Installing Cams in 01 Cobra with stock engine!!

Bama Strength

Established Member
the motor is being pull from my car tomorrow, i talked to the mechanic about putting xe 106100 cams in the car and keep the stock springs. He told me go ahead and do it if i wanted to rebuild the motor again in 20,000 miles. Is he being accurate in telling me that xe 106100 cams will ruin my motor in 20000 miles or basically cause extra wear on my internals? When i questioned his statement he said that it would destroy my pistons and springs first.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
the motor is being pull from my car tomorrow, i talked to the mechanic about putting xe 106100 cams in the car and keep the stock springs. He told me go ahead and do it if i wanted to rebuild the motor again in 20,000 miles. Is he being accurate in telling me that xe 106100 cams will ruin my motor in 20000 miles or basically cause extra wear on my internals? When i questioned his statement he said that it would destroy my pistons and springs first.

I don't know much about those cams, but if the lift is much more over stock then the springs can go into coil bind and cause issues. The only way your pistons will be destroyed is if he screws up the install and slams the valves into the pistons.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Comp cams has been selling those cams for years and their website specifically states springs are not needed. Does your mechanic know more about cams then they do? There are many examples of people running the 106100's on this board as well as Corral and Mach1registry etc. None of them have had an issue.

An extra .035 lift creates zero problems for our valve springs, or any other part of the engine for that matter. This is common sense stuff and applies to almost every car ever made. I highly recommend you find a more intelligent (or honest as it may be) mechanic because there's no telling what this guy is going to hose up if he doesn’t understand this simple concept. If nothing more, the attitude alone would scare me away. He doesn’t sound like the kind of person that will appreciate having is "warning" ignored. Do yourself a favor, get your car out of there and move on.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Comp cams has been selling those cams for years and their website specifically states springs are not needed. Does your mechanic know more about cams then they do? There are many examples of people running the 106100's on this board as well as Corral and Mach1registry etc. None of them have had an issue.

An extra .035 lift creates zero problems for our valve springs, or any other part of the engine for that matter. This is common sense stuff and applies to almost every car ever made. I highly recommend you find a more intelligent (or honest as it may be) mechanic because there's no telling what this guy is going to hose up if he doesn’t understand this simple concept. If nothing more, the attitude alone would scare me away. He doesn’t sound like the kind of person that will appreciate having is "warning" ignored. Do yourself a favor, get your car out of there and move on.

+1 from what I have read and seen, our 4v's do take the correct person and understanding to work on them... I will not just drop mine off anywhere... Good luck!:beer:

Bama Strength

Established Member

I went by today and told him I am going with the cam install and spring kit for peace of mind. So, now that I am buying a spring kit, is there another cam with a bigger lope that will go in my 99 cobra with stock internals? :poke:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
106300. Almost identical duration, agressive lobes, more lift and more lope. Should work great. Hope it all works out for you. Post back some dyno results when it's finished.

trxcobra

Established Member
I went by today and told him I am going with the cam install and spring kit for peace of mind. So, now that I am buying a spring kit, is there another cam with a bigger lope that will go in my 99 cobra with stock internals? :poke:

I agree with the previous post on 106300's, also get Manley or Livernois Springs!!

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I'd go with Livernois, i should post up a video of my car. I had the gopro on today, with my external mic.....but i had it turned off. Didn't find out till after i got home. Dahhh

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

That is total bullsh1t! I would not recommend any mod or part that would result in the engine requiring a rebuild.

Why are they pulling the engine? A cam swap can be done with the engine installed in much less time than it takes with R&Ring the engine.

Those cams are designed to work with he stock springs and I've spec'd numersous sets of cams with even higher lift for use with stock springs. Also, they will nto damage the pistons if they are installed correctly, and that is no different from a set of staock cams. Install any cams incorrectly and you will have piston or valve damage.

My recommendation is to find another mechanic.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
is there a kit with springs, retainers, and camshaft?

does anyone know where i can find a used camshaft?

your engine needs four camshafts

You spent another $500 on parts that weren't needed because your mechanic has no experience with these engines. Now you ahve to pay the extra labor to install them.

"Lope" is caused by overlap, the period in which both the intake and exhaust valves are open. 2V engines require a longer overlap period because they have a low intake valve diameter/bore volume ratio, 4Vs do not suffer from this problem and therefore long overlap periods hurt power. The lopey idles sounds cool but it comes at a costs.

You could go with longer duration cams like the 106400s or you could have your mechanic install the 106100s at a tighter LSA (for more overlap), but since he has no experieience with these engines i would not recommend that option.

Last edited:

skyeking

just sum random cobra fan
Established Member
my 01 cobra started making a tiking sound, after i overreved it, lol, took it to shop and insurance company decided to pay to have the engine yanked to make sure everything was peachy inside. ( i thank my fast talking mechanics) i figured id go ahead and replace the lifters, rockers, and timing with brand new ford racing parts and 106300 comp cams while they were so nicely paying for all the labor. is there any reason you prefer those over the beehive springs made by comp cams for the 106300? its in the shop right now, i just dont have the time to do it myself being as i just sold my other car and i work sloooow. and cause, why not?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Seems as of lately a lot of people are having issues with Comp springs. I'm running Comp springs, but they were put in about 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread