FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

squeak93

Established Member
I am headed to the track tonight ... weather permitting with a 12 prem auto car that is 100% stock. I also have a power pack shipping out today so hopefully i can get some before and after numbers soon. Our air is shit in sw mo this time of year so the gains should show a worst case scenario.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Does the procal void extended warrenty?

In theory yes since Ford Racing only covers tune-related warranty issues for 3/36 and Ford MoCo could technically deny coverage. Seems like most people feed Ford would be unlikely to cancel coverage, but they could.

5.0jake

Established Member
In theory yes since Ford Racing only covers tune-related warranty issues for 3/36 and Ford MoCo could technically deny coverage. Seems like most people feed Ford would be unlikely to cancel coverage, but they could.
Your 60k or extended powertrain warranty isn't void just for having the Procal but if there was a powetrain failure and the Procal was to blame after 36k miles coverage could be denied. The good news is failure rates while having the Procal seems to be non existent. :read:

Davey

Established Member
This is my first American car I've had since the year I got my license, first new American car ever, and it will surely be my last if Ford decide to be dicks and deny warranty coverage for the powertrain over a tune that nets like 19 whp or whatever.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Airaid/Procal

click

Stock intake with K&N/Procal

12GTProCalDyno.jpg

Peak numbers are similar, but TQ curve down low looks a lot different. Wonder if the Airaid is hurting it.

2k3Mach

Established Member
how much worse?

and to my understanding the ProCal isn't like a SCT, etc device where you can overwrite tunes.

Eh, right now shows 22.4 mpg on mix of city/highway with my exhaust cleaning the dirt off the road every chance I get.

As far as tuning, I meant using the current frpp tuned ecm as a base file to tweak rather that and using stock tune. Seems the frpp tune has more down low torque than most tunes. Like reading it with an sct tuner, then working off that and datalogs to identify ping and add fuel or reduce timing and gaining power in other places where possible... would this be of benefit or is it even possible?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

noco5.0

Established Member
Just joined this forum. I bought a 2012 Mustang GT Premium a couple of weeks ago. Had the Ford Racing tune installed by the dealer this morning. I'm pretty happy with it. It definitely wakes up the bottom end and has crisper throttle response. I also hated the stupid skip shift feature which is now gone. For a $400 investment of which I can get 75 back if I choose to sell the tuner back I think it's awesome. I'll probably keep the car just like this for the next 3 years and then we'll go from there. The car is alot more fun to drive now which is what I was after.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Eh, right now shows 22.4 mpg on mix of city/highway with my exhaust cleaning the dirt off the road every chance I get.

As far as tuning, I meant using the current frpp tuned ecm as a base file to tweak rather that and using stock tune. Seems the frpp tune has more down low torque than most tunes. Like reading it with an sct tuner, then working off that and datalogs to identify ping and add fuel or reduce timing and gaining power in other places where possible... would this be of benefit or is it even possible?

3.73's, and are you reseting after every fill up? I don't get anywhere near that with mine, but then again not overly concerned about it.

I average 17.5 with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy.

llzub

Established Member
This is my first American car I've had since the year I got my license, first new American car ever, and it will surely be my last if Ford decide to be dicks and deny warranty coverage for the powertrain over a tune that nets like 19 whp or whatever.

lol, name one manufacturer who will cover it.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Airaid/Procal

click

Stock intake with K&N/Procal

12GTProCalDyno.jpg

Peak numbers are similar, but TQ curve down low looks a lot different. Wonder if the Airaid is hurting it.

edited my post, added his other dyno sheet that I somehow missed.

Sounds like this is from the same session, which before and after of stock and procal/airaid combo. First sheet is SAE, second sheet is STD

(this is the STD sheet)
dyno2.jpg

Davey

Established Member
lol, name one manufacturer who will cover it.

Uh, I dunno, how about... Ford? :??:

You realize this tune comes with a warranty and is not supposed to void your factory warranty if installed by a Ford dealer, right?

2k3Mach

Established Member
3.31's and initially on drive home it pinged some and traffic sucked so was getting near 28-29 mpg. Since been open road and throttle to floor and avg 22-23 (which was normal driving avg before, wasn't as fun to take off with heavy foot)

ebrow21

Established Member
As I said I was going to earlier in the thread, I went to the dyno today with the procal.

Car background. 2012 Gt, automatic, just passed 1k miles. Power mods; K&N, Gt500 Mufflers and Procal. All runs in 3rd gear, I know 4th would have brought the power numbers up a little bit. Dyno wideband was at the muffler.

I did things a bit backwards, I went in with the procal tune, dyno'd it. Swapped to stock filter, dyno'd. Swapped to stock tune and K&N, and dyno'd again. The K&N was within 1hp everywhere vs stock filter. The picture is a Procal vs stock tune run (both with K&N). Runs were same atmospheric condition, within 1 degree fahrenheit.

2emh08i.jpg

Looks like it picked up power to me.

scotmach

Established Member
As I said I was going to earlier in the thread, I went to the dyno today with the procal.

Car background. 2012 Gt, automatic, just passed 1k miles. Power mods; K&N, Gt500 Mufflers and Procal. All runs in 3rd gear, I know 4th would have brought the power numbers up a little bit. Dyno wideband was at the muffler.
Looks like it picked up power to me.

But it doesn't change any of the shift points on the autos which can make a significant difference.

ebrow21

Established Member
But it doesn't change any of the shift points on the autos which can make a significant difference.

Not trying to take over the world with the FRPP tune, I'm trying to keep my warranty for a little longer until I go all out with the mods. There was some question about the gains.

Users who are viewing this thread