Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
Car just rolled 5k over the weekend... 5th gear was getting kind of notchy (on a 600 mile roadtrip)... by the time we got home I had to double clutch to get into 5th gear without it grinding... took in to the dealer and got told the 5th gear synchro was gone and metal from it had gouged up other gears and the countershaft... parts on are backorder for 2-3 weeks so the SM is trying to see if they can get authorization to replace the entire transmission... no overly hard driving, no drag launches, just some spirited 1-4 runs... for only 5k miles I'm very glad I have warranty coverage!

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Doubt the skip-shift solenoid is the culprit, however it only takes about 2 minutes to unplug it. Mine has been disabled since day one. I don't think that the '13's have the skip-shift feature.
I think the key here is addressing the possible contributors, prior to having a trans damaging episode. Once the damage is done, no mods will reverse it.

Where is the plug for this?

Thanks

Mike

legos_mustang

Established Member
I only have about 1K miles on the car (none on the track) and have had a slight grinding going from 2nd to 3rd (any RPM) and then I have lockout issues above 6K. I've got the MGW shifter waiting to be installed along with Redline MTL. The transmission is really the reason I will keep the car stock uniil the warrenty expires. Despite her faults, she's still the best and funnest car I've ever owned. I wish someone had a rebuild kit or stronger internals that you could get for the transmission because overall, I like the gearing and feel too.

Now I've just got to figure out a way to get the MEG installed.....

Lego
Performance White #2351
15small.jpg
[/IMG]

cmsnake

Established Member
300 miles on the clock.

Tranny is fine under normal driving conditions. After spirited driving (quick 1-4gear blast), tranny seems to heat up and 5th-6th are extremely hard/stiff to move in and out of gear.

Very, very frustrating. Car has been to dealer twice in 12 days of ownership, one of those trips included fresh tranny fluid.

I have not experienced any lockout. I have been able to bang the gears pretty hard, and the car/tranny respond great. Its just after the fact the heat is generated the tranny shows its weakness. Open to suggestions, really just want to fix this on my own and leave the dealer out of it because outside of this issue, the car is truely amazing.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
My 2013, when spirited driving, the clutch pedal will only return about 75% up, and I'm guaranteed to not make the next shift.
I am getting ready to order a barton and the 2 post bracket. after that we'll see how things go

86Fbody

Established Member
My 2013, when spirited driving, the clutch pedal will only return about 75% up, and I'm guaranteed to not make the next shift.
I am getting ready to order a barton and the 2 post bracket. after that we'll see how things go

Before you spend the money, since your talking about two different areas on the car, try removing the shift assist spring (if the '13s even kept that POS) and see if that solves your issue. It's fairly easy and costs nothing.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
Before you spend the money, since your talking about two different areas on the car, try removing the shift assist spring (if the '13s even kept that POS) and see if that solves your issue. It's fairly easy and costs nothing.

thank you, is this on the pedal assy under the dash?

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
n/m, I just found a link with pics on the boss302forum. I'll be removing the spring today

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
assist spring removed, it is definitely much better! other than that, I have had no shifting issues.
thanks for the help

ps, this spring has some tension on it! damn it was a tough little booger to get out

86Fbody

Established Member
It is def hard to do with the pedal box attached to the car, but much less hassle then taking out the pedal box. Has it seemed to fix your issue a bit?

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
It is def hard to do with the pedal box attached to the car, but much less hassle then taking out the pedal box. Has it seemed to fix your issue a bit?

yes! 100% thank you again, I found detailed instructions with pics on boss302forum

86Fbody

Established Member
That is where I got mine from. I ended up braking the perch that the spring rested on, but I would never put that shit back on. Plus it is much cheaper then buying a shifter.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
That is where I got mine from. I ended up braking the perch that the spring rested on, but I would never put that shit back on. Plus it is much cheaper then buying a shifter.

ditto, after messing with it for 10 minutes, a big pry bar had it out in under 30 seconds....lol

NJSP117

Established Member
ditto, after messing with it for 10 minutes, a big pry bar had it out in under 30 seconds....lol

Does the 13 use the shift assist spring? If so, is it something that should be removed to make the car shift smoother?
I have a 13 and sometimes the clutch seems more difficult to push when I'm driving it hard...has anyone else experienced that? Sometimes real easy to push...sometimes it takes more pressure....seems odd.

86Fbody

Established Member
Does the 13 use the shift assist spring? If so, is it something that should be removed to make the car shift smoother?
I have a 13 and sometimes the clutch seems more difficult to push when I'm driving it hard...has anyone else experienced that? Sometimes real easy to push...sometimes it takes more pressure....seems odd.

I am not sure, easy way to check is to get up under the steering column. Clutch sticking during high RPM shifts *HOW TO FIX IT!* - Boss 302 Forum is the site I used to do the mod. The spring is on the right pedal box.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
Yes, the 13's have the assist spring and yes you should remove it. I just did it on my 13 and the clutch functions much better now

cmsnake

Established Member
300 miles on the clock.

Tranny is fine under normal driving conditions. After spirited driving (quick 1-4gear blast), tranny seems to heat up and 5th-6th are extremely hard/stiff to move in and out of gear.

Very, very frustrating. Car has been to dealer twice in 12 days of ownership, one of those trips included fresh tranny fluid.

I have not experienced any lockout. I have been able to bang the gears pretty hard, and the car/tranny respond great. Its just after the fact the heat is generated the tranny shows its weakness. Open to suggestions, really just want to fix this on my own and leave the dealer out of it because outside of this issue, the car is truely amazing.
Just a quick update. Just went over 1000 miles and the tranny is spot on. No more stiffness in 5th and 6th after its been beat on/heated up. I feel like this was a heat issue, it has gotten noticably cooler here in GA. This is the only thing I can attribute it too. Nothing else has changed. I guess only time will tell, but for what its worth she now takes a beating with ease.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
update, after I removed the shift assist spring 3rd gear was still "hard to find" at high RPM. I just installed a Barton shifter and their 2 post bracket, now there is no problem finding gears at high rpm, power shifting etc. It is now much more fun to drive, the throw is much shorter with this shifter.
It is a bit stiff and reverse requires more effort, but the trade offs are well worth the investment. the shifter and bracket took about an hour to do on the floor in my garage

Users who are viewing this thread