

i ran a 2.4 kb at 17lbs and it was garbage. my eaton now is much faster than that setup i had.

now if were to run 20+lbs and race gas, then it would be a different story, the twinscrew would edge out the eaton.

thing is i dont want to use race gas, its expensive and i have no use for it. i want to be able to go to any gas station fill it up and run. i wanted a fast street car. twinscrew at 17lbs was a waste

03cobrarocks

Established Member
stangfreak said:
the cobra blocks can handle power. we have seen 800+rwhp on the stock block from turbo 03 04 cobras.

guys run 19lbs on pump gas, thats alitte on the edge. these cars on high boost are on borrowed time. clearance from the cylinder to the wall is very very small. heat = bad. if you do a search you will see what i mean.

i ran a 2.4 kb at 17lbs and it was garbage. my eaton now is much faster than that setup i had.

now if were to run 20+lbs and race gas, then it would be a different story, the twinscrew would edge out the eaton.

thing is i dont want to use race gas, its expensive and i have no use for it. i want to be able to go to any gas station fill it up and run. i wanted a fast street car. twinscrew at 17lbs was a waste

I agree with you 110% that is why I dont know if I ever want a new blower... seems better to just port the stock one get a lower pulley and like a 75 shot or if you got the money get a turbo setup !!!

SSmokin99

Banned
stangfreak said:

ahHhh I see...I really want a 03/04 cobra, but I did read a little about how their engines blow at high speed runs.

Almo

Established Member
stangfreak said:
dont forget i owned a 2.4 kb !!!

]look what i have now!! a eaton!!! wonder why

Your right, the 2.4 takes better to high boost and heads and cams. I don't know how many KB Cobras I have seen that are at 17/18 pounds of boost, with a lonely 2.2 KB or even a 2.3 Whipple that are 600 + to the wheels on pump gas. :bored:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I have a 2.4KB @ 21psi, on a stock motor, with stock manifolds, this thing exceeded my expectation by far on the 1st maiden voyage with the new combo and went 6.78 @ 106.1 mph in the 1/8th. Based from that 1/8th the car should go some 10.40-10.5's @ 133-135 on a decent pass. This is just the tip of the iceburg with this blower, I still havent cranked up the boost where it needs to be 24psi or so, and got aggressive with the tune.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the bigger blowers, so many dyno whores base their sole decision from how they do on the dyno. Well dyno #'s dont mean ass to me, I made 511whp/533tq on a ported eaton, and ran 10.89 @ 127.17 which is quicker and faster than most of the KB's and whipples that run at the track. Now I make 638whp 604tq SAE. Well see how it runs in the 1/4

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
stangfreak said:
you want to talk about pointless? i dont care which kb you buy or twinscrew. there ALL POINTLESS if you run them at 15lbs of boost.

if your not running ANY twinscrew at 19-21+psi the eaton will do just fine keeping up. RESEARCH!!!

no offense

tell eric brooks that, he runs 15psi on his 2.2 and makes 600whp STD

You give me a eaton car @ 15psi, and a KB car at 15psi, do the swap at the track same day, I will smack the eaton combo down with the quickness.

mccoigk

BLUSN8K
Established Member
This should be the last word regarding Whipple and who owns what and supply problems, etc.:
Power Restored

Less than a year ago, Whipple Industries was almost out of business. Once the dominant player in creating marine and automotive power-upgrade kits based on screw-type superchargers, the Fresno, Calif., company was down to six employees - most with the Whipple surname - from 32 and had zero production. Supply problems with Sweden-based Lysholm, the supplier of all superchargers once used in the Whipple kits, had forced the company to all but close its doors.

Engine builders who used Whipple superchargers were screaming. Customers, from do-it-yourself go-fast boat owners to one company that purchased 1,000 blowers a year, were screaming. Litigation between Lysholm and Whipple is pending. It was, in the simplest terms, a mess.

"What a lot of people don't know is that we kept our doors open just to handle our customers," says Dustin Whipple, the company's director of sales. His father, Art, started the company, primarily on the automotive side. "It was just the family here, trying to do whatever we could to help our customers."

"We started to have compressor supply problems (screw-type superchargers are true compressors) in October 2004, and by February 2005 we had received 200 of the 3,000 units we had ordered. So we decided that we had to invest in our futures and build our own compressor lineup."

Working with in-house personnel and two engineers on contract, Whipple created its own line of superchargers. To give them a more "American" distinction, the company uses cubic-inch rather than liter nomenclature for each product. Comparable to the former 2.3-liter Whipple unit is the 140-cubic-inch model. The 200-cubic-inch model replaces the 3.3-liter version. New to the lineup is a 305-cubic-inch offering, which translates to 5 liters.

Of course, creating the line took a lot more mechanical drawings and machine work. Primarily a power-upgrade kit assembler, Whipple had never done blower fabrication in-house - and still does not. The company out sources parts and assembles each compressor, as well as its kit, at the Fresno facility.

"The rotors are cut in Italy, the gears are made in Italy, the housings are from L.A. - it's really spread around," says Whipple. "Here in Fresno, we do assembly and testing."

Whipple still uses the same cupronickel intercoolers for all its blowers. However, the company made some of its own improvements.

"We changed some internal components to make them more robust and durable," he says. "We went to a much better front bearing, a double-angular bearing instead of a roller bearing. We went to Teflon-coated rotors versus anodized rotors for better corrosion resistance and a little more efficiency. We went with a roller bearing on the back instead of a needle bearing. We went to a different lower-gear coupler. It's made of a higher-grade plastic with a higher melting point. We installed a sight-glass for checking the oil, and used better oil that never needs to be changed. And we improved on the housing design and made it stronger."

The 140-cubic-inch compressor is part of the kits for 496 Mag, 496 Mag HO and 502 Magnum engine upgrades. The 200-cubic-inch model takes the place of its 3.3-liter predecessor in the HP500EFI and HP525EFI upgrade kits, as well as in former 3.3-liter Whipple applications in custom engine shops. Also slated for the professional custom engine outfits is the 305-cubic-inch blower.

"The 305 also is a direct replacement for roots blowers in carbureted applications," says Whipple. "It's designed and made to be used with existing roots equipment such as manifolds and linkage."

With its own product line established, Whipple has done strong work catching up on its backlog of orders. The company has rehired many of its former employees and now has 22 people on staff.

"We're still two or three weeks back-ordered on the marine side, but by May or June we'll be caught up and back to normal," says Whipple. "We're just really glad to be here. We have some rebuilding to do - we lost our biggest customer - but we're back."

By Matt Trulio,
Powerboat Magazine, May 2006

This article is also available to view here:
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/content.asp?PageID=85

CWD

Established Member
2.3 Whipple

Couldn't say much till installed it and ran it. Very much a quality piece indeed. Is very quiet compared to a ported Eaton. So far I am very satisfied. Looks awesome too. Taking it fairly easy till DFX 26 is in. Man I dread that install this week! KB and Whipple both are good choices in my opinion.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
I have heard that unless you plan on racing it all the time the KB 2.4 is a waste on the street, a 2.4 with under 20lbs might as well get the whipple.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
2.4 KB hands down, it flows more, and is capable of makeing more whp at lower levels of boost because of that. Duhhh!

:) I want one!

cakes

Cap'n Cupcake
Established Member
HalfTime said:
2.4 KB hands down, it flows more, and is capable of makeing more whp at lower levels of boost because of that. Duhhh!

:) I want one!

Um, theories a little off bud. The 2.4 works better at higher boost levels, but at lower boost levels, you will want a smaller setup.(lower as in under 20psi)

Users who are viewing this thread