Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

86Fbody

Established Member
Is it possible the lockout is caused by the lockout solenoid, the same out that initiates the skip shift. I posted something a while ago about downshifts from 5th to 4th while rev matching causing a lockout of 4th. I tried a few times to force it because I was pissed the car was locking me out and could get it in. Sad thing is I could easily rev math downshift in my old 93 celica. It was like I was trying to downshift at 7k+, more like 5k and it would try to lock me out. Sadly I will begin saving up for a T56 Magnum so that I know I have a trans that isn't rated exactly at the torque the motor puts out and so I know I have a trans that doesn't use that cheap, stupid, remote shifter bracket damn penny pinching Hermans.

12boss061

antibowtie
Established Member
Is it possible the lockout is caused by the lockout solenoid, the same out that initiates the skip shift. I posted something a while ago about downshifts from 5th to 4th while rev matching causing a lockout of 4th. I tried a few times to force it because I was pissed the car was locking me out and could get it in. Sad thing is I could easily rev math downshift in my old 93 celica. It was like I was trying to downshift at 7k+, more like 5k and it would try to lock me out. Sadly I will begin saving up for a T56 Magnum so that I know I have a trans that isn't rated exactly at the torque the motor puts out and so I know I have a trans that doesn't use that cheap, stupid, remote shifter bracket damn penny pinching Hermans.
Doubt the skip-shift solenoid is the culprit, however it only takes about 2 minutes to unplug it. Mine has been disabled since day one. I don't think that the '13's have the skip-shift feature.
I think the key here is addressing the possible contributors, prior to having a trans damaging episode. Once the damage is done, no mods will reverse it.

86Fbody

Established Member
Doubt the skip-shift solenoid is the culprit, however it only takes about 2 minutes to unplug it. Mine has been disabled since day one. I don't think that the '13's have the skip-shift feature.
I think the key here is addressing the possible contributors, prior to having a trans damaging episode. Once the damage is done, no mods will reverse it.

I wonder though if the 13's got rid off of the skip shift because it causes issues. is there a lockout solenoid for the MT82 that is different then the skip-shift.

wachamberlain

Established Member
I spoke too soon..........Did not have any issues for 2500 miles now I get the dreaded 3rd gear lockout.........I only have issues under hard acceleration, keeping it below 4k rpms, have no issues in any gear.

Under high rpms, will not go into 3rd, doesn't matter if your Arnold S, you cannot force it into gear, if it doesn't go in the first time.

Gonna try a shifter and bushing to see if that alleviates the issue.........If not will be going with a Tremec.

hori

Established Member
3rd gear lock out few times at 6 to redline
skip shift solenoid is unplugged
trackey and reg key both lock out 3rd occasionally

no grinding or other issues

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Could it be the hydraulic mechanism of the clutch that is faulty? Although my Cobra has a clutch cable, it had issues with high rpm shifting and slight grinding/notchiness as well. Turned out the cable would not tighten quite enough of the slack out with the automatic adjuster. Whenever you would depress the clutch, the adjuster would rest on a bracket that would reset it. To fix it, you would bend the bracket piece out of the way and just manually set the tension by hand. After that, butter smooth shifting. The clutch was just not fully disengaging prior to the mod. I know the hydraulic set up is completely different, but are you guys positive the clutch is fully disengaging between shifts?

Unrealford

Established Member
I have experierienced since new, The Whine Type noise while driving)

I experience the lockout, but the MGW shifter fixed this issue...

The supercharger type whine has worried me, but I havent taken it in yet.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
No, but my hydraulics were replaced under warranty and the issue persisted.

right but based on the poll, it looks like if the hydraulics are at fault, you have nearly a 50% chance of just replacing junk hydraulics with newer junk hydraulics.

Is there anyway to convert from a hydraulic set up to a clutch cable? just a suggestion.

86Fbody

Established Member
I have experierienced since new, The Whine Type noise while driving)

I experience the lockout, but the MGW shifter fixed this issue...

The supercharger type whine has worried me, but I havent taken it in yet.

Has anyone figured out this whine? I feel like it has to be engine based, at least in my case because it will go away if I let off the throttle.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It's stories like this that really make me hesitate to get the new 5.0...... I just read where Ford tried to tell the NHTSA that it's only 3% of the transmissions effected. It sure sounds like a lot more than that.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I don't have a Boss so I hope you all don't think I'm cluttering up your thread but I think this is a valid question - I've been researching a TT 5.0 Coyote swap in my '01 Cobra and I've been comparing the possible transmission choices between the TR6060 and the T56 Magnum. I know everyone w/ a Boss has essentially a new car and is looking to get this issue resolved under warranty but I'm curious has anyone here considered swapping the TR6060 for the T56 Magnum?

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
It's stories like this that really make me hesitate to get the new 5.0...... I just read where Ford tried to tell the NHTSA that it's only 3% of the transmissions effected. It sure sounds like a lot more than that.

The thing to keep in mind is we're an exclusive bunch of Mustang fans that pay close attention to our cars and push them to their limits. There are MILLIONS of owners that don't do this. You also have to take into account he placebo effect when reading the forums, too. People hear the horror stories and then think they're cars are showing the same symptoms, when in reality their not having any issues.

Jason

86Fbody

Established Member
I don't have a Boss so I hope you all don't think I'm cluttering up your thread but I think this is a valid question - I've been researching a TT 5.0 Coyote swap in my '01 Cobra and I've been comparing the possible transmission choices between the TR6060 and the T56 Magnum. I know everyone w/ a Boss has essentially a new car and is looking to get this issue resolved under warranty but I'm curious has anyone here considered swapping the TR6060 for the T56 Magnum?
Several people have thought about the new T56 but I think people don't want to switch the TR6060 in because it also has issues.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Not a Boss but took my '11 GT into the shop last week for severe grinding while going into 3rd. Turns out my PP bolts backed out and caused some syncro damage. They're rebuilding my trans under warranty because of it.

86Fbody

Established Member
Not a Boss but took my '11 GT into the shop last week for severe grinding while going into 3rd. Turns out my PP bolts backed out and caused some syncro damage. They're rebuilding my trans under warranty because of it.

That seems fishy that they would just back out. Did they have an explanation as to how that happened.

cloud9

Established Member
I have about 12k miles on the car and roughly 5k of them are on the track. I am not having significant issues with the transmission, but I am having some shifting issues. First of all it does occasionally shift hard into 5th at high RPM on track especially compared to my 07 GT500. I have 35k miles and 8k track miles on that car and it frankly shifts like butter. With the Boss it just seems to shift a little more difficult in general, but not so much that it's an issue generally.

I have had two clutch part failures. The first was an anti-rattle spring coming out of the clutch disc and lodging between the pressure plate locking everything out. That was last year with about 5k miles and 2k track miles on the car. The second issue was a failed slave cylinder this past May with about 8k miles and 3k track miles. In both cases the clutch friction material and pressure plate surfaces looked great but Ford replaced them anyway. I also had the dreaded clutch on the floor after a 4-5 shift at Road America but it only happened once and didn't happen again.

Generally speaking I haven't found there to be a real issue with the transmission, however I'm very skeptical about the clutch especially with two failures. The upside is they were independent failures versus the same part both times. If the same part fails regularly you know you've got a systemic problem.

maverikb

Established Member
This is probably the biggest issue stopping me from pulling the trigger on a boss. In many ways I LOVE it more then a GT500 but hate Ford blaming its customers for the problem.

I hit a 3-4 lockout during a test drive a couple weeks ago. Salesman tried to tell me its because its under 3,000 miles. . . . . and I've driven sticks almost my entire driving age (and a little before).

For the record, if anyone from Ford has noticed, even professional race car driver Randy Pobst hit issues with 3-4 shifts during his motortrend LS run!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread