How far can a new F150 Lightning pull a 6000lb travel trailer?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
What exactly is the point of an EV truck if it cant even tow for much?

Because you're not going to have an alternative option. If you're lucky they'll still offer hybrid pickups.

That sounds pretty city to me

I’m took my trash to the dump today in my F450. Totally just trying to look cool, I should probably cut my dick off and go trade it on a EV while I’m at it

And I saw a guy with two trash cans ratchet strapped to his Miata at the dump, so clearly there's no excuse to have a truck.

I notice city boys always say "no one needs a truck" but are the first ones to call you up when they need to move, haul building supplies, haul a car, etc... Just have a friend with a truck!

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Plug in hybrid. Why are we skipping this step. I would love to have this truck and rely on the electric motor only for most of my driving like back and forth to work and going on our short trips and then using the gas engine when load dictates or to increase range for longer trips.
Watch the video where they take it off road. They were scraping on a small rock in the first five minutes. There needs to be a version with a taller stance either through a lift or air bags.

efurlong

Established Member
How long does it take to fully charge a Lightning - from zero to full? Not half of three quarters.
I've been led to believe:
1. At home: around eight hours with a proper charger.
2. At a charging station such as in this video: around two hours.
Is that accurate?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Does the track have a charger?

There's one about 10 miles from the track where I could top off before continuing on there. The problem will be leaving the track, topping up to about 80%, then making it the 70 miles back home. Range anxiety will be a definite issue.

Test said 6,000 pounds, does your trailer weigh 500 pounds?

Ba dum…

I think it's around 3500, but it's not my setup. We'd probably have the trailer loaded to around 9,000 pounds.

How long does it take to fully charge a Lightning - from zero to full? Not half of three quarters.
I've been led to believe:
1. At home: around eight hours with a proper charger.
2. At a charging station such as in this video: around two hours.
Is that accurate?

I was told it should take about 45 min to go from 10% to 80% on a proper DC fast charger, but I have never done that test.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I wonder which generator company will be first to market with a product aimed/optimized at the EV truck market?

It would need the following:

Good mount/location
Hidden wire run and splice into factory charge system
Highly efficient engine
Oversized fuel tank
Start/stop from inside cab
Compact packaging
Charging rate just good enough to offset worst case battery discharge rate.

Last edited:

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
The YouTuber’s KYD keep your daydream test one on their latest episode. It actually performed rather good. It pulled their 32 foot Airstream with no problem.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The YouTuber’s KYD keep your daydream test one on their latest episode. It actually performed rather good. It pulled their 32 foot Airstream with no problem.

Not really. About 100 miles of range driving 55, and said they wouldn't go over 65.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
seems that 6k lb trailer is a worst case scenario thing, I imagine the wind resistance is worse than the weight.

anyone buying an electric truck to pull something like that must be a glutton for punishment.

efurlong

Established Member
"I was told it should take about 45 min to go from 10% to 80% on a proper DC fast charger, but I have never done that test"
I'm genuinely interested in my original question. How long does it take to fully charge from zero to full. Not from 10% to 80%.
100% of the time when I fill my 36 gallon gas tank. I never ever only fill it to 80%. BTW...it take me maybe 5 - 10 minuets from almost empty to a beautiful 36 gallon fill up.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I'm sure it handled it well.

seems that 6k lb trailer is a worst case scenario thing, I imagine the wind resistance is worse than the weight.

anyone buying an electric truck to pull something like that must be a glutton for punishment.

Wind resistance is what kills it, and the speeds they were running play a huge factor.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
"I was told it should take about 45 min to go from 10% to 80% on a proper DC fast charger, but I have never done that test"
I'm genuinely interested in my original question. How long does it take to fully charge from zero to full. Not from 10% to 80%.
100% of the time I fill my 36 gallon gas tank when I need fuel. I never ever only fill it to 80%. BTW...it take me maybe 5 - 10 minuets from almost empty to a beautiful 36 gallon fill up.

You'll really only ever top it off at home, or if you have a charger at work. The charge rate is much slower during that last 20% to help preserve the battery. For practical reasons you will never top off to 100% while on a day trip.

efurlong

Established Member
I really do appreciate your response.
But...how long would it take from near empty to 100% full charge.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I really do appreciate your response.
But...how long would it take from near empty to 100% full charge.

kind of a loaded question

first - it basically never truly goes to empty or 100% because it's bad for the battery. I believe a "full" charge is in the 80-90 % range while empty is around 10%

which charger are you using? The faster charges will get you close much quicker but those last few % will take longer as mentioned.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You'll really only ever top it off at home, or if you have a charger at work. The charge rate is much slower during that last 20% to help preserve the battery. For practical reasons you will never top off to 100% while on a day trip.
Ford needs to take a page from Kia/Hyundai and increase the voltage system in their EVs. The EV6/Ioniq 5 both have an 800V system that allows them to charge from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes. Unlike the Mach-E that uses a 400V system and under the same conditions, will take 38 min for the standard pack and 48 min for the extended pack.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ford needs to take a page from Kia/Hyundai and increase the voltage system in their EVs. The EV6/Ioniq 5 both have an 800V system that allows them to charge from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes. Unlike the Mach-E that uses a 400V system and under the same conditions, will take 38 min for the standard pack and 48 min for the extended pack.

I would love an explanation of why they are on this system compared to them and Tesla.

Users who are viewing this thread