Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I had a few issues early on... But the car has been great since a I moved my seat closer. I know it sounds silly, but since its been perfect. I mean I even trust it to powershift at 7500.... Have not missed one gear since moving my seat up...

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
I saw on another forum there was a TSB going on, where they replaced the shifter with one that has more lateral spacing. It was suppose to help early 2013 and older Bosses. I am assuiming if this is true the newer 2013 Bosses are fine. Has any one heard of this? It replaced part number CR3Z-7910-A. Maybe i wont need to get a new MGW shifter.

thanks

Grant808

Established Member
I saw on another forum there was a TSB going on, where they replaced the shifter with one that has more lateral spacing. It was suppose to help early 2013 and older Bosses. I am assuiming if this is true the newer 2013 Bosses are fine. Has any one heard of this? It replaced part number CR3Z-7910-A. Maybe i wont need to get a new MGW shifter.

thanks

Maybe it's the shifter in the Brembo GT. I've told a few people that they're different, and that I think the GT shifter is better. I have a 401A Brembo car, so I don't know if it's different from the base GT.

86Fbody

Established Member

thanks

You may not need to get an MGW, but after watching the install video and seeing how stout it is compared to the stock shifter and bracket you have to want one anyway, right?

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
You may not need to get an MGW, but after watching the install video and seeing how stout it is compared to the stock shifter and bracket you have to want one anyway, right?

I got to check out the video, still havent researched much on it but everyone rants and raves about it.

Splatter

Established Member
After getting a new set of syncros installed, better tranny oil and a MGW shifter all my crunching problems went away.

300km of hard driving on a track day and every shift went well. Looks like no need for the Tremec so far!!

Cheers

86Fbody

Established Member
After getting a new set of syncros installed, better tranny oil and a MGW shifter all my crunching problems went away.

300km of hard driving on a track day and every shift went well. Looks like no need for the Tremec so far!!

Cheers

Nice, did you get the tranny blue printed or just new synchros.

Splatter

Established Member
Tried to find some one to blue print them but no luck. I asked if Ford would try to get a US made set of syncros, but no real way of knowing in the end.

The good part is so far its working like it should!!

Fat Boss

Established Member
25,000 miles update: Still works great. Changed the oil again at 25k and it was perfect- not a single little flake of anything drained out with the oil. I put MTL in this time and didn't notice anything different. Heading to Las Vegas next week with Team Shelby for the annual Bash with two open track days at Spring Mtn.

Unrealford

Established Member
25,000 miles update: Still works great. Changed the oil again at 25k and it was perfect- not a single little flake of anything drained out with the oil. I put MTL in this time and didn't notice anything different. Heading to Las Vegas next week with Team Shelby for the annual Bash with two open track days at Spring Mtn.

Thanks for the update,

Tyler72

Established Member
So how's it doing after replacing the fluid again? I just bought a LS Boss 302 with 1900 miles on it. So far I have had no issues with grinding at all. I have missed third twice (just driving normal, so not a problem) but when it happened it felt to me like it was lack of experience with the car (aka, my fault lol) or its just the shifter mechanism. I have plans to replace the stock shifter with a MGW, but I'm probably just going to leave it alone for a while.

Unrealford

Established Member
So how's it doing after replacing the fluid again? I just bought a LS Boss 302 with 1900 miles on it. So far I have had no issues with grinding at all. I have missed third twice (just driving normal, so not a problem) but when it happened it felt to me like it was lack of experience with the car (aka, my fault lol) or its just the shifter mechanism. I have plans to replace the stock shifter with a MGW, but I'm probably just going to leave it alone for a while.

Seriously, change it to MGW, before you start missing third and cause any issues.

May93

Established Member
I had shifting issues with my GT immediately after purchasing it. Ford changed the fluid and I added a Barton shifter. Helped a little but the problem is the cheap material used to make the transmission internals.

86Fbody

Established Member
Where is the proof that these trans's are cheaply made, other then the countless people that say they have had issues? Maybe I should preface that question by saying that I don't mean to offend anyone who has had issues, as I had experienced issues when I first started driving the car. However, where is the documentation that the MT82 is cheap? Also I have heard talk that the TR6060 also had various issues, where is that documentation?

12C/OBoss

Established Member
I had shift lock out on my car stock and with less than 1,000 miles. Ford replaced the fluid and it was better...till I did the tune. I had shift lockout on a regular basis when shifting into 3rd or 4th at approx 8200 +++RPM. After the blower it was fine as we limited RPM to 7200. As a matter of fact I beat the hell out of that box and clutch for 2000 miles and it was great! I truly believe the issues with the lock out are entirely RPM related

04nccobra

Established Member
I had shifting issues with my GT immediately after purchasing it. Ford changed the fluid and I added a Barton shifter. Helped a little but the problem is the cheap material used to make the transmission internals.

It's sad to see these same problems are happening with the Boss, Ford should have put a solid transmission behind this car knowing what it was intended for. I too had a 12 GT that I had MT82 issues with, finally got tired of it and sold the car. IMO modifying factory pieces with aftermarket offerings like a clutch, shifter, or fluids were not the answer as all it would do is give Ford the reason to deny a future warranty. I think it's also obvious that Ford doesn't have an answer as there are far too many repair or replacement failed attempts.

Splatter

Established Member
I had my 5th gear syncro go at about 5000km, before that had constant annoying lockouts at anywhere close to full load shifts. Put in new complete set of syncros in and added a MW shifter with different oil. Not had a single problem since. Still love the car but Ford should have done the job right from the start. Strongly recommend you change the shifter on these cars!

Users who are viewing this thread