Intake Spacers (revisited)...

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Long Tubes are good for over 20 rwhp and have been suggested to offer 30 rwhp (ACTUAL) on our cars. The spacer has been proven to offer over 10rwhp/tq, and supposing your ported intake gave you 5 rwhp, your mid pipe and catback gave you ~15rwhp, you should be pulling at LEAST 330 rwhp minimum that is if your car dynoed at 270 rwhp stock. If it did any higher while stock, you should be above 330.
My car dynoed at 294/295 with just a Magnaflow catback and a BBK CAI :rockon:

Thats what we call ricer math kiddo. Id like to see a set of headers return 30hp. Everything works together, its not just a straight add on top of add. Neither of you have considered the type of dyno used, and Ken even your claim about your car doesnt mention type of dyno used.....not that any of this matters except to say both of you get over it. Like it was said before, dyno racing is for ****, you two with your bitching have proven to be truely just that so congradulations. It's just too bad Oregon doesnt marry homos anymore...I guess you two are just out of luck for now ;-)

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Thats what we call ricer math kiddo. Id like to see a set of headers return 30hp. Everything works together, its not just a straight add on top of add. Neither of you have considered the type of dyno used, and Ken even your claim about your car doesnt mention type of dyno used.....not that any of this matters except to say both of you get over it. Like it was said before, dyno racing is for ****, you two with your bitching have proven to be truely just that so congradulations. It's just too bad Oregon doesnt marry homos anymore...I guess you two are just out of luck for now ;-)
I'm with these guys..................
Can we get back to the matter at hand?? So what's the Dyno numbers on the 1/2 inch spacer?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Just a FYI, you will need to go to Ford and get a stock tune put on your car before you can have any tuning done to it. So the tuner you purchase will have a factory back up on it. Not a big deal like $100.

ya i was going to put it back to stock tune when i get the new programmer, i work for ford so its free for me lol :dancenana:

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
ya i was going to put it back to stock tune when i get the new programmer, i work for ford so its free for me lol :dancenana:

mrburns_excellent1.jpg

2001asp

Established Member
Just so everyone knows, I saw that MMR also sells Intake spacers. They claim 10-12 hp and the price is $109. Carry on. That is all...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here is a post I submitted in the Terminator section. May or may not apply here but I thought it may provide some insight

"I don't think anyone other then RR has done a comprehensive back-to-back test on a blower space effect on engine output. Generally any claims made by a vendor I tend to take with a grain of salt.

But I do see some benefits with using one. The big one for me was how close the discharge of the intercooler was to the floor of the intake manifold. All that high velocity air slamming into that "wall" then having to get out from under the IC doesn't strike me as an ideal flow path. Plus it will open up the inlet to the intake ports. A blower spacer moving the IC away from the manifold certainly can't do any harm plus it also buys you more plenum area and injector clearance. I put one under my AX140. To be honest I would put one on top of the IC as well and get a wider path between the blower discharge and the IC but now your into it for close to $500 and that's a bit mush to spend and it will raise the height of the blower to the point it won't clear the hood.

For me I think the engine would like it better then not having one and it doesn't cost a lot of coin. Too bad they could not make it from glass reinforced phenolic and insulate the blower against heat soak from the engine:nonono:"

MVD brought up a good point I did not consider

Originally Posted by MVD
You have it backwards, the engine is actually the heatsink for the blower. Remember the blower operates at very high temps, but the engine is only going to get to 175-185 depending on what thermostat you run.

Long time ago (back in 2001ish) a guy with a Lightning thought the same thing you did and made a blower spacer from phenolic material then went to collect data......the blower temps immediately went through the roof.

My response:

"That makes sense. I'm not sure how quickly the heat from compressing the air will make the housing temperature exceed the engine temp. The blower only produces heat when it's boosting. I could imagine under extended boost periods the direction of the heat would flow in the opposite direction (toward the engine). But when it's freewheeling and not compressing air it should generate very little heat and on a streetcar that's 95% of the time. That is when the engine is the source of heat not the blower. That's kinda where I was coming from. On a road racer insulating the blower might not do good things. A cooler running twin screw might makes this more effective.

Interesting topic though. Maybe Dustin will chime in."

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Why wouldn't you do it? Reguardless if there is a gain or not (which there IS). This mod cost $100 and can be installed by even the most basic wrench turners out there. So again, why would you not do this mod?

SlowSVT

Established Member
This is a thread about spacers for NA 99-01's, blowers aren't an issue!

Re-read the first line. Last time I checked there are quite a few NE Cobra's running blower including a few on this thread. Some of the info on my post is relative to both.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
*Update* I went to the fab shop today that does all my laser/water jet work. I took down blueprints for both the Cobra/Mach1 intake and the FR500 intake spacer. I should have a price estimate and two thin guage steel test fit parts by the end of next week.

I specified the cobra intake spacer be 3/8" thick material, when the gaskets are included it will be a 1/2" intake spacer. The FR500 spacer will be 1/2" thick material so once gaskets are installed, it will be just slightly taller at 9/16." The FR500 gaskets are much thinner material than the stock cobra/mach1 intake gaskets.

I will test fit the 1/2" spacer on my '99 to determine what needs to be done to the EGR to make it work.

Anthony
Midcontinent Mustangs

DC97Cobra

Established Member
AWESOME! I will be purchasing one of those spacers once I get back home. Should do pretty well with my setup! I'm guessing that it is pretty much an easy install?

rich01cobra

Established Member
AWESOME! I will be purchasing one of those spacers once I get back home. Should do pretty well with my setup! I'm guessing that it is pretty much an easy install?

yeah, this is a very basic install. somebody posted a good write-up from the mach 1 registry, page 7 of this thread i think. torque specs for your intake bolts are 10 NM / 89 in lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread