got screwed on car sale by member! i need your help!

Marc

Established Member
Wow...I just read the entire thread. I can't believe the seller didn't know some of the things were wrong with this car before he sold it. I have bought and sold more cars than I can remember. When I sell a car, I start off with the "bads" of the car. Meaning, I tell the new buyer what the imperfections of the car are. I don't want him coming back to me saying I screwed him. I then tell him the goods. The bad thing is that the car is bought "as is" and sometimes buyers get the bad end of the deal. Case in point: I drove across state lines and drove a blown 95GTS. The car drive fine at the time. I paid cash. Drove 3 hours (with my wife in the car so no I didn't "get on it") and the motor went south in my buddie's performance shop. We tore it apart and found many things wrong with it to include none of the port work as promised (up/low intakes, heads, etc...). Now the guy did send me a little cash for the port work that was claimed to be done, but it was minimal. And his creditability was blown to shit then. That car ended up costing me thousands to get right...hell, the supercharger blew up next, and other things went. I ended up selling the car before I went to Japan because I couldn't deal with it. I learned a big lesson. Don't trust anyone and if you don't know a whole lot about a motor (like me), to get it checked out first. A couple of hundred dollars taking it to a reputable shop would of saved me thousands.

My integrity means a lot to me. I do think the seller owes it to the buyer to help try and resolve this. Once you lose your integrity, it can take a lifetime to get it back. I don't know if he knew about the crack, but come on...some of that other stuff he would of known about. Even me being stupid on some of this stuff would of known.

IACobra

Established Member
Not taking sides, but the buyer didn't know the issues I highlighted? I believe he said that he thoroughly checked out the car. At least a couple of these should have been noticed, like the ABS light being on and the brake light being on. :??:

that came to my mind as well. Buyer and friend said they spent over 4 hours looking at the car....

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
like dirty 5.0 said.... some of the things listed and talked about in the post above, we things i knew about.

but were not reasons not to buy a car, just loose ends that needed to be taken care of.

dezracer

If it makes evil feel any better, I bought a restored 1960 Willys 4x4 3 months ago. Seemed good when I drove it down the street, but he ownwer did tell me that when he had the front diff cover pulled during resto, that he noticed the ring gear was missing a tooth. Did not seem to be hurting anything though and the front axle worked just fine when locked in. Did I go find some dirt and lock the fornt axle in to check it out? NO!

So the first time I took it out to a sand pit with some snow the whole thing grenaded. Even put a hole in the front diff housing. Ever try to find an axle for a 1960 Willys. It aint easy but I did and still had to rebuild the the whole damn thing. Parts? $1,080. Labor? $800. What did I pay for the Willys $7,000.

Jus sayin....Shet happens and it sucks when it does. At least I have a new front end I guess. :beer:

IACobra

Established Member
I think it will help with several issues..what will it hurt to try it? if it doesnt do what it is designed to do then it can always be discontinued..

but I think we own it to oursevles to take the negative posting when there is an incident to be solved off the table by moving it to a private forum where it can be dealt with under the watchful eye of the admin staff.. no one enjoys or appreciates the drama it creates for the site..

don't think this would help much. If buyer & seller will not communicate via pm's, email, phone, text, etc., this "private forum" concept will not help the cause.

If they cannot communicate, and the seller feels deceived, the BEST solution is to gather your evidence, facts, info, and take it to court.

Simple as that.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
don't think this would help much. If buyer & seller will not communicate via pm's, email, phone, text, etc., this "private forum" concept will not help the cause.

If they cannot communicate, and the seller feels deceived, the BEST solution is to gather your evidence, facts, info, and take it to court.

Simple as that.

it would go something like this:
Judge "plaintif would you state your case"
Evil "yes your honor, the race car i bought broke after i got it home"
Judge "race car? Case dismissed"

DIRTY 5.0

Established Member
it would go something like this:
Judge "plaintif would you state your case"
Evil "yes your honor, the race car i bought broke after i got it home"
Judge "race car? Case dismissed"

Race Car???? :bs: I dont know what you consider a "race car" but i would say that an 03 cobra slammed to the ground, with 18's on it, no cage, working AC, stock interior, and prob getting 15mpg or better is FAR from a "race car" but thats just me. :shrug:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Race Car???? :bs: I dont know what you consider a "race car" but i would say that an 03 cobra slammed to the ground, with 18's on it, no cage, working AC, stock interior, and prob getting 15mpg or better is FAR from a "race car" but thats just me. :shrug:

feel free to replace "race car" with "extremely modified high performance car built for the track and street." ITS GOT A 3.4 WHIPPLE, SOLID AXLE, AND AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!! thats what i consider a race car. i suppose those are all components of terminators that are built for cruising and not racing. all it needs is john force behind the wheel.

DIRTY 5.0

Established Member
feel free to replace "race car" with "extremely modified high performance car built for the track and street." ITS GOT A 3.4 WHIPPLE, SOLID AXLE, AND AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!! thats what i consider a race car. i suppose those are all components of terminators that are built for cruising and not racing. all it needs is john force behind the wheel.

LOL Damn! if thats all it takes to make a race car then I have spent WAY to much money and time building my race cars and ones for others! I wish someone would have clued me in earlier!

1. 3.4 Whipple... deff a streetable blower, I dont see to many true heads up class built Race Cars with a Whipple, or any kind of twin screw blower for that matter. Its not like the car has a Procharger F3R or a 118mm Turbo.

2. Solid axle.... its an 8.8 out of a GT, not a Fab 9" with a spool and 35 spline axles! Plenty worthy of cruising, all of the GT's ive ever been in have drove down the road just fine.

3.Automatic trans... Its a Ford 4R70W that has over drive! That trans also just so happens to come in other cars that im pretty sure Ford built for street use not the track. Its not like the car has a Liberity or a Bruno trans in it.

Evil goes to the track...
Tech guy: "nice car buddy, so how fast is it?"
Evil: "Im pretty sure it will go 10's sir."
Tech Guy: "10's... and no cage???"
Evil: "Well sir, ya see I dont need a cage... I have a 3.4 Whipple, solid axle, and even an automatic trans with working over drive, im pretty sure that makes my car a race car!" :burn:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Evil goes to the track...
Tech guy: "nice car buddy, so how fast is it?"
Evil: "Im pretty sure it will go 10's sir."
Tech Guy: "10's... and no cage???"
Evil: "Well sir, ya see I dont need a cage... I have a 3.4 Whipple, solid axle, and even an automatic trans with working over drive, im pretty sure that makes my car a race car!" :burn:
Tech Guy: "well sir, you're race car needs a cage, and dont come back until it has one"

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

Simple as that.

and maybe if there had been a private forum overseen by admin staff they would not have stopped communicating and a resolution could have been reached..mediation helps difuse a situation with unbiased and impartial imput of a nuetral party
in this case they were talking until this thread was posted

why say this would fail without even trying it? that just seems like negative thinking..neither member or vendors respond well when negatively attacked about an issue.
this site is only trying to help members with constructive ways to deal with member and vendor issues

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
dwight i respect you and you have really helped me in the past with some other issues... with a life and working 40 + hours, and living 75 miles away from the speed shop where my car has been. not to mention the previos obligations of the shop with on going projects they were already involved in... i didnt have the time to throw everything down and only concentrate on the car.

im sorry i posted this when i was upset but the seller wasn't gettting back to me, and if that wasn't the right thing to do in your eyes, well then im sorry...

and knowing the crowd of svtp if i would have handled it in a private matter then maybe nobody would have believed me because i didn't come forward right away. i was already getting bashed because all of this didn't happend the second i bought the car.

but what happend, happend... it is sad not everyone is trustworth, and that members on here expect to be screwed over.

Jeremy, I understand where you're coming from, as well as the emotions of discovering that there were issues with the car that you were not aware of, regardless of when they happened. I based my comments on experiences that I've had and have had to deal with with others, but also because I've discussed this with the seller.

Unless the seller literally comes right off and tells you "tough luck", there is just a much, much better chance of a palatable resolution if all the facts are discovered and shared between buyer/seller, and the communication remains private and respectful. Granted, there are times when a fair resolution doesn't happen, and this is when it's time to inform the community so as to educate/protect them from a similiar situation happening to them.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
and maybe if there had been a private forum overseen by admin staff they would not have stopped communicating and a resolution could have been reached..mediation helps difuse a situation with unbiased and impartial imput of a nuetral party
in this case they were talking until this thread was posted

why say this would fail without even trying it? that just seems like negative thinking..neither member or vendors respond well when negatively attacked about an issue.
this site is only trying to help members with constructive ways to deal with member and vendor issues

Linn, I'll add that when a thread (like this) draws in a lot of people who don't have a lot of the facts, comments are made that can provoke either or both parties, or other members. And that just isn't conducive to the two affected parties to communicate one on one. A private mediation forum would do more to encourage one to one communication and try to reach an agreement. This thread is an example of how it shouldn't work. We now need an example of how it CAN work for both parties, privately. So yeah, I say why not try a mediation forum. Although it wouldn't have any legal power, with the right mediators it would be a much more positive method of resolving differences, and maintaining friendships and trust. JMO.

Last edited:

IACobra

Established Member
Linn, I'll add that when a thread (like this) draws in a lot of people who don't have a lot of the facts, comments are made that can provoke either or both parties, or other members. And that just isn't conducive to the two affected parties to communicate one on one. A private mediation forum would do more to encourage one to one communication and try to reach an agreement. This thread is an example of how it shouldn't work. We now need an example of how it CAN work for both parties, privately. So yeah, I say why not try a mediation forum. Although it wouldn't have any legal power, with the right mediators it would be a much more positive method of resolving differences, and maintaining friendships and trust. JMO.

you two are missing the point of mediation here...what motivation does the seller have in using a mediator? He sold a car "as is," and felt he was honest in the presentation of the car. He's moving on. the seller now has to decide to either accept it "as is," or take legal action if he feels he has proof that he had been deceived, which is NOT the same as "as is".

As for all the dumb comments about it being a race car, there is no exclusion in a court of law about a car, and it's inferred use, when deciding if deceptive practices were used to sell the "item."

Linn- not being negative, just being practical and logical. Don't take offense if someone disagrees with your idea. Mediation can help in certain instances--- i just don't think this is one of them.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
you two are missing the point of mediation here...what motivation does the seller have in using a mediator? He sold a car "as is," and felt he was honest in the presentation of the car. He's moving on. the seller now has to decide to either accept it "as is," or take legal action if he feels he has proof that he had been deceived, which is NOT the same as "as is".

As for all the dumb comments about it being a race car, there is no exclusion in a court of law about a car, and it's inferred use, when deciding if deceptive practices were used to sell the "item."

Linn- not being negative, just being practical and logical. Don't take offense if someone disagrees with your idea. Mediation can help in certain instances--- i just don't think this is one of them.

you are correct in saying that this is now an after the fact situation..I am saying that it might have gone differently if there had been a mediation forum to go to instead of the route that was taken..
why do you assume that I am taking offense.. I am not..Just because I brought it up in this thread doesnt mean that it was my idea..there are other sites who already use an arbitration forum for member and vendor disputes.. Im just trying to get mature dialog going about an arbitraion/mediation forum..
the negativity I see is that the whole idea is being cast aside without ever even being tried.. what is there to lose by trying? why not make the effort first..then judge as to its merits?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

I would think the motivation for the seller would be the possibiliy of having his rep tarnished or being removed as a member of ths site..you would have to ask the buyer what he actually hoped to gain by posting this thread..did he want the sale voided and his money back? did he want monetary compensation ? did he want people to know the seller cant be trusted?( and that has yet to be established) and what did he actually get by posting this thread? why did he not just go straight to court instead of posting a thread like this?

All Im saying is there can be a better way to handle these incidents in the future..why not give it a chance? most people shut down when attacked..then there is no chance of communication..I suppose that you cant imagine that until it happens to you but it is not pleasant to have your integrity questioned in front of the world
you bring up some good points about deceptive sales practices but there is no evidence that the seller has ever done that in any past dealings.. it would seem to me that the difference between being deceptive and being unaware of issues would be very hard to prove..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread