Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm trying to get an idea of how widespread these issues are among Boss owners. If you have a GT, I started a thread in the 2011+ forum to get answers from you guys.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, I've been trying to get the trans in my Boss repaired for quite some time due to high RPM gear lockout, occasional grinding, and heat-related hard shifting. To date they've replaced the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, TOB, slave cylinder, clutch hydraulic fluid (twice) and trans fluid, and are waiting on a shifter. Ford is requiring they do all this before authorizing a transmission teardown. As of today I have been without my car for 30 days, the minimum amount required to file for Lemon Law in the state of Texas.

If you are a member of other Boss forums, please post this thread and link back to here. The more people we poll, the more likely we will be to get an accurate portrait of just how big this problem is. I know several have chimed in on my previous threads and posts with related issues.

Last edited:

ArabianOak

Established Member
Overall I am very happy with my trans but I do experience lockout on occasion during hard shifting, especiallly going around turns...not sure if im just shifting a little crooked or what but it has happened.

Sorry to hear about your issues and I hope you get it all sorted out.

earlycobra

Established Member
Long story on mine, as I'm going through issues with Ford right now I feel the masses need to voice up.

Fifth gear was burnt out completely on my car with 27 miles on it (IE not even double-clutching would prevent grinding). Upset, but having known there could be issues, I took the car back and kept a level head. After a Cost-Cap analysis, they determined rebuilding was the best option (FOR THEM). I explained that a syncrho doesn't burn out on it's own, in 27 miles without either insane driving (and not using the clutch while shifting) or, more likely, something else was at fault and caused it to go out. They rebuilt anyway.

Since then, the car has popped out of first at least once a day, sometimes popping out of reverse too. I own 10 mustangs, and have owned almost 40. It ain't my first rodeo, and I've been raising hell to just have it replaced. So far, Ford has offered no help. The dealer has to replicate the problem, then probably pull the trans and inspect. The deal is that it has already been in the shop 13 days, and to replicate, tear-down, and inspect could be another two weeks.

I love my car, I want to have a Boss, I'm fine if they fix this one properly. But like you, I'm a bit frustrated with bandaging a bad trans.

FKing1

Established Member
I understand form some previous posts that the trans will lock out if you try to shift at redline.
I experienced lockout from 2nd to 3rd at a track day with the engine at redline.
On a subsequent run I shifted at about 7200 RPM and had no problem shifting.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I understand form some previous posts that the trans will lock out if you try to shift at redline.
I experienced lockout from 2nd to 3rd at a track day with the engine at redline.

I've been locked out anywhere from 6k to 7200. At the strip I shift at 7200 on the button and have datalog/vid to prove it.

str3ck

Established Member
ever since i bought the car, i have had it grind from first to second if i go over 7K RPMs. I installed the MGW full shifter and shifter bracket and while it doesn't do it every time now, it's still 3 out of 4 times. I haven't had my boss to the track it's just spirited driving around town.

I haven't swapped the fluid out incase I ever have to take it to the dealership, that way they can't say it's the fluid that's the problem. while the shifter was an all day project to install (and it's a great shifter btw), i may swap back to factory and take the car in for service if ford ever admits to the issue.

Grant808

Established Member
No problems with the Boss. Used to have minor cold grinding issues in the '11 Brembo GT during the first winter when it was 60's and below. Past winter there were no problems. Build date for the GT was in September 2010.

My GT shifter feels less 'crunchy' than when new and now has a decent notchy feel for a stock shifter. Boss is still a little crunchy and the lateral throw is much tighter than the GT, despite other opinions that they all have the same parts.

It is strange to me that the lockout issues are not 100% solved with aftermarket shifters, which feel very nice and easy to use. I do think that many of the clutch issues are from burnt or boiling fluid along with the stupid helper spring. Some people would probably benefit from the vacuum pump clutch bleed procedure. Done both my cars as preventative measure as I did see the black/brown floaties in the GT brake reservoir.

Driving wise, I beat on both cars, but always rev match/heel toe downshift.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Minor grinding into second and fourth and had a dealer look at it. Lock out from 2-3 and 3-4 and have that documented too. Changed tranny fluid which helped with grinding. Installed MGW shifter today and I hope this bandaid helps with the lock out. I also installed the JHR clutch line and that didn't help anything.

I've been working on a similar poll but it will have a slightly different approach. Clearly these issues are happening to many owners and Ford knows about them. I still think most of the lock out issues are from the clutch not being able to handle the higher RPM's of the Boss motor.

Last edited:

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I really hate that you have had so many problems, in my 12 I had the clutch pedal stick to the ground a few times. Thats more of clutch/hydraulic issue than a trans I would guess. Just picked up a 13 boss will chime back in after putting some miles on it.

c6dreamvette

Established Member
Entire trans replaced

I was having issues with 2nd and 5th. The last time I was getting on it pretty good entered 2nd, car started to wheel hop then pop! No more 2nd or 5th. Turned out the syncro's were shot. I demanded a new trans or I would not except the car. It took two weeks for aproval and going to the owner of the dealership but I did end out with a new trans. Ford wanted to just replace the syncro's and any gears that may have been damaged from the chunks. The best part of my arguement was the car only had 600 miles.
You just need to keep fighting, don't back down! They will fix it. I have about 1100 miles since new trans and no issues yet. I also put a Barton in with the new trans.
Good luck!

Btm_Fdr

Have had lockout several times.(mostly 1st-2nd).Changed clutch line & put Redline in tranny & seemed to help.Prob. still not solved but seems somewhat better.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
No issues whatsoever. The only mod I've done is a Steeda shifter bracket. I can shift at redline all day into any gear. I don't powershift, but I'm not slow & don't baby it by any means. I've had no grinding or gear lock out at all, no clutch pedal issues.

I'm just very happy to be one of the lucky ones. I'm sorry to hear about everyone else's issues. I was expecting to have the same issues when I bought the car, but thankfully no. I honestly love this transmission & shifter.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
I've got a crunchy 2nd and 3rd gear when cold and have lockout in 2nd and 3rd 3 out of 5 times if I shift above 6800RPM. Any shift above 6800 RPM has a VERY heavy clutch pedal, too.

I've not taken it to the dealer, I get anxiety from just thinking about having to deal with the local Ford service house. I've only got 1200 miles on my Boss, I'll get a few more miles on her and see if things improve.

Jason

NuclearPower

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500 that frequently rejects 4-5 at high rpm/speed.

Texas lemon law is not as simple as 30 days. My car was out for 60 days for the electric streering and did not qualify...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500 that frequently rejects 4-5 at high rpm/speed.

Texas lemon law is not as simple as 30 days. My car was out for 60 days for the electric streering and did not qualify...

Did they give you a loaner? My dealer refused a loaner. It's pretty simple on that point.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
Just traded in my '11 5.0 (Oct '10 build, I think) for my '13 Boss. I had what I describe as a "nibble" on the 1-2 shift in the '11 when cold (lasted for about 5 minutes of normal driving) unless I was extra careful when shifting. I wasn't necessarily nice but I didn't rag the hell out of it and it didn't have any new symptoms after ~16,000 miles.

The Boss does the same thing, too. I'm not too worried about it. If other issues come up after I get my 500 mile break-in done I'll bring it up to my service department.

12boss061

antibowtie
Established Member
many many shifts "on the chip" and never once had any problem. I have been using RP Synchromax and Barton shifter/bracket since about day 3. Haven't yet replaced the fluid line, nor have I removed the assist spring.

Users who are viewing this thread