Installing Cams in 01 Cobra with stock engine!!

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
I want to get cams installed in my convertible 01 Cobra (stock engine).

I'm looking into Xtreme XE-R Series, XE262AH-114 Street Performance, with noticeable idle (106300). I was told that I need Retainers (32) and Beehive Valve Springs.

I'm only doing it for the sound.

Any recommendation with this set up. Any advice????

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
:lol:
I want to get cams installed in my convertible 01 Cobra (stock engine).

I'm looking into Xtreme XE-R Series, XE262AH-114 Street Performance, with noticeable idle (106300). I was told that I need Retainers (32) and Beehive Valve Springs.

I'm only doing it for the sound.

Any recommendation with this set up. Any advice????

:dw: A 4v wont lope like you think it will.

Its your money but youre going to spend a lot of money to have cams installed and you wont gain that much HP or sound. :cryying:

2 cam sam

Established Member
Hell if you want sound get a pushrod v8 my 85 Gt sounds awesome at idle with a 550 lift cam but my 2004 Mach 1 will walk it like a dog.

99BlownVert

Established Member
:lol:

:dw: A 4v wont lope like you think it will.

Its your money but youre going to spend a lot of money to have cams installed and you wont gain that much HP or sound. :cryying:

You must not of heard any cammed 4v's. They will lope as good as any push rod motor just depends on the duration of them. I agree the power increase isn't worth the money but everyone loves hearing a cammed 4v. :banana:

Here is my favorite....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IiDLSfpiTY&feature=related

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yeah go ahead encourage the OP to do cams on a stock engine.

I was trying to help not tell the guy to do Stage 3 comp cams on his stock motor.

OP I take back my post, install comp stage 3 cams on your stock engine for the sound.

I swear people just sit at their keyboard waiting to nit pick and contradict every god damn thing that gets posted on here.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Yeah go ahead encourage the OP to do cams on a stock engine.

I was trying to help not tell the guy to do Stage 3 comp cams on his stock motor.

OP I take back my post, install comp stage 3 cams on your stock engine for the sound.

I swear people just sit at their keyboard waiting to nit pick and contradict every god damn thing that gets posted on here.

A lot of people use Stage 3 cams with a stock engine. I don't see the issue? NateV8's car posted above has them in a stock engine with an Eaton.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
A lot of people use Stage 3 cams with a stock engine. I don't see the issue? NateV8's car posted above has them in a stock engine with an Eaton.

:lol::lol:

A "stock engine with an Eaton" is not a stock N/A 4.6l DOHC!!! The gains on that would be substantial because the valves will be held open longer and the supercharger will push a larger volume of air into the cylinder heads.

The gains on a naturally aspirated stock DOHC engine wont be anywhere near as much but atleast it will sound cool. Right?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member

A "stock engine with an Eaton" is not a stock N/A 4.6l DOHC!!! The gains on that would be substantial because the valves will be held open longer and the supercharger will push a larger volume of air into the cylinder heads.

The gains on a naturally aspirated stock DOHC engine wont be anywhere near as much but atleast it will sound cool. Right?

I'm just saying, the OP wants them for the sound..which it is fine for. It will hurt nothing to run those cams on his stock NA engine. You make it sound like it's going to do damage or cause problems, and it won't. Who cares if he does it just for "the sound" ? That's why we all run different mufflers, not for the performance gains first, but for the "sound" that we like best.

pbeechner

Established Member

:lol1: +1111

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'm just saying, the OP wants them for the sound..which it is fine for. It will hurt nothing to run those cams on his stock NA engine. You make it sound like it's going to do damage or cause problems, and it won't. Who cares if he does it just for "the sound" ? That's why we all run different mufflers, not for the performance gains first, but for the "sound" that we like best.

Did I ever say anything about it hurting his motor?

Mufflers dont cost $1000 + labor for installation.

Whats it cost to install and degree cams in a DOHC?

I dont know because I installed and degreed mine myself. I do know that OTC doesnt give the DOHC tools away by any means. The OTC DOHC intake valve spring compressor alone was $150 and that was on sale two years ago.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Did I ever say anything about it hurting his motor?

Mufflers dont cost $1000 + labor for installation.

Whats it cost to install and degree cams in a DOHC?

I dont know because I installed and degreed mine myself. I do know that OTC doesnt give the DOHC tools away by any means. The OTC DOHC intake valve spring compressor alone was $150 and that was on sale two years ago.

So basically what you're saying in your cool story, is that you've had nothing valuable to add to the topic at hand. You first said a 4v won't lope or make any notable sound difference, and then realized you were wrong, so replied saying "not to do it on a stock motor" which then again was brought up that wouldn't hurt anything with a stock motor since the OP is just looking for the cammed sound. I have no idea what it costs to install them at a shop, the last cam and valve spring swap I did I charged 600 for. I've never paid anyone to do anything on my car so I don't have a good idea of going rates for installs.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
So basically what you're saying in your cool story, is that you've had nothing valuable to add to the topic at hand. You first said a 4v won't lope or make any notable sound difference, and then realized you were wrong, so replied saying "not to do it on a stock motor" which then again was brought up that wouldn't hurt anything with a stock motor since the OP is just looking for the cammed sound. I have no idea what it costs to install them at a shop, the last cam and valve spring swap I did I charged 600 for. I've never paid anyone to do anything on my car so I don't have a good idea of going rates for installs.

My cool story, why the insults? You just cant have a discusion with out being a c*cks@cker or what?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
My 230+ @ .050 cams don't lope anywhere near what the 268 advertised cams in my 351C do. It does sound meaner than any 4v I have heard, but still doesn't lope that much. I would never advise someone to put cams in a stock engine, you need compression and cubes to make power with cams. But, it is your money, if you want to blow it, go right ahead.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I would never advise someone to put cams in a stock engine, you need compression and cubes to make power with cams. But, it is your money, if you want to blow it, go right ahead.

Not to get into another argument, but that's weird, because my LS1 made 437rwhp with a 239/242 .649/.609 111LSA camshaft in a STOCK engine. Only things bolted on were a intake, longtubes, ORY, and a catback. I changed nothing internally other than the camshaft and valve springs. Went 11.60 the first pass with a stock 2.73 gear in it. I'd say that's doing alright for a cam swap on a stock engine. Cams in a stock NA 4.6 liter engine may not have as big of gains, but there will be some gain from them, stock compression/cubes or not.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
As with anything, it's all a matter of opinion. I figure it this way, if you're lucky you'll pick up about 50 rwhp with all the bolt ons if everything is done right. That's long tube headers ($750 for cheapo's and over $1000 for good ones), cat delete, catback, tune, cold air intake and ported intake manifold. That's about $2500 to $3000 if you do all the labor yourself. A set of cams without springs in the 220 - 230 duration range pick up 40 - 50 rwhp on the typical stock engine with decent exhaust.

Cams are by far the most expensive mod if paying to install and in line with a nice set of headers if the cams are self installed. People have a hard time grasping this but they're about the best bang for the buck on a stock engine. They make almost as much power as all other mods combined and cost about half as much. It's just a lot to spend on a single modification.

To the OP, if you want to keep cost down, go for cams (like the 106100) with lower lift that dont require springs. You'll still get a nice lope. If you want more lope, install them at 108 ICL.

As suggested earlier, contact Nick at MHS, he can set you up with exactly what you're looking for.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Not to get into another argument, but that's weird, because my LS1 made 437rwhp with a 239/242 .649/.609 111LSA camshaft in a STOCK engine. Only things bolted on were a intake, longtubes, ORY, and a catback. I changed nothing internally other than the camshaft and valve springs. Went 11.60 the first pass with a stock 2.73 gear in it. I'd say that's doing alright for a cam swap on a stock engine. Cams in a stock NA 4.6 liter engine may not have as big of gains, but there will be some gain from them, stock compression/cubes or not.

Silly Chevy guys, an intake, longtubes, ORY, and a catback is NOT stock. I made 350 at the wheels with FR500s running out of fuel on my stock engine. The only things I changed were the FR500 intake, ported heads, longtubes, 39 lb injectors, 90mm MAF, off road x, catback, CAI, and a tune.:rolling:

Besides all that, your LS1 has a few more cubes in it than 280.

Users who are viewing this thread