HPTuners for Coyote platform is coming along very well!

Shaun@AED

Some of the best tuners I know started out as SCT Pro Racer users. Anyone ever heard of Jon Lund? :banana:

Didn't Ken B. hook Jon up with his first Pro-Racer Package?
My how things have changed :dancenana:

Makes me wonder who in this thread will be the next 'Big Name'.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
Haltech had a pretty interesting display at PRI on a coyote engine.
They have simplified the fueling for TiVCT changes and it could be a real winner IMO.

The Haltech system for the Coyote is nowhere close to being ready for release and no real time table either. Would be a nice setup if it was ready. :shrug:

As someone who has been remotely tuning heavily modified Fords for years, I strongly agree with that too, but it is a bit irrelevant to this thread.

Just because you have the HPT hardware and software does not mean you MUST tune your car yourself. I have been remotely tuning for others that use HPTuners for a few years. Having a full blown tuning software with you when you go to the track has advantages if you have a tuner is willing to educate you on what is and is not safe for you to change.

No remote tuner is available 100% of the time and in that case it is beneficial to be able to make adjustments yourself.

For those that think it would be crazy to try and tune your own car, you could be right. It really depends on the individual, tuning isn't for everyone. For those that would like to do it yourself, start off on a mostly stock car and take your time. Some of the best tuners I know started out as SCT Pro Racer users. Anyone ever heard of Jon Lund? :banana:

Everyone starts out tuning somewhere. With out software it will be easier than ever and it won't require going to some tuning class just to learn a basic description of what the parameters do. It will be all included in the package.

+1 on this. Having known Eric for a long time, he knows his shit and has been in the game a long time. Definitely excited to see the HPtuners option when it's done.

Still scratching my head how SCT emerged as the popular tuning option. For those of us doing this a long time, anyone remember Autologic and Mike Wesley? Ever heard of Diablosport? :dw:

Lastly, from what I remember Rick@Amazon used to tune Lund's cars back in the day.

Nice work Eric!! :beer:

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

The Haltech system for the Coyote is nowhere close to being ready for release and no real time table either. Would be a nice setup if it was ready. :shrug:

I asked about it at PRI and they were still working on the fueling vs Cam timing tables. I want to say they told me end of 1st quarter for release? I don't know if that is correct though.

Keep us posted Eric.
I think it's clear we will all be watching what HP comes out with great interest.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
I asked about it at PRI and they were still working on the fueling vs Cam timing tables. I want to say they told me end of 1st quarter for release? I don't know if that is correct though.

Yeah, they still have a good amount of work to do. From what we are trying to do, getting it by the 1st quarter is optimistic but we will see. Would love to run the Haltech system, but it's still too early. They are excited to be in this market though! :banana:

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Keep us posted Eric.
I think it's clear we will all be watching what HP comes out with great interest.

I will. I appreciate the inputs AND criticisms. We are working to make the software the best in the business. A lot of good things are coming.

RE: Fueling vs. Cam timing tables... did you know the Australian Ford vehicles that have the 5.0L Coyote are ran with a 1024K Spanish Oak processor?

From what I understand, the exhaust cam is locked out and only the intake cam is controlled by the PCM (using the standard VCT controls that the 3V 4.6L used.)

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Clutch Protection? Yes

Clutch.JPG

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When the CP is disabled or dumbed down with the SCT tunes, thats where you get your sticky clutch pedal where it sticks to the floor on post 7k rpm shifts. Better leave that alone.

Huh? They do not have the clutch protection parameters the last time I checked.

Last edited:

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member

ok man. Ask Shaun. It was not part of his Drag tunes, but it was active in the performance tunes. I raced a 2011 GT of my friends last year while he was hurt. Loaded the drag tune and could not get a clean pass shifting at 7200. The clutch would stick to the floor every time, snapping back only once you let off almost breaking my shin. Then loaded the performance tune and could sing that car to 7300 without a hint of clutch issues. He called shaun, and Shaun told him about the clutch protection being pulled back or something in the drag tune. Shaun@AED can explain. But it was there and it was real. The car would only shift around 6800 or less cleanly. Past that and it was pedal sticking city. At the track we also removed the helper spring on the clutch and completely sucked out and cycled in Dot 4 sync fluid into the system. No change. Added the JHR clutch line and still no change at the track the next weekend. Only the performance tune would work. Anyway, Ill let him explain. I was there when he talked to him about it. That was like 2 years ago IIRC.

Last edited:

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ok man. Ask Shaun. It was not part of his Drag tunes, but it was active in the performance tunes. I raced a 2011 GT of my friends last year while he was hurt. Loaded the drag tune and could not get a clean pass shifting at 7200. The clutch would stick to the floor every time, snapping back only once you let off almost breaking my shin. Then loaded the performance tune and could sing that car to 7300 without a hint of clutch issues. He called shaun, and Shaun told him about the clutch protection being pulled back or something in the drag tune. Shaun@AED can explain. But it was there and it was real. The car would only shift around 6800 or less cleanly. Past that and it was pedal sticking city. At the track we also removed the helper spring on the clutch and completely sucked out and cycled in Dot 4 sync fluid into the system. No change. Added the JHR clutch line and still no change at the track the next weekend. Only the performance tune would work. Anyway, Ill let him explain. I was there when he talked to him about it. That was like 2 years ago IIRC.

The PCM can't make the clutch stick to the floor. The clutch protection only kills engine torque to protect the clutch during hard shifts, and launch.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Clutch Protection? Yes

Clutch.JPG

Outstanding! :beer: :rockon:

When the CP is disabled or dumbed down with the SCT tunes, thats where you get your sticky clutch pedal where it sticks to the floor on post 7k rpm shifts. Better leave that alone.

Exactly. Clutch protection is not accessible in the SCT software for the average user. I grabbed the latest update as I heard rumor of it being released finally, but still nothing.

The PCM can't make the clutch stick to the floor. The clutch protection only kills engine torque to protect the clutch during hard shifts, and launch.

Correct.

Eric any update with the 02 transport delay tables?

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member

You ever heard of this crazy thing called cause and effect? You never changed something in tuning that had an effect on anything else??? I know that the PCM doesnt MAKE the clutch pedal stick to the floor. But whatever it doesnt do when clutch protection is disabled and you try to shift over 7k rpm is having an effect on its performance with the stock clutch. This is FACT.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
:whine:
You ever heard of this crazy thing called cause and effect? You never changed something in tuning that had an effect on anything else??? I know that the PCM doesnt MAKE the clutch pedal stick to the floor. But whatever it doesnt do when clutch protection is disabled and you try to shift over 7k rpm is having an effect on its performance with the stock clutch. This is FACT.

Shaun already posted that all his tunes have it disabled. I dint doubt you experienced this issue, but from what I gather you were the only one.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
:whine:

Shaun already posted that all his tunes have it disabled. I dint doubt you experienced this issue, but from what I gather you were the only one.

This is a very common issue. There is a sticky about it. People think it's the pedal design, fluid boiling, too small clutch line, helper spring and so on. I tried all those fixes and none worked. There are plenty of people on here that went through this. The only real fix is an aftermarket clutch. But that clutch protection being off on his drag tune e's back in the day would make it easier for it to happen with the stock clutch on a fairly stock car.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
This is a very common issue. There is a sticky about it. People think it's the pedal design, fluid boiling, too small clutch line, helper spring and so on. I tried all those fixes and none worked. There are plenty of people on here that went through this. The only real fix is an aftermarket clutch. But that clutch protection being off on his drag tune e's back in the day would make it easier for it to happen with the stock clutch on a fairly stock car.

I would like to say that its not as common as you think. My car has the stock clutch, fluid, clutch line, shifter and helper spring. Not once I had an issue shifting. 7800rpm n/a and around 7400 with the blower.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No reason to bring the "sky is falling" "my clutch sucks" into this thread about HPTuners coming to the coyote market.

There are plenty of threads about it, no reason to muddy up this one.

Users who are viewing this thread