Intake Spacers (revisited)...

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Ken,

Is everyone from LA as "know it all" and argumentative as you? I am just curious.

BTW, what are your ET and MPH in the highly regarded 1/4 mile test? WHEN and IF you ever do anything other than talk on the internet, I would like to request density altitude, barometric pressure, ambient air temperature, track surface temperature, humidity %, 60' time, 60' mph, 1000' time, 1000' mph, lauch rpm, vehicle weight, wind direction and speed, shift rpm, track VHT prep amount, etc to go along with 1/4 mile numbers. Oh yeah, before and after for all of those just so we can make sure the testing was consistent.

And if you want a challenge, how about I give my bone stock 01 vert to Jaime or Mike and let them run head to head with you and your "GT-Cobra engine swap I finally installed the proper ECU"? Hell, I'll do it. To even it out, I get to spend the exact same amount of money you have spent on your mods, to put mods on my car.

I can't stand posting up a challenge like this, but damn, you are all over the freaking forum with all of your "by God I know it all" information.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^ last time i took someone elses car down the track i broke it lolol

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Trust me, I don't race one and not expect to break something. If you ain't breakin', you ain't runnin' hard enough!!! :)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Trust me, I don't race one and not expect to break something. If you ain't breakin', you ain't runnin' hard enough!!! :)

its funny you say that because i told him it's either gonna run the number or its gonna break lol

poor trans never saw it coming lololol

Jamie R.

Established Member
Kevin that is funny, but you, me, or even mike (oo) could outrun this dude and he could be driving your built cobra with us driving the stock 'vert. This dude put's the :loser: to me when all he ever would do is lose to me and that is really funny as hell!! I'm done with this 'cause all this dude knows to do is argue about pointless bs. I think him and cobraracer4.6 must hang out together out there in cali.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Haha, the nutswinging parade showed up :lol:

Envy is a bad thing mmkay?

Cali-cool :coolman:

Jamie R.

Established Member
I can totally understand you being envious of us, because you know it all I would fully expect you to know that:idea: Dude you really are a argumentative. Argue me this though...you still have'nt answered the question of what has that car ran?????????????????????????? If you've ran that badass 14 sec pass, it's cool you can just keep it to yourself. Anyhow carry on with unhooking that battery:fart:

Jamie R.

Established Member
I can totally understand you being envious of us, because you know it all I would fully expect you to know that:idea: Dude you really are a argumentative. Argue me this though...you still have'nt answered the question of what has that car ran?????????????????????????? If you've ran that badass 14 sec pass, it's cool you can just keep it to yourself. Anyhow carry on with unhooking that battery:fart:

Jamie R.

Jamie,

[edited by me 006]

I am not a racetrack whore. My last trip ended up with a blown clutch that blew a hole in the bellhousing midway through 2nd gear and coasted the rest of the track (9.864 at 70.59). Tells you about the mad-powa that my car is putting down eh?..or I just straight out suck at the track. Either of them should be evident, but I'm leaning on the latter. (you can find the thread..it's on SVTP somewhere)

Want to argue the battery disconnect (KAM reset) procedure?

ok.

Here are some references for you:

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/How_adaptive_control_works.pdf

EEC IV Inner Workings

Welcome to the wonderful world of EEC electronics! (pronounced "EEK") This is the first in a series of articles here on The Mustang Works dealing with the EEC. We will be discussing various aspects of the EEC in a Mustang. By understanding how the EEC controls the engine, hopefully you'll get a better idea of why some changes to your engine may or may not perform as you expected. Through a series of articles, we will go through major sections of the EEC and how they work with common aftermarket parts. Some of this might be old news to a few, but alot of it goes way beyond what has ever been written before. In each issue we will go through sections like: Adaptive Control, MAFs and Injectors, Closed Throttle / Part Throttle / Wide Open Throttle, Sensors and what they do, Replace the EEC or Re-Calibrate, Fooling the EEC, Fuel Control, Spark Control, Speed Density Vs. Mass Air, Power Adders and the EEC, and EEC Transmission Control.

I'm sure you've all heard something about the EEC's Adaptive Control system, but what exactly is it, and what does it do? Before we get into the Adaptive Control system, let's define a few common terms:

SPEED Another term for RPM
LOAD Roughly volumetric efficiency or how much air is entering the engine over how much it can hold.
CLOSED LOOP Fuel control when the EEC is using the oxygen sensors as feedback to control the fuel injectors
OPEN LOOP Fuel control when the EEC is relying on tables to control the fuel injectors
WOT Wide Open Throttle

The Adaptive Control system is used to correct changes in engine operation caused by variations in air metering and fuel delivery devices. The Adaptive Control system corrects the problems of variability by making changes to fuel flow based on what it has 'learned' about the system. If your engine is running leaner than it should, the Adaptive Control system can richen the system up automatically. The same thing if it is running a bit rich. The EEC has a special block of memory called the Keep Alive Memory where it stores information about how the engine is operating. By looking at the oxygen sensors, the EEC can tell if the amount of fuel it is delivering is the same amount actually going into the cylinders at a given Speed / Load point. In the Keep Alive Memory, there is a table that represents Speed / Load points normally used during Closed Loop control. As the EEC reads the oxygen sensors, it updates this table if it finds any differences in the fuel delivered and the A/F ratio measured. As an example, we will look at how the Adaptive Control system works if fuel pressure is something other than stock.

From this example, you'll quickly see why an adjustable pressure regulator might not be a good investment of your money. Ford uses a fuel pressure of roughly 39 PSI to rate it's fuel injectors. The fuel regulator operates in conjunction with manifold pressure to keep the delta pressure across the fuel injectors at roughly 39 PSI at all times. In the EEC calibration, there is a number that represents the size of the injectors installed in the engine. This number represents how much fuel the injector will flow at 39 PSI. The EEC uses this number, along with airflow information to correctly calculate A/F ratio. Based on the airflow number and it's target A/F ratio, the EEC pulses the fuel injector to give just the right amount of fuel to reach it's target A/F ratio at any given Speed/Load point. Now if you were to increase the fuel pressure, the amount of fuel delivered for a given pulsewidth would go up since more fuel will be forced through the injector. As soon as the EEC goes into Closed Loop control, it will 'see' this increased fuel pressure. The reason for this is for any given pulsewidth, the A/F ratio as measured by the oxygen sensor will be richer than what the EEC wanted it to be since now there is more fuel delivered with the same pulsewidth. The EEC will calculate the difference from what it wanted and what it got and update the Adaptive table with a 'correction factor' and use this correction factor to reduce the injector pulsewidth the next time the injector fires. Eventually what happens is the EEC is able to 'dial out' the extra fuel that was added by increasing the fuel pressure. Now you can probably see why raising the fuel pressure is only a temporary 'fix' for a lean problem. Soon you will be right back where you started from. The EEC is continuously updating the Adaptive table anytime it is in Closed Loop.

"What about Open Loop?" you might ask. Well, it works there too. This fact alone is know by very few people. Most people think Adaptive only works when in Closed Loop. This is wrong! Adaptive is only UPDATED during Closed Loop. It would be silly to ignore changes in the air and fuel system in Open Loop and only correct them in Closed Loop. If you have a serious fuel problem, your car might not even start if the EEC didn't have some way of correcting things all the time. The way the EEC uses Adaptive in Open Loop is similar to Closed Loop except it doesn't update the table. This means it's not looking at the oxygen sensor for feedback. It is merely relying on the information stored in the table to make corrections. Since the Adaptive table only contains Speed / Load points normally seen during Closed Loop, where does the correction factor come from if I'm at WOT? Good question. The answer is; it uses the last value it was using while in Closed Loop. Since the Keep Alive Memory has power to it even when the ignition key is turned off, the Adaptive table retains it's information. The only way to clear the Adaptive table is by disconnecting the vehicle's battery. Do that and you're back to working with a clean slate and the whole process starts over again. Now there are limits to how much the Adaptive Control system can change the calibrations. The adaptive system has a range of roughly +/- 25%. If you had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed, and you needed more fuel, you could keep cranking it up until the EEC could no longer dial the fuel back out. The problem with this is you will set a code and the 'Check Engine' light might come on.

A quick tip. When setting your fuel pressure, always check it with the vacuum reference DISCONNECTED! The pressure reading with the vacuum connected to the regulator depends on how much vacuum your engine pulls at idle. Depending on your camshaft, this can vary quite a bit. If you have a big cam and set your idle pressure to 32 PSI with the vacuum reference connected, you might only be getting 36 PSI at WOT. It's VERY important to set the idle pressure with the vacuum reference disconnected. This way you know for sure how much fuel pressure you get at WOT.

AUTO REPAIR HELP - ONBOARD COMPUTER (EEC)

Modern cars and trucks are lightyears from even vehicles of just 20 years ago. Just about every vehicle system is constantly monitored in real time by a computer which is typically located behind the dashboard, but sometimes in the engine compartment. A myriad of sensors constantly measure key components and send these readings (data) to the onboard computer. The onboard computer (also known as EEC - Electronic Engine Control) then compares these readings to specs and determines if they are within an acceptable range. If not, the computer generates a trouble code (OBD-II code for 1996 and later, OBD-I for 1995 and earlier) and then illuminates the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light which is on the instrument panel. When you see this light on, it doesn't necessarily indidate a serious problem requiring an expensive auto repair procedure.
The onboard computer control module is a microprocessor that is used to manage fuel delivery, operate controlled components, process sensor information, and perform system diagnostics. Contained in the control module are logic and memory circuits, voltage buffers, transistors and driver modules. Constant fused battery voltage and switched ignition voltage are connected to the control module as a power supply. Most control modules will use two or more redundant ground circuits to ensure a good ground connection. The control module will output a buffered voltage signal to operate and read information sensors. Most control module systems use a 5 volt reference signal to operate information sensors. A dedicated sensor ground may be supplied by the control module as well.

The control module is calibrated to tailor system operation to a specific vehicle powertrain and emission configuration. Calibration of the control module is achieved either using ROM (read only memory) or a replaceable PROM (programmed read only memory) chip. Some control modules use an erasable PROM that can be recalibrated by downloading a calibration file from a computer. Some control modules use an adaptive learning strategy to tailor engine control to vehicle operating conditions. Idle speed, fuel delivery and is some cases, transmission shift points, can be modified to adapt to wear, malfunction or driving habits. Most adaptive learning strategy is contained in volatile memory circuits and is erased when battery power is removed from the vehicle such as during an auto repair project. This may affect vehicle operation until the strategy is relearned.

Most control modules operate system components by providing a ground path for the controlled component electrical circuit. The ground circuit is usually provided by transistors or internal driver modules contained inside the control module. Current handling capabilities of the transistors or driver modules is of moderate capacity, so system components are designed with a high enough resistance to limit amperage flow. Control module damage can result from high current flow from a shorted components. Prior to replacing a faulty control module, the circuit resistance of controlled components should be checked.

I sincerely hope you're coming into this thread with an open mind because there is something to learn here and coming in with a closed and negative mind will not get you anywhere.

Read and learn my friend. I'm sure that I've helped lots of SVTP members learn various things that helped them with their cars. This thread has accomplished just that. It has allowed certain items to be discussed along with their benefits to allow the reader to discern what mods suit them best and what mods are not worth looking into. This mod that was once written off as worthless actually turned out to be a worthwile piece..all for just a mere $80 bucks. Why? because I brought up the issue and identified the errors that were performed initially that resulted in the ready for this? Diss.

[edited by me 006]

:rockon:

Ken

Last edited:

Jamie R.

Established Member
The spacer is not a bad mod but it's deffinitely not one of the best for these cars. OO could have picked up his et difference from a cooler night. I will say I take back what I said about cobraracer4.6 becuase even he is not as argumentative as you. Keep telling everybody you know everything there is to know and what you know is best. I'm sure I've helped a lot more people in this forum than you have. Kevin and Mike are friends of mine that know a lot more about these cars than you grasp. I am really done with this now becuase all this is just bs and you have no clue about this other than making damn sure you unhook that battery. Sorry to hear your car broke, I really am, 'cause I hate to see that for anybody. If you ever run that car at the track I'd be interested to see what you do with it. I'm out.

Jamie R.

Established Member
The spacer is not a bad mod but it's deffinitely not one of the best for these cars. OO could have picked up his et difference from a cooler night. I will say I take back what I said about cobraracer4.6 becuase even he is not as argumentative as you. Keep telling everybody you know everything there is to know and what you know is best. I'm sure I've helped a lot more people in this forum than you have. Kevin and Mike are friends of mine that know a lot more about these cars than you grasp. I am really done with this now becuase all this is just bs and you have no clue about this other than making damn sure you unhook that battery. Sorry to hear your car broke, I really am, 'cause I hate to see that for anybody. If you ever run that car at the track I'd be interested to see what you do with it. I'm out.

Jamie R.

Hey man, Thanks for levelling out. I'll edit the crap/bad words I typed up. :( Grown men can actually grow up.

Established Member
Don't edit out your words, Ken. They were sooo funny! :poke:

Took them out dude. We're grown men behaving like children.

We're here to share a common love for our cars and to share information that will benefit each other. Getting into a who's got the bigger cack is not going to help, but rather will create a divide. This is not the way to approach things.

I'm 40, yet I'm ashamed to say that I acted 17 earlier. :(

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Took them out dude. We're grown men behaving like children.

We're here to share a common love for our cars and to share information that will benefit each other. Getting into a who's got the bigger cack is not going to help, but rather will create a divide. This is not the way to approach things.

I'm 40, yet I'm ashamed to say that I acted 17 earlier. :(

dude it's all good

shit i'm 31 going on 12 ask my wife, she'll tell ya lol

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
Is everyone from LA as "know it all" and argumentative as you? I am just curious.

CA sucks in general, as nice as it is out there. i love it, but i love my back east atmosphere. the people are nicer, granted were broker, the weather isnt as hot, up in the NE here we get snow for less than half the year (just enough to like, then get sick of shoveling, but winter riding never gets old ;) )

plus, most guys out west dont know what tastycakes are :(

everything causes cancer, all the good race parts arent aloud, and they have set days you can ride your own $8k dollar 4 wheeler....

im glad everyone can man up and say they were childish-i like that we are a tight group of people, as the few 99/01 guys i ran into are cool as hell and eager to talk.

Last edited:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
its funny you say that because i told him it's either gonna run the number or its gonna break lol

poor trans never saw it coming lololol

I remember us beating the piss out of a certain black 01 just before it had a trans failure 16 months ago :D

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I remember us beating the piss out of a certain black 01 just before it had a trans failure 16 months ago :D

i don't still don't know who won that fight...i think your car might have won lol

The car i broke was my friends Ls1 SS...(way before i knew you) i told him i was gonna cut a 1.5 60 on his 10 bolt leaving on the spray or it was gonna puke the rearend all over...i didn't get very far lol

HitmanKB

KING COBRA
Established Member
You guys are funny, Ken's a good dude and knows a hell of a lot about these cars, any of us ever do an entire motor/tranny swap pretty much by ourselves let alone 3? I didn't read all 12 pages but what I read was funny enough...

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
ok so i got caught up with the back and forth of this thread but i don't think i actually found an answer to install or not a spacer and if so then how much...did this ever get cleared up?

Users who are viewing this thread