Intake Spacers (revisited)...

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I've always wondered why there is so much controversy with this mod. Is there a cheaper one besides a drop in K&N? People argue about which $400-500 catback makes more power when they are all within probably 2-3 hp. What people need to understand is that the whole package must work together. Think about it, would you put big cams on a stock intake, stock heads, no CAI, no tune, stock exhaust car and then be surprised when they don't show any gains? Plus, there has been some ricer math on this thread. A claimed gain of 20hp from a CAI+10hp from a catback+5hp from UDP does not equal a 35hp gain. The aftermarket has made outlandish claims for years on what the products actually do. They often change more than one thing on the tests if you read the fine print.

Bottom line, depending on what your other mods are, you may or may not see as much of an increase. If you want to go for it, do it, it's not expensive. If you think it's bunk, don't do it.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
When adding a modification to our car, you have to reset the PCM so that it can relearn its parameters. Since the mod was just installed without the car adjusting its tables for the new mod, it won't make much of a performance increase. If anything, it could hurt the performance of the vehicle cause none of the airflow/fuel numbers will match what the car is currently used to.

Reset the PCM and do the drive cycle. Once that is done, take it back to the dyno and see if there is any difference.

Actually, in his case this would have skewed the results and should only be done if said mod is expected to have a dramatic affect on drivability.

This is especially true for a car that has been custom tuned like his since most custom tunes over ride the cars computer in open loop/wide open throttle operation. There is some adaptive open loop work done by the computer but it takes a long time and MANY drive cycles, even than it is very little.

As far as the dyno results, they are typical of other 99/01 cobras. Gains in the middle and some loss up top seems to be the norm over the years. I cant explain the loss of power up top and it seems contrary to logic but those have been the typical results over the years. Maybe nobody has done a proper before and after with tuning:shrug: The earlier dyno posted in this thread is the first one I've seen with gains in the upper RPM.

However, Jamies top end losses are more dramatic than they should be. Something does seem a bit off.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Ours came today. Ironicly it showed up as we were leaving for the track... DAMN IT!

Its going on today. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Actually, in his case this would have skewed the results and should only be done if said mod is expected to have a dramatic affect on drivability.

This is especially true for a car that has been custom tuned like his since most custom tunes over ride the cars computer in open loop/wide open throttle operation. There is some adaptive open loop work done by the computer but it takes a long time and MANY drive cycles, even than it is very little.

As far as the dyno results, they are typical of other 99/01 cobras. Gains in the middle and some loss up top seems to be the norm over the years. I cant explain the loss of power up top and it seems contrary to logic but those have been the typical results over the years. Maybe nobody has done a proper before and after with tuning:shrug: The earlier dyno posted in this thread is the first one I've seen with gains in the upper RPM.

However, Jamies top end losses are more dramatic than they should be. Something does seem a bit off.

+1.

Having teh car retuned may help. As mentioned before, it may be running at a tad lean in the upper RPMs.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
I put my 3/8 on yesterday and the car felt great but it was raining and limited my driving. For the install I left on everything except the EGR and slid it underneath which went without much fuss. I will try to data log WOT MAF counts to see if my car is now breathing record amounts of air.

red9450

Established Member
Sounds good, but my only purpose to buy and install one is to prove the gains to you guys, because after testing it out, I gotta take it off because my hood (96-98 Cobra) will not clear the 99-01's stock or CAI tubes with a spacer.

I'll buy the spacer. What ya want for it? pm me. thanks,

Lenny

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I'll buy the spacer. What ya want for it? pm me. thanks,

Lenny

I ordered one and it should be here anytime now, probably today. Soonest I will put it on will probably be late next week because I have to replace my rear bent axles (wobbly if on the dyno rollers), and I will at the same time be testing out the difference between a 99 ECU versus an 01 ECU in the same car since the 01 advances timing above 5k RPM and I wanna see what/if any benefits there are...but this involves a trip to Ford to program the PATS onto the 01 ECU first. :(

I might keep it on the car since I'm ALSO trying to have a 1/2" spacer made that will lower my K-member by 1/2" to make room for the intake spacer. Bear in mind that the total increase in height with the 3/8 PLUS the additional gasket will be about 1/2" and I will need my hood to clear it. (The nostrils on my hood, if you look at my avatar, the underhood part where they attach to the hood, there are extrusions that stick downward and they do hit against the intake tube if you're not careful).

Pic of hood rubbing:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/369/6670/98212.jpg

I have small spacers at my hood hinges near the cowl that raised it a little, but I do not want it to stick out in an odd manner at the back that is why lowering the motor by 1/2" will be the best bet, plus it will give me more clearance from having my driveshaft hit the tunnel as it has in the past due to lowering my transmission the half inch along with the motor.

That was a mouthful eh? :bored:

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I agree with Jamie and the other guy that stated the same. There is no need to reset his computer as he already has a custom tune. That tune will override any OEM parameters when he is on a WOT pull. So there is nothing for the computer to learn.

If you guys don't like the testing he spent HIS money and HIS time doing, then do it yourself and post up YOUR results. Not everyone is going to get a gain out of a specific part. It will all depend on the COMBINATION of parts on the car.

None of you realize that Jamie rushed back from the beach with his children just to get some free time on a buddy's dyno just so he could post up some results for you people!

The BS you are giving him is no different than the BS you whiny @$$ little pecker heads gave me when I ran my car on a Mustang dyno and then a Dynojet dyno just to illustrate the differences in the two. I say it is time more of you step up to the plate and post up YOUR results and spend a little of your money and time instead of relying on everything you read on an internet forum.

-- effing reminds me of the damn Mach 1 vs Cobra shootout where everyone talked a bunch of crap and then Jamie and I were the only ones that put our money and time where our mouths were.....

/rant off

Jamie,

I'll figure out the rpm vs mph for you sometime early this week. Just got home from the All Star race and my oldest has a recital tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I put the Karkraft one on saturday. Definite butt dyno improvement. I retract my statement about the EGR. Remove the 2 bolts holding it to the intake then re-install it. Trying to do it with the EGR hooked up was a BITCH. It wasn't anything like the MM.

rich01cobra

Established Member
i put mine on yesterday. didn't have enough time to really get into but i will today. i did notice my idle has changed. when i come to a stop, it comes down to normal then bounces up to about 1500 for a few seconds before coming back down. checked all my connections/hoses and everything is hooked up correctly. any ideas what could be causing this?

i did have the battery disconnected during the install and took her for a short non-spirited drive after install.

Established Member
i put mine on yesterday. didn't have enough time to really get into but i will today. i did notice my idle has changed. when i come to a stop, it comes down to normal then bounces up to about 1500 for a few seconds before coming back down. checked all my connections/hoses and everything is hooked up correctly. any ideas what could be causing this?

i did have the battery disconnected during the install and took her for a short non-spirited drive after install.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Anytime you have high idle symptoms like that, it's indicative of a vacuum leak.

Also, regarding the battery disconnect thingy, did all your gauges "sweep" across when starting your car after the battery reset? If so, then the ECU reset was successful. :thumbsup:

rich01cobra

Established Member

Anytime you have high idle symptoms like that, it's indicative of a vacuum leak.

Also, regarding the battery disconnect thingy, did all your gauges "sweep" across when starting your car after the battery reset? If so, then the ECU reset was successful. :thumbsup:

hmm, i'll look back over all connections today.

yep, they "swept" across so i got something rite! :banana:

Jamie R.

Established Member
Let me know how the rpm increments work out for ya Kevin and it was good talking to you again the other day. Man, ya'll saw some wild racing on the last 10.

Roy, I tried to call you the other day.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Established Member
Got my spacer today.

I'm trying to get an appt scheduled for the dyno....and yes, I will follow all my rules on the reset, drive cycle etc when I go through my process.

This will probably happen before the end of the week.

Ken

rich01cobra

Established Member

turned out to be nothing. my car needed a few drive cycles and the idle just smoothed out. it was weird the way it acted but it's fine now.

and SOTP feel is definitely noticeable, so is a drop off up top. i flashed my pcm last nite and threw on the one custom tune i have, so we'll see what that does for me.

overall, i'm very happy!

Established Member
Good News! I trimmed my hood, the blanket, and I now have 1" clearance by the throttle body and 0.75" at the intake tube. The vacuum tube going into the spaceship above the EGR has 0.65" clearance with the hood.

This means that I do not need to drop my k-member 0.5" like I wanted to, and this is a green light to install the spacer at my buddy's dyno.

Trimmed about 0.5" here (hack job for now.. I need some fiberglass coat to cover the trim) job:
285410.jpg

This is the "before":
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/369/6670/98212.jpg

:rockon:

Last edited:

COBRABRAD

Established Member
I did an accelerometer run after the spacer install with a full tank of gas in bad weather. Here is a comparison to my previous fastest 0-60 run ever.
DENSITY ALTITUDE 8/1/08:1724
DENSITY ALTITUDE 5/20/09:2075
G FORCE EQUALIZATION POINT 34.16 MPH 1ST GEAR 5640 RPM

BEFORE AFTER
AVG. G'S 0-5 0.368372881 0.331075758 -10.12%
AVG. G'S 5-10 0.612540541 0.619416667 1.12%
AVG. G'S 10-15 0.613918919 0.661794118 7.80%
AVG. G'S 15-20 0.614421053 0.683363636 11.22%
AVG. G'S 20-25 0.625611111 0.6974375 11.48%
AVG. G'S 25-30 0.620648649 0.7140625 15.05%
AVG. G'S 30-35 0.633333333 0.669176471 5.66%
AVG. G'S 35-40 0.534487179 0.527119048 -1.38%