got screwed on car sale by member! i need your help!

venom04svt

Established Member
+1 ^^^^^^^ When i deployed to afghanistan the last time i stored my car for 17 months, in Va no less. This exact thing happened, my intercooler core cracked cause my dumb ass left it with nothing but water in the canton IC tank and intercooler system due to running at the track with ice. Well it froze and busted, but i can also tell you IT WILL NOT RUN, even if there is NO WATER in the system it will not run. Further more on a test drive, boost or no boost a blower that large and obviously pullied for high boost the iat's will climb at an insane rate and the car would go into limp mode even if would run. This happened sometime after you bought it and its unfortunant but no other damage should have happened since it was caught early and in fact its been parked.

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
The part he didn't mention is the intercooler pump relay wasn't even hooked up originally in addition to the resi being dry. Of course if the relay was unhooked and the system was dry it would run fine. The guy knew it was F's up.

For court purposes I would think that unless he wrote a receipt that says "sold as is" which I always do just to protect myself from the guy who abuses something on the way home and wants to come back on it.

I know Evil, the car was trailored home and he's been tidding up things ever since.

I know we got flat out ripped off on a deal on here and once the moderators got involved and he fed them lies as well he was launched.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
i would PUT MY REPUTATION ON THE LINE that Joe was not aware of the issues..

+

You bought a cobra that runs low 10s with the stock motor.. there is always a chance that something isnt right.. it was a "as is" sale... just remove the intercooler core, repair or replace it, change the oil, and go drive it..

Wayne64SS

Established Member
i don't see the point of this thread, a) if you don't know enough about cobras to know what the problem is IMMEDIATELY, you shouldn't have bought the car.

b) it's an easy and relatively cheap fix.

just fix the car man, then go out and enjoy it.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
When the economy gets bad and people need cash, they don't care who they burn. Hopefully the former owner has some decency left in him and makes it right.

you are so wrong with this statement and Joe... Joe does quite well financially and I am very confident he isn't hurting.. He is a VERY good guy.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Ugh... I feel your pain. Sounds like you should've done a more thorough inspection, but still it sounds like a lot was undisclosed. Hopefully the problem isn't as bad as you think.

FYI... this is why I bought from a dealer. If I received the car in any condition other than described, my credit union would send the car back and I'd get my money back.

Black Sex

Established Member
When you get it fixed, but before you start it I would recomend pulling the plugs and turning the motor over by hand. If the cylinders are full of coolant, then it wont snap your rods.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
the previous owner might not of known.

i had a bad experince once.. traded my old 99 v6 mustang for a 98 firebird.. i had a fasincation with firebirds/trans ams back then... after i signed the title...he tells me how it overheats if u sit at a red light for too long.

so i had a overheating problem..had to install a manual fan switch. it fixed it but still...

got it home.. there was no fuel cap. autozone and auto stores didnt have one to fit it. so i found one of a trans am later on.

my bro-in-law at GM did a search on the cars vin..and it was totalled not too long ago. he didnt tell me that either.

the car started missing/sputtering too on the 2nd day

i've learned to do research for now on.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Playing devil's advocate for the seller here - if the car was rarely driven, it would've been very hard to know this problem existed. If it was driven every day, meticulously maintained, etc. etc. - then yeah, but if it went to Dairy Queen one Saturday a month.... a leaking intercooler could easily go undetected.

I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers and demand this and that.... just fix it and move on, next time you'll know not to rush when inspecting a used car for sale.

allgo

Established Member
Here you go here is my one post on this... buyer comes down to look at car spends 4 hours looking car over top to bottom with friend, we drive down road 2 to 3 miles and come back car runs starts idles drives perfect no problems what so ever all gauges temps fine.. this guy looks over car harder then anyone I have been around. Less then a week later buyer comes down we take car out again for a drive come back everything is fine again no problems what so ever, then load on trailor 100% fine and running. Buyer takes off and texts me 3 days later after I told him to not hammer on the car cause the fuel has been in car all winter needs to be drained texts me why is the car blowing some red rust out and breaking up in high rpms.. I say did you drain fuel he says no, I say well you need to do that before you beat it like I said.. then 7 days from the purchase the buyer texts me about water in the oil, I say the car has set all winter there is proable moisture in the crankcase from setting in a cold garage common, then 4 days later after owning the car and beating it calls me and says car wont start, well it ran 100% perfect when it left I dont know what to tell you, car was sold as is no warrenty. I am not trying to be a dick here but come on the intercooler pump is wired right this I know cause it is from the factory no aftermarket. And you can not get a oil test back from the test source in 3 days this I know... So I wanted to help you out but you get on here like a little girl and cry to all the members here who will only get your half and my half of the story, so they can make there own decisions on what really went down.. and thanks bob for the kind words, I would and have never sold a car with something wrong with it...

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Replace the intercooler. Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over with the starter. Get as much of the water out of the engine as possible. Change the oil. Do a compression test. This will tell you to some degree wither or not engine damage has occured. I think you might get lucky. Dont worry about suing the only people that will come out ahead are the lawyers.

945LSTANG

Established Member
^ may want to check these ASAP. Some states require the car to be able to pass inspection within 7 days of purchase etc, or you can get your money back. I bet with all that coolant in the intake it won't pass inspection, one way to get the $ back.

you're forgetting that it sat for over 7 days before he found out. besides...i doubt that has anything to do with the OPs situation anyways. everyone always tries to point fingers when $hit hits the fan, but theres no one to point at but the OP in this case. i can't believe someone would trust anyone when spending that kind of money. sucks none the less...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've unfortunately read more than one thread like this since 2002 here. If all of the actual facts are not clearly presented then it is impossible to put the blame where it probably belongs. It's easier to assign blame when all of the facts are clearly presented and the time-line is clear. When that doesn't happen, people end up pointing fingers or make unfair judgments. I'm just saying.

One thing is for sure. The advice given by many here to spend more time getting the problem fixed is golden. I say suspend any more posts in this thread, let the OP follow our advice to find and fix the problem (seems rather simple to do at this point), and go from there. I predict that things will be a lot less heated once the problem is fixed and the car is running. JMO.

UncleDan

Established Member
Previous owner probably had no idea about the problem... I mean, why on earth would anyone sell a car hiding a major issue knowing that the seller will come back to bite you in the ass for it? Especially in the Cobra market... this isn't your average Joe salesman type guys running around. Most Cobra owners are enthusiasts, and I highly doubt many of them would let a car go with a huge problem, unless the buyer was aware of it.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
There is a difference between sold as is and deceptive trade practices. I'm pretty sure this qualifies because all issues with a vehicle when being sold have to be declared. He can't really try the "I didn't know bullcrap" because it could be easily established that he is very knowledgeable with these vehicles. Of course, this is if you decide to sue him. Immediate recourse? None. Sorry.

mtnrunner

Established Member
only 3 weeks ago i sold my 04 kb cobra... guy flew out from california bought the car and drove it back.

635hp cobra 30 some hours... i know now not to think everyone is as good of a seller as me.

Jeremy this is Sachin, I came out with Kevin when he bought your car.

We drove the car 2300 miles in 37 hours and had zero problems! Jeremy is a stand up guy and told us everything about the car, so I will for sure support him as a seller any day and would gladly purchase from him.

I hope things work out for you in the end because you sold a perfect car to kevin and would expect good things too come back to you.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Jeremy this is Sachin, I came out with Kevin when he bought your car.

We drove the car 2300 miles in 37 hours and had zero problems! Jeremy is a stand up guy and told us everything about the car, so I will for sure support him as a seller any day and would gladly purchase from him.

I hope things work out for you in the end because you sold a perfect car to kevin and would expect good things too come back to you.

thank you.

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Seems like you need to have a man to man talk with the original owner and find out what happened. Sounds like he did everything right by allowing you to drive it 2x and look it over for 4 hours. Could be just a freak accident. He seems to be a stand up guy.

Users who are viewing this thread