got screwed on car sale by member! i need your help!

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
about a week and a half ago i bought my latest cobra... an 03 redfire cobra from a member allgo here on svtp.

after going for two rides in the car looking it over here and there i bought the car.

after bringing it to my friends shop where it has sat the entire time i started wanting to make it my own.

painted the back of the sumped tank, welded in a anti roll bar, took all the cheap push lock hoses and lines on the car and replaced them with some great looking steel braided line and differnent fittings as well. remounted the fuel regulator, ect. ect. ect., doing a lot of little things.

and in the mean time the car has sat the interior time!

so the first day it sat in the shop we changed the oil....:fm: the oil was grayish in color. no idea what it could be. i contacted the old owner and he said oh "that is moisture from sitting." and it was "very common", so i changed the oil and had some of the oil that was in it sent out and tested.

also the inside of the exhaust was redish... rusted almost.

also the the heat exchanger resevoir was empty... the old owner said the car was rarely driven.. so i thought oh it just evaporated. put some more in. used the relay in the fuse to circulate water into the engine. and that was the last time key was even turned!

so today the shop had everything done... they started it up to make sure everything was ok.

the car wouldn't start on the first try... then on the second try the exhaust puked out about a gallon+ of water! all of the water that was in the heat exchanger resevoir is now empty. the resevoir was so tight it was everything they could do to open it. there is a leak somewhere, acting like a vacum in the engine. water has to have sucked into wherever it is leaking from and filled though the exhaust valves, and out the exhaust!

im pretty pissed!

the old owner says he didnt know anything about it and it was all fine.

but now the rusted out exhaust, the milky gray oil, and the empty resevoir all adds up. there is a reason the car acted fine, because there was no water in the resevoir.

svtp what should i do
... im pretty pissed!

the old owner joe.... allgo, will not admit to anything!:mj:

-jeremy

Last edited:

jimc04

Established Member
wow i can't understand how people can be so scummy. to buy a car with problems like that and call him to ask whats up and he tells you it was fine:mj::mj::mj::mj::mj:

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
So you are saying you have leak in the innercooler system and its leaking into the engine and out the exhaust? Did I get that right? but when you test drove the car the reservoir was empty and drove fine? Why didn't you check the reservoir to begin with? or why did you test drive with a dry reservoir? That sucks you got hosed, and def. is not right of the seller but something doesn't sound right... or my reading comprehension is no good today....

stangaholic280

Established Member
Confront him in person? Tell him you want your money back? Probably won't work, but may be worth a shot.

If you got the dough I guess you could try court. Not sure how stuff like this pans out usually though.

dusty158

Established Member
man that sucks... how heavily moddified was the car? All those mods may look & sounds great... but its just a red flag "car has been raped"!!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Either way yank that blower and check the IC asap. Then fix it and run the car and change the oil as many times as needed for it to come out looking like new.

If you don't you'll really be in a bad situation as now everything still may be fine!

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Either way yank that blower and check the IC asap. Then fix it and run the car and change the oil as many times as needed for it to come out looking like new.

If you don't you'll really be in a bad situation as now everything still may be fine!

+1...How many miles are on the car??

postalbunny

Established Member
+1, learned my lesson... had my car checked out by a dealer only to find a stuck exhaust valve later with a compression/leakdown test. Always have the car checked out by a mechanic before you buy it.

On the other hand, if the intercooler is empty and water is coming out the exhaust hopefully you just have a leaking intercooler, and the fluid is leaking into the intake and getting into the engine that way... being pumped out the exhaust.

Time to take it to a good mechanic and start t/s, if you bought it "as is" then it's now your problem unless you can prove the previous owner knew about it. Which will be hard..., if you can prove it was emptied when he had you test drive it etc... but that doesn't necessarily prove he knew about it either.

He may have just been retarded. You're best bet is to have it diagnosed, fixed.. then call the previous owner while recording the conversation and try to get him to fess up, or at lest lie enough to give you 'more likely than not" evidence for small claims.

Black Sex

Established Member
Deffinetly get the the leak fixed. Did the IC system have coolant or water in it? Coolant eats rod and main bearings

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
14k on the car for the guy that asked.

most likely the intake was cracked or the intercooler, correct?

do you think the water messed up all the bearings?

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
distilled water no coolant. but this obviously wasn't the first time this happend... and i dont know what was in it when it originaly happend.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
14k on the car for the guy that asked.

mosr likely the intake w was cracked or the intercooler, correct?

do you think the water messed up all the bearings?

Im no mechanic but if its water no. Green coolant is bad on bearings and dexcool (orange) isnt as bad but its still not good. There are two little pipes on the front of the lower intake that go into the intercooler. If they are leaking then it will dump all of you intercooler fluid into the lower intake which will get sucked up, causing it to burn coolant. That would be where all the water coming from out of the exhaust. Did the car have a miss after you filled the IC system and then it was empty?

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
***EDIT! Looks like Joe had two Terminators......This one is Redfire, the one discribed below is Torch Red.

I know this car well. Spent a lot of time at the track with this one. This is one of the fastest Terminators in history. JRS BLOWN SNAKE was the original builder and ran 8.70's at 150+ MPH with it. This car has probably not been driven on the street in nearly three years. Although argueably streetable this Cobra is pretty much a race car.

I know Joe ran a 8.90 back in November, but not sure if it's been driven/raced much since then. When JR sold it, I don't think it even had a heat exchanger in it. It had a 5 gallon cell in the trunk that he used to put 10 gallons of ice in on every run that was pumped directly into the intercooler. Sounds like a ruptured intercooler but I think Joe had Kurgan tune it on a dyno back in March and doubt if freezing temps were a factor after that session.

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
I know this car well. Spent a lot of time at the track with this one. This is one of the fastest Terminators in history. JRS BLOWN SNAKE was the original builder and ran 8.70's at 150+ MPH with it. This car has probably not been driven on the street in nearly three years. Although argueably streetable this Cobra is pretty much a race car.

I know Joe ran a 8.90 back in November, but not sure if it's been driven/raced much since then. When JR sold it, I don't think it even had a heat exchanger in it. It had a 5 gallon cell in the trunk that he used to put 10 gallons of ice in on every run that was pumped directly into the intercooler. Sounds like a ruptured intercooler but I think Joe had Kurgan tune it on a dyno back in March and doubt if freezing temps were a factor after that session.

this guy has lots of cars... this is not jrs old car. this is a different 03 cobra

945LSTANG

Established Member
you rode in the car twice, looked it over, and still bought it. this is your problem, not his. you could have easily walked away. your story doesn't make sense to me either. so did you do all that work before trying to start the car? set me straight...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah, sorry bout that Evil.

I assume it seemed okay when you took it for your 2 test drives. I've seen 4 ruptured intercoolers due to freezing temps with water in the intercooler system and eventually, the car won't run. Had any freezing nights up there in Wisconsin in the last 2 weeks???

Users who are viewing this thread