How far can a new F150 Lightning pull a 6000lb travel trailer?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
now imagine if they were towing in cold CO weather!

are they planning on making real work trucks EV as well? as in, ALL trucks eventually electric? 6000lbs isnt that much.... you can easily get there towing a car on a trailer. isnt 7000lbs the goal for most CUV/SUVs?

so basically this thing is a giant family sedan with a huge trunk to haul family stuff.

lol at filling the bed with a generator and diesel fuel tank

6000lbs is only part of the story - once again - that thing is GIANT wind drag and that's hell on any vehicle.

My truck gets right at 20mpg over 600 miles from FL to NC
Pulling a small utility trailer with the wire mesh tailgate - empty or ATV ~14mpg
Same trailer with my cousins SxS, backed onto the trailer turning the roof into a parachute - 9mpg.

My mustang on a steel, open trailer ~5k lbs - ~15mpg

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hell, I towed 11K lbs of trailer from Washington State to Maine with a 01 F250 with the 6.8L V10 and averaged 9 mpg for the 3,200 mile trip. The truck empty is 7,800 lbs. Never had to stop to charge the battery either...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
6000lbs is only part of the story - once again - that thing is GIANT wind drag and that's hell on any vehicle.

Pulling a small utility trailer with the wire mesh tailgate - empty or ATV ~14mpg
Same trailer with my cousins SxS, backed onto the trailer turning the roof into a parachute - 9mpg.

My mustang on a steel, open trailer ~5k lbs - ~15mpg

Oh i agree. I towed a big travel trailer with my suburban up to yosemite and it was hell on mpg…..but i made it lol. And it was a long ass drive as it was. Cant imagine having to stop and hang out for a couple hours.

And he got lucky with that charging station. Theyre not always off to the side in the parking lot. walmart loves to put them right up front. Youd have to unhitch the trailer or block the whole aisle. Way too much hassle. Now imagine when theres other people doing the same thing…lol. Ive been to the gas station when theres multiple trucks pulling boats, campers, atvs etc. all at the gas station at the same time. I hope theyre planning building massive charging stations with 50 chargers when the whole world goes EV! But probably not… maybe ten

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There is no way the gas stations on the interstate system can afford to install the number of fast chargers needed for an EV world. Especially out West.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I averaged 6.7 MPG towing my ~21k pound toy hauler with my 2013 F350 DRW from VA to western CO. Went I-70 from St Louis to Grand Junction. Wound up trading truck for a 2020 F450 while out there, averaged 7.4 MPG back but went up through Steamboat Springs and into Wyoming to pick up I-80. Not that Rabbit Ears pass is any less strenuous than Ike/Vail. Not a chance in hell I could make even a dent in a trip like that in an electric anything.

Not to mention it’s a 25+ mile round trip for me to go from my house to….. anywhere. Half an hour round trip to the grocery store. An hour round trip to the kids’ school. And in between those two for most anything else. Most of America lives this way and EV has a real long way to go before it’s even a thought here. I guess cities with already overtaxed electrical grids will get to enjoy the early adoption of all this crap. Good thing we aren’t teetering on the edge of a massive energy crisis or anything.

Something else interesting to note - Flying J/Pilot/Loves all across the country are 30-40 cents higher on diesel than any surrounding stations on the same exits. Kinda odd.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Plug in hybrid. Why are we skipping this step. I would love to have this truck and rely on the electric motor only for most of my driving like back and forth to work and going on our short trips and then using the gas engine when load dictates or to increase range for longer trips.
Watch the video where they take it off road. They were scraping on a small rock in the first five minutes. There needs to be a version with a taller stance either through a lift or air bags.

Yep this puzzles me as well. Hybrids would be the way to go

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I've never seen a charger at a gas station. Although there's a new Buc-ee's in St. Augustine, FL (where I live) It's got 104 gas pumps...maybe it's got charging. Not sure.
Three's another new Buc-ee's in Daytona Beach as well...60 miles south of St. Augustine. Probably illegal to build Buc-ee's in most blue states. Evil gas stations.

Wa Wa has them in the back of the store, away from the pumps

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
There is no way the gas stations on the interstate system can afford to install the number of fast chargers needed for an EV world. Especially out West.

That's EXACTLY WHY the global radicals in charge have decided that you, me, the rest of America, and the ones to come for generations, must pay for these lies and self-tyranny.

If American capitalism and common sense drove the EV market, it'd be god damn near dead because no mfr would be making/selling them, and no people could afford them.

Those are a couple of the big lies to this whole cluster****.
There are a lot more.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You will not see EV charging stations at gas stations. With the risk of an EV fire and the difficulty of putting that fire out, they can not let that kind of volatility anywhere near gas pumps. Think of the real estate needed to supply a charging station for the masses just off the Interstate. I see a lot of "Eminent Domain" cases coming up so the State can "provide" the property for the EV charging stations.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I averaged 6.7 MPG towing my ~21k pound toy hauler with my 2013 F350 DRW from VA to western CO. Went I-70 from St Louis to Grand Junction. Wound up trading truck for a 2020 F450 while out there, averaged 7.4 MPG back but went up through Steamboat Springs and into Wyoming to pick up I-80. Not that Rabbit Ears pass is any less strenuous than Ike/Vail. Not a chance in hell I could make even a dent in a trip like that in an electric anything.

Not to mention it’s a 25+ mile round trip for me to go from my house to….. anywhere. Half an hour round trip to the grocery store. An hour round trip to the kids’ school. And in between those two for most anything else. Most of America lives this way and EV has a real long way to go before it’s even a thought here. I guess cities with already overtaxed electrical grids will get to enjoy the early adoption of all this crap. Good thing we aren’t teetering on the edge of a massive energy crisis or anything.

Something else interesting to note - Flying J/Pilot/Loves all across the country are 30-40 cents higher on diesel than any surrounding stations on the same exits. Kinda odd.

Truck stops can charge more because they have a captive market. It's not like a trucker is going to squeeze his road tractor in at the BP pumps next door.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Truck stops can charge more because they have a captive market. It's not like a trucker is going to squeeze his road tractor in at the BP pumps next door.

Don't tempt fate as I seen that happen back in 1999 with disasterous results on almost knocking over the island roof!!!!! All because said trucker thought getting a 15 cent a gallon savings was worth it, but his insurance instead had to pay $20,000 in damages and replacements

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I get it, but I’ve never seen that sort of price disparity in the past

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Jimmy Haslam has got to make up the lost money he paid Deshaun rapist Watson.

beau t

Established Member

2019- Diamond C PSA135L 12'x83″ General Utility Trailer, Diamond C ...

when your in the market for another trailer find 1 with a folding ramp it helps a little, this is like what i bought to drag my 4 wheelers around, i only see about 1MPG difference but mine gets awful mileage to start with lol.

Users who are viewing this thread