Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

JoeJ

Established Member
I have a 2013 Boss 302LS. I took it to the track at Motor Sports Ranch Houston a couple weekends ago. There were 3 other 2013 LS there and all four of us was having trouble going from third to fourth after a few laps. It was extremely hot and as soon as the transmission heated up it was almost impossible to get it in 4th gear. I was also having problem going down to 2nd gear. The car is completely stock. I do not normally drive it on the track and I think I will just change the transmission fluid to some good Royal Purple and live with it. I also still have the stock shifter in the car. On the street I have had no problems shifting.

86Fbody

Established Member
I have a 2013 Boss 302LS. I took it to the track at Motor Sports Ranch Houston a couple weekends ago. There were 3 other 2013 LS there and all four of us was having trouble going from third to fourth after a few laps. It was extremely hot and as soon as the transmission heated up it was almost impossible to get it in 4th gear. I was also having problem going down to 2nd gear. The car is completely stock. I do not normally drive it on the track and I think I will just change the transmission fluid to some good Royal Purple and live with it. I also still have the stock shifter in the car. On the street I have had no problems shifting.

Have you yet changed the stock brake fluid out? If not I would recommend it as it does help with the clutch, which seems to be part of the problem with the shifting issues.

wr450

Established Member
I had my 5th gear syncro go at about 5000km, before that had constant annoying lockouts at anywhere close to full load shifts. Put in new complete set of syncros in and added a MW shifter with different oil. Not had a single problem since. Still love the car but Ford should have done the job right from the start. Strongly recommend you change the shifter on these cars!

What brand of oil

FKing1

Established Member
A Barton shifter & Redline D4ATF in the tranny solved all my problems.

Spoke too soon. Had 3 to 4 problem at drag strip. Had to wait about 2 seconds for the revs to drop before trans would shift.
Installed CHE , K member and torque limiters that will supposedly cure this.
Haven't tried out yet , but, will update.

lpheaven

Established Member
I have had the following happen:

1.Clutch slow to rise (not stick to floor) - pumped it about 20 times at a light and it never happened again

2. 3rd gear lockout a few times

If it doesn't happen to me every time i slam 3rd gear @ 8000, i'm chaulking it up to the way I'm driving it. Granted I don't track or drag the car.....but I drive like I do

12k miles of street pounding on shitty jersey roads. Next spring i'll put better fluid in and see but I won't until i hit the gate again. Also - for me to, when I moved my seat closer, my shifts are pretty spot on.

I think on some of these Bosses, you got a good build or not for those that have to have replacements - that clearly a freakin issue

lpheaven

Established Member
update - since the install of my Procharger i am experiencing more lockouts due to the mountain of added power. I am upgrading 1st the motor mounts to Prothane, axle exchange driveshaft and a whiteline bushing(minor bandaid). I am not going to change out the shifter or add any bracket to it- mine has basically no slop at all and was working perfect 99% of the time, so if im going to spend more coin - ill get a clutch and flywheel 1st. My thought process is upgrade not bandaid.

FKing1

Established Member
Spoke too soon. Had 3 to 4 problem at drag strip. Had to wait about 2 seconds for the revs to drop before trans would shift.
Installed CHE , K member and torque limiters that will supposedly cure this.
Haven't tried out yet , but, will update.

The torque limiter did not solve the lockout at the strip 2nd to 3rd to 4th.
Guess I'm an easy mark for aftermarket stuff as I put in a Blowfish Trans Support as the next try.
Won't be dragging till next spring, but, may go to some back road to try.

shoracer

Established Member
I run into lock out all the time, 8 psi Vortech/(sp), full kooks, John Lund tune, ID1000, braided clutch line, white line trans insert.

Para81

Established Member
Had lockout happen maybe two or three times in the first 5,000 miles, had a MGW short throw installed and no transmission issues at all shifts are incredible.

86Fbody

Established Member
The torque limiter did not solve the lockout at the strip 2nd to 3rd to 4th.
Guess I'm an easy mark for aftermarket stuff as I put in a Blowfish Trans Support as the next try.
Won't be dragging till next spring, but, may go to some back road to try.

High RPM lockout is clutch/pressure plate related, not really shifter related.

86Fbody

Established Member
If this is so, why doesn't it happen with all gear changes , only some (i.e., 2-3 & 3-4)?

Maybe it is a combination of things, I do know that I had lockouts around 7k and after switching to the BF bracket that went away, but anything above that still gets me a lockout, 7500 or 7800 whatever it is right before redline.

Tyler72

Established Member
I rarely run into lockout issues anymore, but sometimes it is difficult to get into 5th gear. On a road course this is extremely frustrating. I another issue is the clutch, where after about 3 consecutive 7500 rpm shifts, the pedal is mushy and doesnt always come all the way back up. To me, its like it boils the fluid in the slave, because even after pulling the pedal up, it takes some pumping to get pedal feel back to normal. I have a stainless braided clutch line, Amsoil DOT 4 clutch fluid, Amsoil synchromesh trans fluid, MGW, & white line mount insert. I think I may go ahead and do a clutch/flywheel soon so maybe that will fix it all.

JJJTMC

Established Member
Clutch pedal stay out, dealer replaced clutch/pressure plates/slave. Warranty, and no issues since.

5th & 6th gear grinding, dealer just ordered all new parts/syncros. Waiting on parts to install. Warranty, Parts ordered on 16 Feb, just notified that syncro on back order until 10 March. It would appear many issues if back ordered for 3 weeks?

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Clutch pedal stay out, dealer replaced clutch/pressure plates/slave. Warranty, and no issues since.

5th & 6th gear grinding, dealer just ordered all new parts/syncros. Waiting on parts to install. Warranty, Parts ordered on 16 Feb, just notified that syncro on back order until 10 March. It would appear many issues if back ordered for 3 weeks?
Where in FL are you located? Also how many miles on your car when they replaced the clutch?
Good luck with the repair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread