Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

wachamberlain

Established Member
update, after I removed the shift assist spring 3rd gear was still "hard to find" at high RPM. I just installed a Barton shifter and their 2 post bracket, now there is no problem finding gears at high rpm, power shifting etc. It is now much more fun to drive, the throw is much shorter with this shifter.
It is a bit stiff and reverse requires more effort, but the trade offs are well worth the investment. the shifter and bracket took about an hour to do on the floor in my garage

Multiple kudos to Barton and their shifter...........After install, no miss shifts, as you stated reverse does require more effort, well worth the trade off, with the sloppy stock shifter and bracket.

86Fbody

Established Member
It would be nice if a company would take it one step further and make a bracket that attaches to the trans and the frame and the body to stop the trans from twisting in relation to the shifter.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
from what I can tell, the 5.0 powered cars (GT/BOSS) use the chinese built MT-82 (368.73 ft lbs max torque rating) transmissions, the GT500 uses the stronger TR-6060 (600 ft lbs max torque rating) so the problems that someone is having in a 5.0 powered car won't be the same that the GT500 would be having.

the only thing in common with these transmissions is both are 6 speed..

86Fbody

Established Member
They both also have a floating shifter, which I believe is what causes some of the lock-out/missed shifts. Guys with GT500's also seem to have their fair share of trans issues.

idhitit

Established Member
I have had both cars and this car (boss) is much more temperamental with the shifts than any of my other Shelbys ever were. The Shelbys felt much more positive in the shifts and less like you are using a piece of rope to shift with.

Last edited:

Splatter

Established Member
5th gear syncro gone after 4000mi

Typical 3rd crunching after 7000 rpm, 5th gear syncro went at 4000 miles. Opening box next week. Seriously thinking of swapping in a T56 magnum XL. The MT82 is not ment for the boss. Torque limit is 380ft/lbs!!. MT 82's work great in Ford Transit vans and Land Rover Defenders but thats with a diesel (122Hp)............Get real Ford.

First time a gear box ever failed on me. Love the car but deeply disappointed with the gear box

86Fbody

Established Member
Typical 3rd crunching after 7000 rpm, 5th gear syncro went at 4000 miles. Opening box next week. Seriously thinking of swapping in a T56 magnum XL. The MT82 is not ment for the boss. Torque limit is 380ft/lbs!!. MT 82's work great in Ford Transit vans and Land Rover Defenders but thats with a diesel (122Hp)............Get real Ford.

First time a gear box ever failed on me. Love the car but deeply disappointed with the gear box

Someone had said that Ford stuck with the MT82 in the Boss because tremac wouldn't supply a trans in ford's price range. A little sad since I could bet that anyone who actually drives this car would have opted for a tr6060 or magnum swap had Ford given us the option.

WhiteKnite

Established Member
Someone had said that Ford stuck with the MT82 in the Boss because tremac wouldn't supply a trans in ford's price range. A little sad since I could bet that anyone who actually drives this car would have opted for a tr6060 or magnum swap had Ford given us the option.

I have a new 2013 Boss 302 and I have some notichyness on fast and slow shifts from 1-2. It's worse if reving above 7k and fast. So, it's not really that fun to shift fast right now. Shifting from 2-3 is smooth slow shifting (even at sub-50 temps). Shifting from 2-3 fast (7k rpm) is decent. But not as bad as 1-2.

I'm going to swap out the transmission fluid to see if that helps (Redline 70W-80 or 75W-90). If that doesn't help might change out the shifter. After that, I'm getting the Tremec T56 magnum XL Package (which includes a shifter, single piece drive shaft, and a whole boat load of other goodies).

Splatter

Established Member
Just for the heck of it I tracked down the builder of the MT82 in China and asked for a quote. They said no problem sending me a box for 2084 bucks plus shipping. Why oh why did ford do such a dumb ass thing to a great car.

Putting in a MGW (ordered it before the syncro went) and new syncros while I save up some money for the Magnum XL. What would you guys recommend for lubricant in the MT82 while I save cash?? Redline has told me that they will no recommend MTL, any other ideas??

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
My trans has the notchy 1-2 and 2-3. My biggest problem is where the clutch engages. My clutch will engage an inch or two off the floor. I wish it was more in the middle of the pedal travel. On these hydraulic clutches, is there any way to adjust where engagement happens?

WhiteKnite

Established Member
My trans has the notchy 1-2 and 2-3. My biggest problem is where the clutch engages. My clutch will engage an inch or two off the floor. I wish it was more in the middle of the pedal travel. On these hydraulic clutches, is there any way to adjust where engagement happens?

Same here.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
2,100 miles on the clock and I get the most god awful noise when shifting to 2nd for the first couple minutes of driving. Sounds like some threw a aluminum can into a wood chipper. Once the car warms up everything is great, no lock out, grinding, or anything. But that initial shift to 2nd always makes me cringe.

Fat Boss

Established Member

No way, not me. But mine works PERFECT. I would not want to give up a gear to overdrive.

BTW- anyone who complains about their MT82 before it has a few thousand miles on it is not giving it a chance. Mine worked better at 500 and waaaay better by 3000 miles. Just don't do much shifting while it's cold and it will get a lot better with age.

Can we get past the "the MT82 is only rated for..." crap? They hold up just fine until you're at the stratospheric power levels. A friend has a GT350 with a tune and he's got something like 30,000 miles on it now. He's running about 600 to the wheels.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
No way, not me. But mine works PERFECT. I would not want to give up a gear to overdrive.

BTW- anyone who complains about their MT82 before it has a few thousand miles on it is not giving it a chance. Mine worked better at 500 and waaaay better by 3000 miles. Just don't do much shifting while it's cold and it will get a lot better with age.

Can we get past the "the MT82 is only rated for..." crap? They hold up just fine until you're at the stratospheric power levels. A friend has a GT350 with a tune and he's got something like 30,000 miles on it now. He's running about 600 to the wheels.

While its great that you aren't having issues obviously its not the case for everyone- additionally it's not just due to the cold or huge power levels? Are you calling owners with problems liars? Come on man, that's pretty messed up. Glad yours works great but that doesn't mean they all do:poke:

86Fbody

Established Member
While its great that you aren't having issues obviously its not the case for everyone- additionally it's not just due to the cold or huge power levels? Are you calling owners with problems liars? Come on man, that's pretty messed up. Glad yours works great but that doesn't mean they all do:poke:

Even worse is when you take it to a track that is more then 1/4 of a mile and straight. On a road course, I assume because of the floating shifter, you can run into issues when going out of a corner and trying to shift.

Fat Boss

Established Member

Apparently you didn't read my post and just lumped me in with the people that say there's nothing wrong with the MT82... That's not what I wrote. I wrote two things, first put some miles on the trans before you make a harsh decision, and second that the trans is capable of a hell of a lot more than 380 foot pounds. That's it.

So yeah I guess you could somehow read into what I wrote that people with problems are liars.. :bash:

86Fbody

Established Member
Apparently you didn't read my post and just lumped me in with the people that say there's nothing wrong with the MT82... That's not what I wrote. I wrote two things, first put some miles on the trans before you make a harsh decision, and second that the trans is capable of a hell of a lot more than 380 foot pounds. That's it.

So yeah I guess you could somehow read into what I wrote that people with problems are liars.. :bash:

Would you at some point consider replacing the trans with something a little more robust though?

DitkaOrGod

Established Member
I had my boss for 1000 miles. I bought the car with 3000 miles on it. I had a sticky clutch pedal and was getting locked outa gears. I had ford customer service involved through the whole process.
They replaced the master/slave cylinder, clutch, and finally the trans. I was still having issues. After 2 months of the car being in the shop, I made the dealership but the car back. One of the more frustrating issues I have dealt with. Dealership was great and fords cc was good but they couldn't get it fixed.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Fat Boss

Established Member
Would you at some point consider replacing the trans with something a little more robust though?

No, the only real power related failures I know of are RACERAT powershifting her car with more than twice the factory output. The design is sound, the manufacturing quality is suspect. I KNOW that before long you'll be able to buy a rebuilt "blue printed" trans that will be sweet. Mine works perfect, so I know they can work perfect. No way I'd go to a double overdrive trans like the Shelby GT500 has.

The clutch on the other hand is likely the culprit for many "transmission related issues" and I'm sure someone will have a nice aftermarket one. Someday I'll replace mine with something other than OEM. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread