HPTuners for Coyote platform is coming along very well!

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lol ok guys. Carry on. No wonder its not in the SCT software to disable. Because it shouldnt be. Just because you can does that mean you should? Nope. This is common on BOSS 302 cars too.

Really?

You realize removing the clutch protection is not your problem. You already admitted it is the stock clutch, and that guys with aftermarket clutches don't have any issues (nor do the majority of people with the stock clutch).

So according to you we shouldn't give people access because you had an issue?

What about the people with upgraded clutches that do not want the PCM killing their power? LOL.

You guys kill me sometimes.

I guess I shouldn't put the ability to remove the rev limiter either, because over revving the stock engine would likely cause a failure. :lol:

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Really?

You realize removing the clutch protection is not your problem. You already admitted it is the stock clutch, and that guys with aftermarket clutches don't have any issues (nor do the majority of people with the stock clutch).

So according to you we shouldn't give people access because you had an issue?

What about the people with upgraded clutches that do not want the PCM killing their power? LOL.

You guys kill me sometimes.

Exactly. I have a T56 and twin disk in my car but still have to deal with the computer trying to protect my clutch. It's a lame issue that really shouldn't even be an issue. Rumor mill said SCT was supposed to be releasing the access to these parameters but I'm not holding my breath.

I just patiently wait for HPTuners to come back into my life. I've missed it

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Exactly. I have a T56 and twin disk in my car but still have to deal with the computer trying to protect my clutch. It's a lame issue that really shouldn't even be an issue. Rumor mill said SCT was supposed to be releasing the access to these parameters but I'm not holding my breath.

I just patiently wait for HPTuners to come back into my life. I've missed it

Thank you. We are closer to releasing a BETA every day.

The beauty of it is you don't have to disable it if you don't want to. You can try it with and without the clutch protection on at the track to see if you pick up anything.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Thank you. We are closer to releasing a BETA every day.

The beauty of it is you don't have to disable it if you don't want to. You can try it with and without the clutch protection on at the track to see if you pick up anything.

Do ya'll have a mailing list for someone interested in the beta?

Also, did you see my question about the 02 transport function? SCT released an update but I didn't see those tables included so it's just one more reason to go with HPT when it's released if you guys will in fact give access to it.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do ya'll have a mailing list for someone interested in the beta?

Also, did you see my question about the 02 transport function? SCT released an update but I didn't see those tables included so it's just one more reason to go with HPT when it's released if you guys will in fact give access to it.

Email [email protected] to get on the mailing list.

I have the 02 transport delay functions on my to do list. I haven't found it yet, but haven't been looking for it exclusively. I am sure it will not be a problem.

If there are other things you would like added, please let me know.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Email [email protected] to get on the mailing list.

I have the 02 transport delay functions on my to do list. I haven't found it yet, but haven't been looking for it exclusively. I am sure it will not be a problem.

If there are other things you would like added, please let me know.

Excellent!

Email sent.

Thanks Eric :beer:

Shaun@AED

As far as I know Clutch Protection has not yet been added to SCT calibrator access as it is not an easy On/Off switch as you can see above. It may also be a liability as I have had customers destroy their clutches within days of disabling clutch protection in GT500's.

In general the more heat you are allowed to give the clutch, the easier/faster it will boil the fluid resulting in the clutch sticking to the floor. My drag tune does allow more power to get to the ground as it disables all the 'nannies' that keep the car Rubber side down.

FYI, there are dozens of other ways Ford protects their hardware from *warrany* issues. This is one of those pieces to the puzzle, but it is not the key to fast WOT shifts. It's for those guys that like to drop the hammer at 6K RPM on launch.

It's also been requested to be added to SCT Calibrator level (several times over the past 2 years). Last I heard was to expect this and other tables sometime this year.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I would tell your GT500 customers they need to learn how to drive their cars instead of complaining that the computer allowed them to destroy their clutch.

Many manual transmission cars exist on the market and function just fine without the obnoxious computer overrides as seen in the SCT/mustang world.

In fact, "dropping the hammer at 6k" is the only way I've found to get around the clutch protection issue. If I slip the clutch at all, the computer takes over and forcibly closed my throttle regardless of my right foot input. I have to horsewhip and "beat" on the car to avoid the clutch protection from kicking in rather than slipping the clutch to ease the shock on the drivetrain Ironic? Yes, I think so.

For me, it is less of an issue at the track and more an issue on the street since I don't have the same level of traction and would like the option to slip the clutch in order to stop the tires from going up in smoke and costing me a street race.

Hell, I drove my stock clutch corvette to over 200 dragstrip passes, countless 1.5 and 1.4 60 fts and a multitude of 10 second passes without the computer trying to protect the clutch and it looked great when I finally pulled it out in favor of a twin disk unit.

The option to turn it off should be readily available for anyone who purchases the software, not those select few with Lund tunes or Lund-derived tunes. Like Eric said, just because it is accessible, doesn't mean people will or need to turn it off.

03Steve

Established Member
Lol ok guys. Carry on. No wonder its not in the SCT software to disable. Because it shouldnt be. Just because you can does that mean you should? Nope. This is common on BOSS 302 cars too.

I have access to firing order, transmission solenoid truth table, and can set the returnless fuel pump derivative gain to the moon. I don't need to do any of these things conventionally. I would rather be able to see these items and decide for myself whether or not to adjust them. I prefer the software company to provide more access than typically needed, instead of being a nanny in the name of protection.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have access to firing order, transmission solenoid truth table, and can set the returnless fuel pump derivative gain to the moon. I don't need to do any of these things conventionally. I would rather be able to see these items and decide for myself whether or not to adjust them. I prefer the software company to provide more access than typically needed, instead of being a nanny in the name of protection.

This is the decision I have to make for every parameter that gets put in the software. There are tons of things that I'm confident no one would every have a reason to change, so I leave that out. I try to determine what someone might have a need to change. More that likely I may miss some things, but If someone requests it I add it in.

The real issue for me is I have to maintain the parameters across every operating system we support. So if it is added to one OS ID (aka Strategy), then I have to define it for all the others that supports that parameter.

Work load grows exponentially with everything that gets added.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member

Im with you guys. Being able to do it is great. But like I said will may cause issues that will make your customers not happy.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
With all the different strategy codes spread across the 2011-2014 mustang world, I can imagine the huge headache it would be to update every single one of them.

If I may, I would suggest starting with code BLV3 as I hear it's pretty popular! :banana:

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I have a question for you Eric. I have a 13 A6 Hellion twin car. I get an annoying throttle close when I drop the hammer from say a 60 role. The car literally turns off for about 2 seconds. Then, my last time at the track, it ran a 10.29.. So I decide to turn up the boost to 12psi and make one final stab at a 9 second pass. Sure enough, at the very top of 1st gear, BAM...nothing...throttle closed. Is this some sort of clutch protection that is going on with my car?

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a question for you Eric. I have a 13 A6 Hellion twin car. I get an annoying throttle close when I drop the hammer from say a 60 role. The car literally turns off for about 2 seconds. Then, my last time at the track, it ran a 10.29.. So I decide to turn up the boost to 12psi and make one final stab at a 9 second pass. Sure enough, at the very top of 1st gear, BAM...nothing...throttle closed. Is this some sort of clutch protection that is going on with my car?

That sounds like it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
That sounds like it.

I don't think clutch protection is going to be in the strategy of a car that came equipped with an automatic transmission from the factory.

To me, that possibly sounds like the maf has been pegged and the car is trying to protect itself by closing the throttle. Perhaps the maf needs to be rescaled.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Back in the day, "6 speed" was good enough to know it was a manual trans car. lol Now damn near all the autos are 6 speeds.. haha

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Getting closer....

HPTFord.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread