Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 56 32.6%

• Total voters

JJJTMC

Established Member
Where in FL are you located? Also how many miles on your car when they replaced the clutch?
Good luck with the repair.

East Coast from Orlando. Clutch I'm thinking about 19k miles, I'm at 24k now. My parts came in for tranny syncros, tomorrow will be 3 days on the repair.

Last edited:

JJJTMC

Established Member
2012 with 36K miles sitting in the dealership as I type, 2nd gear lock out and grinding going into 5th at any speed or RPM. Car is bone stock

$2007.00 in parts alone. Doesn't account for labor and 7 day rental. 1-2-5-6 syncros replaced. No grinding since.

dhenderson67

Boss
Established Member
$2007.00 in parts alone. Doesn't account for labor and 7 day rental. 1-2-5-6 syncros replaced. No grinding since.

Well I gave them a call after 5 days and the only information I was able to get was parts have been ordered. May car is #12 of the 12 pre-production cars built that the executives used for demo's. Sure glad I have the extend warranty. Still love my car... Dealership not so much :rollseyes

JJJTMC

Established Member
My parts were on back order too. That tells me the problem is bigger than they want admit.

dhenderson67

Boss
Established Member
My parts were on back order too. That tells me the problem is bigger than they want admit.

They know it's a problem but because it's not safety related they can fix them as they come in...
My question is how is it cost efficient to rebuild an entire transmission instead of just replacing the transmission.
I know what hourly rates are at dealerships unless Ford pay's less to the technicians for warranty work?
Well I guess I should be happy they are doing the repair under warranty with out me having to fight them about the repair.

I am one of those crazy people who think I shouldn't have to spend a dime on a aftermarket part for a transmission to operate properly on a performance vehicle.

04nccobra

Established Member
These results of the pole aren't very encouraging. I'm considering purchasing a low mileage mint 13-Boss, but after shifting issues I had with my 12 GT which ultimately frustrated me enough to sell the car I am a bit reluctant to pull the trigger. My question to the group is without aftermarket parts has Ford warranty helped?

dhenderson67

Boss
Established Member
These results of the pole aren't very encouraging. I'm considering purchasing a low mileage mint 13-Boss, but after shifting issues I had with my 12 GT which ultimately frustrated me enough to sell the car I am a bit reluctant to pull the trigger. My question to the group is without aftermarket parts has Ford warranty helped?

To be completely honest I thought when I took mine into the dealership it was going to be a battle. I am the second owner of the car and it had 36K miles. They did a complete rebuild under warranty and the car shifts great now. I am still experiencing lockout from 1st to second at high RPM's (7K and above) but I am confident that my purchase of the new MGW will fix that issue. The Boss is an amazing car and even with the transmission issue I had I would buy another one. :rolling:

hand-filer

Established Member
You're going to like the MGW shifter. It's a night and day difference in terms of precision and feel. It might not cure your high rpm lockout issue. It usually requires an aftermarket clutch to fix that problem.

KBBoss302

Established Member
On my 2013 Boss LS with less than 6k miles, I had a new Spec Stage 1 clutch, alloy flywheel, and stainless clutch line installed this weekend. Already had Blowfish bracket, MGW (from 2 years ago), Whiteline bushing, and removed clutch assist spring a long time ago.

Before getting the new clutch, I was having lots of lockout (and grinding issues a couple of times) on 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts at 7k+ rpm. Have been breaking in clutch but honestly I am not encouraged so far. It still seems like I am having issues but I will give it a few hundred more miles of break-in before deciding. I have owned a lot of manual cars in my lifetime and this one has by far the most finicky gearbox.

I love the car and will never get rid of it, but I see an MT82 rebuild in my future!

Last edited:

BADBOSS

Established Member
WOW I must be lucky, my only issue after 30K miles remains the same. A slight nibble/grind when the transmission is cold when I speed shift from 3/4. I put RedLine MT fluid in at 8k which made it a lot better. I did have it lock out on me once at the track day for the 50th in Las Vegas. It was in the last few laps of my 4th track session of the day in 95 degree heat. Going to get the transmission cooling scoop for my next track session.

Para81

Established Member
The trans is why my Boss 302 was not a "keeper". If it's out of warranty put aside 3-5k in the bank and expect a full rebuild approx every 2-4 years - it only breaks.

kbroush

Established Member
I finally had transmission issues with my Boss after 15k miles. The car would not shift at all. After taking it in to the dealership they decided to just replace the slave. I asked them if they woukd replace the clutch under warranty if I but an aftermarket clutch and they just warranty the labor. They agreed to this. When they pulled the transmission out the pressure plate was in pieces so it needed replaced anyways. I purchased an Exedy Hyper Single clutch and flywheel through Dean Martin of Rehagen Racing. After the install of this and a stainless braided clutch line it solved every issue I ever had with high rpm lockout. I still have the factory shifter but plan to upgrade to the mgw race spec over winter. I hope this helps...

FKing1

Established Member
A number of threads on other forums have said the pressure plate is a weak link.
Having a Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum flywheel & MGW installed next Monday. Have Blowfish & Barton that want to sell (not Blowfish.)
Will post results after break in & strip run.

Joseph Land

Established Member
My carfax showed my transmission was overhauled at 1,200 miles. Shifts great. Better than my '12 GT I had. It was awful.

Users who are viewing this thread