• whipple 2.3

Votes: 257 39.4%
  • neither i would stick with the eaton

Votes: 50 7.7%

• Total voters

dsg03

Established Member
Almo said:
Why don't you wait til Whipple puts out their 3.3 for the Cobra.

It will not be long now. Also, didn't I hear or see something about Ford buying Whipple?

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1170

YEah just get a ford racing whipple. I know they have them, a buddy of mine just picked one up. OR if you can get a KB for cheaper do that. The differences are so minimal that you should just go with which is cheaper.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
TieBreaker said:
I have no doubt in my mind that a whipple is bad a**, but what i want to know is which one is better. you say that you put down 586 which is a strong number. but would a kb at the same timing and same boost do more or less horsepower wise.
it would be pointless for you to buy a 2.4 if you are going to run 15psi. If you were to take a kb 2.2 at 15 psi and a k 2.4 at 15psi, the 2.4 would make more hp but the 2.2 would pull on it all day long. 2.4s are good with high psi such as 23-29 or something like that. i say go with the whipple 2.3.... i didnt know what to do for a while and then i decided whipple for these reasons. They stay cooler, they can make the same power as a 2.4 if there at the same boost levels, cheaper! The downsides of whipple is no scream.... If u want to run at the track and are really into #s then go with the 2.4 only if it is at high psi because u will have great times and very good mph. A buddy of mine ran 9.7 at 137 on 25 psi.

tms217

Established Member
C H I N I said:
it would be pointless for you to buy a 2.4 if you are going to run 15psi. If you were to take a kb 2.2 at 15 psi and a k 2.4 at 15psi, the 2.4 would make more hp but the 2.2 would pull on it all day long. 2.4s are good with high psi such as 23-29 or something like that. i say go with the whipple 2.3.... i didnt know what to do for a while and then i decided whipple for these reasons. They stay cooler, they can make the same power as a 2.4 if there at the same boost levels, cheaper! The downsides of whipple is no scream.... If u want to run at the track and are really into #s then go with the 2.4 only if it is at high psi because u will have great times and very good mph. A buddy of mine ran 9.7 at 137 on 25 psi.

Where did you get your information about the 2.2 vs 2.4?

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
tms217 said:
Where did you get your information about the 2.2 vs 2.4?
2 of my good friends have both. dont get me wrong the 2.4 is a beast but it sounds like this guy is not going to be running much boost. so the comparison should be between 2.3 whipple and 2.2 kb

tms217

Established Member
C H I N I said:
2 of my good friends have both. dont get me wrong the 2.4 is a beast but it sounds like this guy is not going to be running much boost. so the comparison should be between 2.3 whipple and 2.2 kb

I agree. From what I have been told and seen, the 2.2 and 2.4 are almost identical in power output fome 20 psi and below. From 21 up is where the 2.4 starts to pull away form the 2.2

stangfreak

Established Member
you want to talk about pointless? i dont care which kb you buy or twinscrew. there ALL POINTLESS if you run them at 15lbs of boost.

if your not running ANY twinscrew at 19-21+psi the eaton will do just fine keeping up. RESEARCH!!!

03cobrarocks

Established Member
stangfreak said:
you want to talk about pointless? i dont care which kb you buy or twinscrew. there ALL POINTLESS if you run them at 15lbs of boost.

if your not running ANY twinscrew at 19-21+psi the eaton will do just fine keeping up. RESEARCH!!!

exactly the torque from the eaton is just awesome that is why I think for me I am just going ported blower and 4lb lower and I will probably get any twin screw a really good run for their money... also I am planning on a 100 shot :rockon:

I just dont like the torque of the twin screws it just seems like it should be better than it is for it to be a UPGRADE.

stangfreak

Established Member
03cobrarocks said:
exactly the torque from the eaton is just awesome that is why I think for me I am just going ported blower and 4lb lower and I will probably get any twin screw a really good run for their money... also I am planning on a 100 shot :rockon:

I just dont like the torque of the twin screws it just seems like it should be better than it is for it to be a UPGRADE.

your car with a upper lower pulley ported eaton and a 100 shot is going to be a very hard car to beat on the street i dont care what anyone says. look at 03flamedcobra, hes got a 100 shot with the basic bolt ons and ran a 10.01

lucafu1

Established Member
03CobraBro said:
First of all the KB looks like crap sitting in the engine bay, it looks cheap. Secondly I dont know how much I trust the guy anyway. He used to steal ideas and designs, which he almost got into a few law suits over back when he took a jab at building performance parts for the Grand National aftermarket. Last but not least, Whipple has been in the bussiness of building blowers for a very long time and I'm sure they know what they are doing more so than the KB clown show.

Well if your after looks then I agree buy a whipple, maybe you can get some pink wire loom to match the sticker on the whipple. If you wanna have a track proven S/C then get the KB. And if whipple makes better S/C then KB then where are all the whipples running sub 10s in the 1/4 mile?

Please show me one cobra in the 9s with a whipple. Please :burn:

stangfreak

Established Member
lol

yea there are kb cars in the 9's. but look how many kb cars are still in the 11's. running similar times to eatons. and we sure know the eaton IS NOT better than the kb. the kb blows the eaton away. i dont look at it that way.

stangfreak

Established Member
OkieFordGuy said:
i think the eaton has to go if your runnin more than about 15lbs.....too much heat, too inefficent.....tings will get too hot too fast

i dont think you ever felt a kenne bell after only a dyno pull right :read:

OkieFordGuy

3v Whaaa???
Established Member
stangfreak said:
i dont think you ever felt a kenne bell after only a dyno pull right :read:
well no ive never seen one on a dyno in person but ive ridden in razrs edge's kb cobra on many occasions and even had some time behing the wheel when it had an eaton on it......all i gotta say that kb makes the eaton look like a leaf blower....

03cobrarocks

Established Member
stangfreak said:
your car with a upper lower pulley ported eaton and a 100 shot is going to be a very hard car to beat on the street i dont care what anyone says. look at 03flamedcobra, hes got a 100 shot with the basic bolt ons and ran a 10.01

yea that is what I was thinking to... and a little weight reduction and I dont know about that many cars that will keep up with that combo and I want longtubes to :D the guys at hpp wanted to do a 125 shot but I dunno that may be a lil much for the engine :poke:

Potentn2o

Established Member
Like a lot of people, I was loosing my mind trying to decide between the KB and the Whipple. Here is some reasons why I chose the KB 2.4

First of all, I have to say that I do like the looks of the Whipple a ton more than the KB. Everything about the Whipple right down to the pulley, looks better in my opinion.

Second. Let me say that I really believe that both blowers are pretty good and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Everybody has an opinion. Sometimes it's just comes down to doing your own research and making up your own mind.

When I was going to take the plunge, Whipple was having trouble getting the components to assemble their blowers therefor they were backordered for some months. I guess this might have made the decision a little easier for me.

When I was doing the research, I found a ton of information on KB's website. Granted, it might all have a little slant towards KB, but it was good reading non the lass. Whipple really didn't have much technical information that I found.

After reading all of the information that I could find, I came to the conclusion that both units are of similar design if not the same design. Of the two blowers, the KB seemed to be the industrial, heavy duty version. The case is made of billet, bearings are larger, drive gears are larger, rotor/ screw shafts are larger etc.

When I decided to go the KB route, I then needed to decide which one I would get. After checking into both, the 2.4 was only like two hundred bucks more than the 2.2 When your spending over three grand, what's a couple hundred bucks more.

The main reason I went with the 2.4 is that the 2.4 makes four pounds more boost than the 2.2 both being driven at the same speed. With the stock lower pulley and a 3.5" pulley on the blower, the 2.2 makes roughly twelve pounds and the 2.4 makes sixteen. With a 3.25" on both, the 2.2 makes roughly fourteen pounds and the 2.4 makes eighteen.

I figured that with the 2.4, I wouldn't have to work it as hard. I knew that I would probably never go over twenty pounds of boost. Therefor, I thought that with the 2.4 I could get there with a slower blower speed than the 2.2 Another point is that I could use a larger pulley on the 2.4 thus maybe helping out with belt slippage a bit.

To date, these are the parts that I have.

KB 2.4 w/ KB single blade throttle body.
K & N FIPK
SCT BA2400 MAF
SCT X-Cal 2
60 pound injectors
Focus pumps
AFCO dual pass heat exchanger
Borla #14858 cat-back

If it's not listed above, it's OEM

On a humid 96 degree day with the 3.5" pulley and sixteen pounds of boost it made 542 RWHP. With a 3.25" pulley and eighteen pounds of boost it made 568 RWHP. All runs were SAE correction. The tune consists of no more than twenty degrees of timing and the A/F was 11.5:1 I think this would be considered a "safe" tune.

One thing that I will add is that I have not had any issues with spewing oil. The blower has the vented pulley bolt.

The thing that I have to yet figure out is where all the torque is. With the 3.25" pulley and eighteen pounds of boost, I am making just a tic under 500 RWTQ. I am kind of disappointed in that. I'm kind of wondering that with the big blower, I have air volume making boost but don't have the velocity to make torque. Who knows. If anybody has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread