Installing Cams in 01 Cobra with stock engine!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If someone wants a rough idle so be it, it's their car and their money.

A 4v wont lope like you think it will.
Its your money but youre going to spend a lot of money to have cams installed and you wont gain that much HP or sound. :cryying:

A 4v will lope and lope a lot if the cams are spec'd for it.

I've spec'd many cams for 4vs that both lope and make 360rwhp or more. They also make good tq and midrange power.

Birdman, regrinds won't make the same power as billets because you can't get enough duration out of them without requiring shims and/or longer valves, I've had many discussion with Bullet about this over the last few weeks. the most we can get out of a set of cobra cams is around 212 degrees which is only 8 deg more than stock.

My 230+ @ .050 cams don't lope anywhere near what the 268 advertised cams in my 351C do. It does sound meaner than any 4v I have heard, but still doesn't lope that much. I would never advise someone to put cams in a stock engine, you need compression and cubes to make power with cams. But, it is your money, if you want to blow it, go right ahead.

230+ duration cams in a big bore stroker are pretty mild when compared to mid 220 deg dur cams in a 281ci engine. I can make 220 deg cams lope and make decent power but most people want longer duration because that's what they think is needed...it's not.

:lol::lol:

A "stock engine with an Eaton" is not a stock N/A 4.6l DOHC!!! The gains on that would be substantial because the valves will be held open longer and the supercharger will push a larger volume of air into the cylinder heads.

The gains on a naturally aspirated stock DOHC engine wont be anywhere near as much but atleast it will sound cool. Right?

The gains will not be substantial because the eaton can already push it to the point where it'll blow.

On an n/a engine a set of cams matched to the combo, (off the shelf or custom) will easily add 40rwhp or more to a stock n/a longblock.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ Yeah but if you can't do the labor yourself figure that into the price on top of $1200+ for the cams, it's NOT practical for a stock motor But if the OP wants to spend that kind of money nobody is stopping him..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
it's NOT practical for a stock motor But if the OP wants to spend that kind of money nobody is stopping him..

Please explain why? Also, tell us why it would be practical to cam a non-stock engine?

In my opinion, the only person that can determine if it's worth it or not is the one who owns the car.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Well for example most of the time a NON stock motor has cams installed when the shortblock is on a stand ready for forged pistons and rods,head work etc.. motor is already pulled..figuring in the price for labor and the cams to gain 30 on a stock motor would have Some scratching their heads... Camming Terminators with ported Eatons have produced impressive gains. Remember my last sentence said he is FREE to do as he wants and if cams are the ticket go for it!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
230+ duration cams in a big bore stroker are pretty mild when compared to mid 220 deg dur cams in a 281ci engine. I can make 220 deg cams lope and make decent power but most people want longer duration because that's what they think is needed...it's not.

QUOTE]

But, they are radical in a 322 ci engine compared to the 268 advertised in a 357 ci engine. That was all I was saying.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

QUOTE]

But, they are radical in a 322 ci engine compared to the 268 advertised in a 357 ci engine. That was all I was saying.

268 adv would be around mid 220s @.050 and that's very mild for a 358.

Cobra414

Established Member
comp cams in 01 cobra

I am installing comp cams 10600's in my 99 Cobra,I have a 90MM Granatelli maf,Accufab twin 60 throttle body and complete Magnaflow exhaust sytem with Xpipes!my engine currently puts out 294 HP at the rear wheels I want at least 325 HP at the rear wheels ,does anyone know if I can reasonably expect that number ?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I am installing comp cams 10600's in my 99 Cobra,I have a 90MM Granatelli maf,Accufab twin 60 throttle body and complete Magnaflow exhaust sytem with Xpipes!my engine currently puts out 294 HP at the rear wheels I want at least 325 HP at the rear wheels ,does anyone know if I can reasonably expect that number ?

You'll gain about 40rwhp with the 106100s. if youw atn more tq and midrange hp without sacrificing peak power, install them at 106/114. if you want a nasty idle, install them at 106/110.

The last ones I installed at 106/110 idled nasty and made over 360rw.

Cobra414

Established Member
You'll gain about 40rwhp with the 106100s. if youw atn more tq and midrange hp without sacrificing peak power, install them at 106/114. if you want a nasty idle, install them at 106/110.

The last ones I installed at 106/110 idled nasty and made over 360rw.

Thanks for the info and yes I am installing the 106100's!

310pg

Established Member

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
Are the number in your sig up to date with your mods and cams? I assuming there not. So what would be your hp/tq with those cams & mods. Just wondering cause I have the same cams but going into a 97 cobra
Thanks

numbers in my sig was with flowmasters, or-x, jlt rai and a tune. Also the dyno I get my cars tuned on at BBT is a mustang dyno that is a real heartbreaker. Many cars have made high 5's and low 6's and went on to run 9's.

With a drop in compression (built the motor), adding the cams and lt's I gained right at 30hp. A couple notes there though. One was I went from a stock rear gear to 4.10's (effects dyno #'s) and the original tune was done in April (75ish, with low humidity) and the cams/headers pulls were July in Memphis (100 degrees, stupid humidity)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A couple notes there though. One was I went from a stock rear gear to 4.10's (effects dyno #'s) and the original tune was done in April (75ish, with low humidity) and the cams/headers pulls were July in Memphis (100 degrees, stupid humidity)

Temp and humidity aren't a factor once the numbers are "corrected."

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I gained 35rwhp by adding cams to my stock 12yr old motor. No degreeing, just aligned the dots and put it back together. Probably leaving a little on the table but I'm buiding a motor for it so I'll degree them when before I put it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread