got screwed on car sale by member! i need your help!

racebronco2

Established Member
You had a few rides in the car, did he even go into boost for more them a few seconds? A friends intercooler pump went out and it would boost for a few seconds and then go into limp mode because the heat exchanger temps were to high. It might be that the heat exchanger could've cracked due to freezing, leaked into the cylinder and went past the rings into the crankcase. The car probably wouldn't turn over on the first try because it might have been on the verge of hydro-lock.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
i am not trying to be a jerk... but i am very angry. trying to have a cool head about everything!

but it is hard to not throw my hand through a wall

justified behavior considering the situation. Hope u get it worked out man

Nautilusvt

Converted
Established Member
if the engine is hyro locked .... then what!

Then the problem gets a little more complicated... But, being angry isn't going to get you anywhere. You should start by finding the problem first, this could be a couple hundred dollar fix. Who pays for the fix, at this point who cares... find the problem and find how serious the damage is before blowing up.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Then the problem gets a little more complicated... But, being angry isn't going to get you anywhere. You should start by finding the problem first, this could be a couple hundred dollar fix. Who pays for the fix, at this point who cares... find the problem and find how serious the damage is before blowing up.

if the whipple comes off... fix the ic, and it starts can it lead to more problems?

how would i know if itmessed up the bearings, or valves until it was to late?

Nautilusvt

Converted
Established Member
if the whipple comes off... fix the ic, and it starts can it lead to more problems?

how would i know if itmessed up the bearings, or valves until it was to late?

Don't start the car again... Pull the blower off, pull IC off and just find the problem. Don't try to fix it just yet, but atleast you'll know where you stand. You already have $$$$ invested in this car with the cage...etc after the $$$ you paid for the car so the situation is a little beyond the "give me my money back" stage. I understand you're angry... but having been in a similar situation before I know getting angry annd possibly blowing up at the guy over the phone can only make it worse.

The simple answer to your question is yes... it can lead to FINDING more problems, but you probably aren't going to cause any more problems. If there is damage there... it's already done. Find whats causing the problem before you proceed.

For the few minutes you had the car running before putting it in the shop... how did the car run? Did it idle smooth? did it smoke?

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
What do you want to get out of this OP? Do you want ur money back or do you want him to pay for the repairs needed?

help pay repairs... 100%, 75% something!

besides the cost of the car, new fuel lines, fittings, ect., i have my own money into the car. im not looking to get 26k back... but ineed a working car. at least part of the money to fix the danm thing.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
You have to just take the first step and like many have said pull the blower and start the process to see how bad the damage is! good luck.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
holly fock dude, if you puked out that much water that quick, you can snap rods pretty quick by sucking up water. i hope the motor isnt hurt internally for you.
keep us posted in the WI thread.

good luck man, but i kinda had a bad feeling when you were looking at it. not to say i told you so or anything, but it felt like you were rushing to buy a car.

I really hope it works out for you man. and like i said keep us posted, and let me know if you need any help....even if its just throwing bricks through his windows:)

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
holly fock dude, if you puked out that much water that quick, you can snap rods pretty quick by sucking up water. i hope the motor isnt hurt internally for you.
keep us posted in the WI thread.

good luck man, but i kinda had a bad feeling when you were looking at it. not to say i told you so or anything, but it felt like you were rushing to buy a car.

I really hope it works out for you man. and like i said keep us posted, and let me know if you need any help....even if its just throwing bricks through his windows:)

thanks j.... i might give you a call tomorrow or text you.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
OP, it sucks to see you get burned like this, but if you are paying 26k cash for a vehicle you should have driven it more than 2 minutes and checked over evrything, all fluids, etc before handing over the cash. without any proof of talks about any problems before the sale, it is gonna be hard to pin this on the seller. At this point, whats done is done and the seller doesnt have any real legal obligation to you or the car anymore. i say, pull the ic off and check it out. it does sound like a cracked/damaged ic. Hopefully, that is the extent of your problems and yea it will cost a few hundred to replace it but it could be worse. then get that bad boy in tip top shape and rip it down the track!

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
only 3 weeks ago i sold my 04 kb cobra... guy flew out from california bought the car and drove it back.

635hp cobra 30 some hours... i know now not to think everyone is as good of a seller as me.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
:shrug:best of luck to u man

but i think u need to move on and just pay for it:shrug:

u bought a used car, on top of that it has heavy mods/ :shrug:

When the economy gets bad and people need cash, they don't care who they burn. Hopefully the former owner has some decency left in him and makes it right.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
1st The previous owner isnt responsible at all. It was up to you to ensure you got a good deal. He was just selling a car.

2nd With the amount of time vested in this post bitching and moaning you could have gotten out there and pulled the blower off and inspected the inter cooler.

Instead of trying to point fingers and bitch on the internet I would be out fixing my $26k purchase I just messed up and made.

Now lets sit back and think, its probably an intercooler, you have only drove the car a few short laps. No damage should have been done. Unless you had so much water in the engine it seriously locked up when trying to crank it over you are pretty good.

All in all you are $500 away and 4 hours of work from getting your car back up and running right.

To top it all off, you purchased a HIGHLY modded car. You should have known better to perform a COMPLETE inspection of the car to the point of a compression and leak down. Its not like you went and bought a 14k pulley swapped factory car. You bought a SRA, auto, large blower car with probably the hardest and harshest 14k miles one could think of.

Best of luck however you handle the situation.

uofipilot

Established Member
Is this the same "allgo" that is the uncle of the kid who sold the 97 Cobra with the built 03 motor (the car that was for sale forever by the owner here in Chicago) with undisclosed issues? I'm thinking it is.

Too funny. Sorry OP. After researching this jamoke on here, you should have avoided that guy like the plague. Hope it works out, but from what I remember from the last thread like this (where his nephew was the ass-hat selling a jacked up car under false pretenses), its not going to. I guess you never get the full story on the interwebs, but just the way this guy responds in the thread below makes me think he's a dick. Could be wrong though.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...8-97-cobra-03-cobra-engine-6.html#post9351367

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
This is what is wrong with the car after reading your 1st post, and cutting out alot of the other stuff in this thread.

The intercooler is cracked. It puked 1 gallon of intercooler fluid out of the exhaust cause the IC core was cracked.

With the intercooler in this busted status The car wouldnt even of ran in this "broken" state before you took delivery on the test rides if you get what im saying.

Im speaking from personal experience, cause I had my cobra stored, and the intercooler and heat exchanger both cracked and dumped alot of water into the motor. THE CAR WOULDNT RUN and puked water out of the exhaust. It was my fault....tough to say, but you have no factual proof that the core didnt crack when you drove it or after you took delivery. He can say the same thing. Although im 101% sure that the car wouldnt of ran with a cracked core if and when he owned it.

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
This is what is wrong with the car after reading your 1st post, and cutting out alot of the other stuff in this thread.

The intercooler is cracked. It puked 1 gallon of intercooler fluid out of the exhaust cause the IC core was cracked.

With the intercooler in this busted status The car wouldnt even of ran in this "broken" state before you took delivery on the test rides if you get what im saying.

Im speaking from personal experience, cause I had my cobra stored, and the intercooler and heat exchanger both cracked and dumped alot of water into the motor. THE CAR WOULDNT RUN and puked water out of the exhaust. It was my fault....tough to say, but you have no factual proof that the core didnt crack when you drove it or after you took delivery. He can say the same thing. Although im 101% sure that the car wouldnt of ran with a cracked core if and when he owned it.

He said the I/C system was bone dry though. I would imagine it would run (can't see how it would run well enough to want to buy it though) if the I/C was cracked and all the water was gone.

Also, he noticed it was empty, filled it, and then started the car. I'm guessing that without coolant in the I/C system already at the intercooler, the car would fire and run, and probably would continue to run and simply run all the I/C coolant through the motor (assuming the crack was small enough to allow that). Kind of like seaform or something along those lines. As long as the crack wasn't huge, I could see how the motor would run long enough to spit all the water out of the exhaust.

And gray oil/rusty pipes/nothing in the tank makes one believe that some water has gone through it before this guy bought it.

Agreed with what most are saying...its all here-say now, so OP, you're pretty much SOL. Change the I/C, run it easy for a bit, change the oil a couple times, and keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I agree it was probably an underlying condition that the prior owner may or may not of had knowledge of, whether or not that is the story here who knows. I dont think it would of ran good enough if it had water in it, without putting on a steamshow when he test drove it.

My car wouldnt run when the core was cracked, even after the water had gone thru it, it acted like a huge vacuum leak.

Be interesting how this pans out

Users who are viewing this thread