Is my response too aggressive to a potential customer?

tistan

Established Member
My wife and I own a design build company. We get a lot of tire kickers, but sometimes they just rub you the wrong way. So we get an email from a potential client that attaches a laundry list of items. Says he already has the money financed for the job.

Convert the existing garage to new master suite
Build a new 1600 sqft garage
Attach that to the house with a new breezeway
Move laundry room to basement
Convert existing laundry to new bathroom
Extend brick on fireplace wall
Patio off new master suite complete with hot tub
Extend and rework landscaping
Fence property
New carpet and maybe flooring
Countertop and backsplash
Finish out basement

We ask what the budget is, and he tells us $100-150k.

Our response
In order to price anything we would need plans. We can either prepare those for you or you can work with another designer/architect.
Plans like this for the master suite, the new garage and laundry would run an estimated 3-5k.
If the 100-150k are supposed to cover the new garage and laundry as well, we wouldn't be able to achieve that.
Let us know if you'd like to talk about the design and plans further!

His response

I am very surprised that you don't think 150k would get all that done. I must be missing something because it just doesn't seem like there are huge costs in this. I am willing to discuss more but I would like to be able to have some very open discussions on the costs and try to get this done for closer to the 100k mark. That is a lot of money and should be able to accomplish quite a bit. We are not looking for 10k bathroom cabinets or anything like that. And we are willing to adjust the plans if needed to save cost. We do want to do it nice but are not looking for extravagance. It might help if you saw the existing house and walked through the garage space maybe. What would you say a typical basement finish costs per square foot?

How I want to respond

Thanks for your concern, but there is really no need to have a "very open discussion" on the cost. We can still provide you with plans. You can then take those plans, and get a homeowners permit for the work. You can then use your expertise in construction and construction budgeting to extract the most value from your $100k budget.

My wife says this is too aggressive? I think it is a fairly polite go **** yourself. This is literally $350-500k worth of work and this ass clown wants me to defend my assessment because he only has $100k to spend. I'm sick of being nice to dumb asses.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn’t think that was harsh at all, especially when written because things tend to be taken the wrong way.

Morgan

Established Member
He’s probably not aware that construction costs have skyrocketed over the past few years.

I would tell him that the min. cost for his project will start with a 3. If he wants to commission you for the design work, you’d be happy to have a conversation.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I see where you are coming from but my only professional input is that there is never any upside in being an asshole. Be short, sweet and unemotional. "Thanks, but no thanks."

You never know what could happen. Maybe this job is not for him but he can come back down the line with something that is a fit or maybe he refers you to someone that is less of a dick than he is.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ agreed

Id lean towards something that says the average cost of construction per sq ft is currently X, meaning this project would be in the 300-500k range. The only way to meet your budget goal would be to perform the work yourself. If that's an avenue you want to pursue we would be glad to produce those plans for you for the estimated $Y.

SVTXTC

Established Member
My wife and I own a design build company. We get a lot of tire kickers, but sometimes they just rub you the wrong way. So we get an email from a potential client that attaches a laundry list of items. Says he already has the money financed for the job.

Fence property
Finish out basement

Our response
In order to price anything we would need plans. We can either prepare those for you or you can work with another designer/architect.
Plans like this for the master suite, the new garage and laundry would run an estimated 3-5k.
If the 100-150k are supposed to cover the new garage and laundry as well, we wouldn't be able to achieve that.

His response

I am very surprised that you don't think 150k would get all that done. I must be missing something because it just doesn't seem like there are huge costs in this. I am willing to discuss more but I would like to be able to have some very open discussions on the costs and try to get this done for closer to the 100k mark. That is a lot of money and should be able to accomplish quite a bit. We are not looking for 10k bathroom cabinets or anything like that. And we are willing to adjust the plans if needed to save cost. We do want to do it nice but are not looking for extravagance. It might help if you saw the existing house and walked through the garage space maybe. What would you say a typical basement finish costs per square foot?

How I want to respond

Thanks for your concern, but there is really no need to have a "very open discussion" on the cost. We can still provide you with plans. You can then take those plans, and get a homeowners permit for the work. You can then use your expertise in construction and construction budgeting to extract the most value from your $100k budget.

My wife says this is too aggressive? I think it is a fairly polite go **** yourself. This is literally $350-500k worth of work and this ass clown wants me to defend my assessment because he only has $100k to spend. I'm sick of being nice to dumb asses.

I have them get the designs and get it approved by their town, and HOA etc. The serious ones will do the footwork and I know they’re serious. That’s when I provide the estimate. No use estimating something that may or may not be approved. Also prevents the tire kicker waste of time conversations.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just stick to the facts and provide your expertise and let him know that what he is planning is going to be in the 300-500k range based on your experience of doing these jobs. You threw a couple light jabs in there, but they aren't needed. Hit him with reality nicely and like mentioned earlier you may get a recommendation later or maybe he will still work with you while adjusting his expectations. He likely just has no idea. I have to deal with these kinds of people as well and often want to go off on them, but I know I'll get ripped to shreds by my boss if he finds out or we get a bad review.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We as consumers are usually ignorant to the cost of what it takes to make such things happen. We want as much as we can get as close to FREE as we can get it. His list for that budget is so ignorant he won't get anyone to touch it. That's like building a new house damn near..geesh. Hell we need our hardwood flooring pulled and subflooring replaced and new flooring and it's near 100 grand.

tistan

Established Member
^^^ agreed

Id lean towards something that says the average cost of construction per sq ft is currently X, meaning this project would be in the 300-500k range. The only way to meet your budget goal would be to perform the work yourself. If that's an avenue you want to pursue we would be glad to produce those plans for you for the estimated $Y.
There isn't an average sqft cost for remodel and additions. You do enough of them and you have a pretty good idea of what it will cost from the scope. If someone is serious we charge for the design, and then charge for the work of coming up with a budget.

tistan

Established Member
Yeah, $100k isn't going to cover half that. I'd be surprised if you could even build the 1600 sqft detached garage for that amount.
Just the concrete is going to eat up a lot of that $100k. Foundation guys here are few so they can name their price. The foundation for that 160lnft is in the $50k range. My flat work guy is $10 sqft too. That is another $16k. $66k before we even come out of the ground.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
A polite way of saying no thanks is quote him minimum $300,000 and if he wants to put 40% down you can put him on the list to start next year, as you are completely booked thru next April of 2024.

My aunt sold her house in 2021 for $300,000 and then used it to build an addition on her daughter’s (my cousin) house to move in with her and her husband and kids.

They took the roof of an existing 2 car garage, added a third bay, and built an in law apartment above all 3 bays.

Are up the $300,000 and then some. But I will say it came out beautiful and is better than most houses…..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Fence property
Finish out basement

Our response

His response

How I want to respond

Definitely dick response. $500k of work? LOL. Come on bro. Do you plan to knock down and rebuild the entire house?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I think that response is unnecessary. It sounds like it might be a troublesome customer so id just say Im booked up for a year out...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He thinks $100K should get the project done? LOL. Has he priced the cost of a 4-season sunroom? I have. It's over $100K up here. That said, IMO your replies to his emails were fine. Actually VERY fine. He might just be one of those customer you end up wishing you had never contracted with. If he decides to get other quotes, don't be surprised if he reaches back out to you to lock you in.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, that's one way to lose a potential customer and any potential referrals...

You likely have enough experience to quote a $/ft2 for remodel, new construction, and landscaping and let him figure out what he wants to do.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
A customer is a customer, whether today or when they face reality. How long would it take you to have a face to face conversation and put together an actual conceptual estimate? I just did a R.O.M (Rough Order of Magnitude) for a 67,000 sqft 3 over 1 podium multi-family. It took me less than a day and that was an $18 million dollar project.

Build the relationship, and they may decide to still spend the $100k but somewhere else. It's easy to tell them what they can't afford, tell them what they can afford and take their money.

I understand the frustration, I'm in the business. But we're still at a point where people are spending money but have budgets to hit. Maybe they want the GT500 but settle for the Dark Horse.

Users who are viewing this thread