Intake Spacers (revisited)...

Solo500

Established Member
Hey man, don't worry about it... you're in the 12's! :-D

I wasnt trying to argue but you kept taking jabs at my power numbers for no reason. I didnt talk shit. I said im not sure if the part did anything for me because I also installed a Ported lower at the same time. I was simply responding to your constant negative comments about my car, as others also noticed you making unnecessary comments. Thats all.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Help! I'm trying to post the graph with no successs. The spacer picked a lot up in the mid but lost some up top. This is the 1/2. The car feels really strong and a car that someone drives a lot will really feel peppy with this!!

Jamie R.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
PHP:
jamie_intakespace.jpg
(182jamie_intakespace.jpg
KB)

Help! I'm trying to post the graph with no successs. The spacer picked a lot up in the mid but lost some up top. This is the 1/2. The car feels really strong and a car that someone drives a lot will really feel peppy with this!!

Jamie R.

MustangMods.com Image Hosting

You have to upload the pic onto a hosting site first.

01bluesnake

Established Member
PHP:
jamie_intakespace.jpg
(182jamie_intakespace.jpg
KB)

Jamie R.

:) cant wait to see the gains

Established Member
:) cant wait to see the gains

No kidding, I'm sitting here pulling my hair out in anticipation. :(

BTW, for anyone who ordered from Karkraft last weekend, did your spacer show up yet? :shrug:

Okay, pic is up, we see 5 HP gains, but what happened to the TQ?

..and this is a "before" from today? Or from a few months ago?

Last edited:

Jamie R.

Established Member
Thanks! I forgot about doing that. All we did was spin it and took it off the dyno. He said the correction factor is pretty close on a n/a car like mine. The air was thicker today than when we spun the car last, so take that as what it is. This is also on a dynojet and no we did not go to the trouble of hooking the wide band up because we just did this a little bit ago and we was'nt trying to spend a lot of time on it. My car has been pretty repeatable, so we felt pretty good about just spinnin' it. There is the results, good or bad.

Jamie R.

Jamie R.

Established Member
The 317 was before, the 312 was today. There is a trade off, pick up a lot in the middle and lose a little on the end or leave it like it is. We did 'nt hook anything up, just strapped it down and ran it to see what it put out. I just got back from florida and eric (dyno owner/friend) just got through with a blower car at the end of the day, we just wanted to see the gains if any.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks! I forgot about doing that. All we did was spin it and took it off the dyno. He said the correction factor is pretty close on a n/a car like mine. The air was thicker today than when we spun the car last, so take that as what it is. This is also on a dynojet and no we did not go to the trouble of hooking the wide band up because we just did this a little bit ago and we was'nt trying to spend a lot of time on it. My car has been pretty repeatable, so we felt pretty good about just spinnin' it. There is the results, good or bad.

Jamie R.

Did you do the drive cycle process after a battery reset?

Jamie R.

Established Member
I never unhooked my battery and my car is tuned. I just put the spacer on last weekend and fired the car up a little bit ago to go to the dyno because my buddy eric said to bring it.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I never unhooked my battery and my car is tuned. I just put the spacer on last weekend and fired the car up a little bit ago to go to the dyno because my buddy eric said to bring it.

Jamie R.

I was afraid someone would do just that. :poke:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Why, what's the big deal with what I did?

Jamie R.

When adding a modification to our car, you have to reset the PCM so that it can relearn its parameters. Since the mod was just installed without the car adjusting its tables for the new mod, it won't make much of a performance increase. If anything, it could hurt the performance of the vehicle cause none of the airflow/fuel numbers will match what the car is currently used to.

Reset the PCM and do the drive cycle. Once that is done, take it back to the dyno and see if there is any difference.

Jamie R.

Established Member
On this resetting deal...I have never done this and my car has never been effected by it as far as I know. I usually install something and track the car and I know if it worked. My JLT, Exhaust, and the other mods I have, has never been reset on the battery. My car usually goes to the track afterwards and it either hauls a** or it does'nt and so far everything that I have done to it has made it haul a** without resetting the 'puter. I will not do anything like this again. At least be guys faster than me sweatin' me about this, but you guys are not.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Last edited:

Roy

Established Member
The 317 was before, the 312 was today. There is a trade off, pick up a lot in the middle and lose a little on the end or leave it like it is. We did 'nt hook anything up, just strapped it down and ran it to see what it put out. I just got back from florida and eric (dyno owner/friend) just got through with a blower car at the end of the day, we just wanted to see the gains if any.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Were both pulls done today?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Even when reflashing the PCM, resetting KAM (by disconnecting the battery) is very effective. Shame there was no A/F graph.

Last edited:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
On this resetting deal...I have never done this and my car has never been effected by it as far as I know. I usually install something and track the car and I know if it worked. My JLT, Exhaust, and the other mods I have, has never been reset on the battery. My car usually goes to the track afterwards and it either hauls a** or it does'nt and so far everything that I have done to it has made it haul a** without resetting the 'puter. I will not do anything like this again. At least be guys faster than me sweatin' me about this, but you guys are not.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Jamie,

We are all with you on trying to see how this mod does on our cars and want to make sure all corners are covered. Thanks for taking a chance and installing the part. Regretfully, we all need to make sure that we duplicate the steps explained above so that we can get accurate results across the board. It will be the only way that we will be able to accurately compare the performance gains from one vehicle to another.

With the mod allowing more airflow into the motor, it might be leaning out your car. With your dyno run showing that it made some improvements on the low and mid range but not up top can mean that your current tune is offering a decent amount of fuel down low but is leaning out too much in the higher RPMs. This will then cause spark knock and retard your timing. End result would be a loss in performance in the higher RPM. I would suggest that you take the Cobra back to the dyno and have the car retuned. You might see a more noticable gain than what the current run is currently showing.

Just one more question.. When you had your car originally tuned, did you ask for safe tune or to push the car to the max?

Users who are viewing this thread