How far can a new F150 Lightning pull a 6000lb travel trailer?

sleek98

Established Member
They had another trip they took with this truck (TFL) coming back from Detroit I think and driving to Denver. If I remember right, one of the fast chargers was $.47/kwh.

If those prices become the norm, it will be even less attractive unless you solely charge at home. But I'm sure they will start hitting people for charging during peak hours. My local power company sent me an email last year that said something like "schedule your electric car charging hours based on our schedule and save $50 on your next bill."

Will really depend on how much road tripping you do. 47 cents is high, but compared to some places in CA where peak power is in the 50 range its not horrible. Compared to our old lake house where it was 8 cents that's crazy.

I got a survey from our power company, it sounds like Missouri power commission wants to put everyone on a time of use plan. Our poco already has it as an option but its just over 30 cents per kwh between 4-8pm m-f. Then the rest of the time you pay 9 cents instead of 10 cents per kwh. I cant think of why ANYONE would choose that.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Will really depend on how much road tripping you do. 47 cents is high, but compared to some places in CA where peak power is in the 50 range its not horrible. Compared to our old lake house where it was 8 cents that's crazy.

I got a survey from our power company, it sounds like Missouri power commission wants to put everyone on a time of use plan. Our poco already has it as an option but its just over 30 cents per kwh between 4-8pm m-f. Then the rest of the time you pay 9 cents instead of 10 cents per kwh. I cant think of why ANYONE would choose that.
Over $.50 per ****ing KWH????

That's worse than Germany right now. They are at like $.35 USD.

Outrageous. I was pissed when they bumped us from .119 to .129.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

The Germans are bankrupting the utilities for that mandatory low rate.

sleek98

Established Member
Looks like some areas are up to 65 cents for peak time. Last time I looked I could have swore it was 52-53 cents.

Attachments

• 111814CB-7C47-49F8-9E6C-AAFA6D97E5F9.png
    111814CB-7C47-49F8-9E6C-AAFA6D97E5F9.png
    766.2 KB · Views: 51

Rare40th

Established Member
Their trip was from Longmont to Colorado Springs. I'm not familiar with that area but I would imaging there are some hills to climb. They also state that the elevation increased 1000ft during their trip.
View attachment 1753731

The power plug is on the drivers side front fender so you can charge without unhooking the trailer but you'll probably end up blocking the entire parking lot doing so.

I'm pretty familiar with this route. The elevation increase is very subtle, not a lot of ups and downs. And they missed a bunch of traffic, which seems unusual as i-25 from Thornton through Denver and again around the AFB is miserable throughout the day

CLN 6R

Established Member
Makes a guy wonder wtf he was on about then if he actually tows...
What are you talking about? I said most people with trucks around here don’t tow…. And most likely people buying EV trucks won’t tow, I never said I didn’t tow….

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Makes a guy wonder wtf he was on about then if he actually tows...

Does hauling 2 grandpa farm quads around in an enclosed trailer weighing 4000 lbs at absolute max really count as towing? lol

You could get that work done in a '88 long bed Chevy pick up and leave the trailer at home.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I know of a charger in CA that has a rate of $0.58/kWh. On an absolute energy basis, that's more expensive than diesel fuel (1 Gal No. 2 = ~41kWh).

Taking into account 30% efficiency of a diesel engine that would be $7.13/gal. And I'm assuming the charging and operation of the EV is 100% efficient, which it isn't.

I said it a while back, a more aggressive plug in version of the PowerBoost F-150 would have the best capabilities on the market.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve toyed with the thought of grabbing a Lightning as a daily driver. Still have the Mustang, and we’d keep the gas f150 for trips and any light hauling.

I like the portable generator aspect of the Lightning, but not sure I’d make the money back in gas savings when the trucks aren’t cheap to get into. Not to mention I could get a powerboost f150 that has the same benefits.

Gas prices can eat my ass.

Users who are viewing this thread