FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
How did the test drive go? Initial impressions?

Just got home. Here are my thoughts.

I used to do a lot of tuning with my 06 Subaru STI, and one thing I learned from that car, is "peak" horsepower and torque gains can be deceiving. If a car gained NO peak power, but the rest of the power curve was flattened out, and the bottom end brought up closer to the top, the car will gain a lot of speed. This is why a turbo charged 200 horsepower car will smoke a naturally aspirated 200 horse power car. It gets to the power faster, and builds that low end torque almost immediately. The same is true here.

There is not a lot of red-line gain in power. But for the split second I am at red-line, the other majority of the time the RPMs are building with a lot more torque and power. The power curve feels much more flattened out and the car's acceleration is greatly improved. The car is plain faster.

As far as normal driving, feels the same. Only difference is I don't have to push the pedal as much to get the car to go quickly. Feels like the car just lost 500 pounds in weight. 6th Gear is finally useful as a passing gear! It is no longer a no-power overdrive that is only good for cruising. I can actually move without having to down shift. That's nice.

WOT runs are a blast. Nothing but strong, even pulling. You can tell how much more the low end is brought up, as the car doesn't have to rev as high to make power.

I have heard no pinging. The temperature was 110 today, and I run 91 octane. There is a setting on the ProCal which can be selected for 91 octane or for pinging engines. The setting is called the Octane Adjust, and will help with timing advance. I have mine switch to YES, to control the ping. I have not tried to switch it to NO. For those who have 93 and have this turned off, you will see greater power than I am because you will have more advanced timing. I will switch it off when the cooler temperatures are here. Great feature.

Tool allows you to cailbrate for tire sizes and gear ratio as well. Thats it though. Those 3 features. Ford Engineers have done the rest for you.

I am happy. I can imagine the aftermarket tunes mixed with a CAI are even that much better, but the ProCal is great. I love my car. Power Pack and K springs make this car perfect IMHO. I refuse to believe the dyno tests where the power pack did nothing to the car. Any idiot can sit in the car before and after and tell you which one is faster. :thumbsup:

EDIT: So I was just going through the instruction sheet where it reads about the Octane Adjust. It states for all kits except part number blah and blah, (both supercharger kits) set the Octane Adjust initially to NO, until you hear audible spark knock, then go back and change it to YES as soon as possible. So, I just changed it to NO, and will see what happens. I know now there is no knock. Let's see how it holds up with the setting off with 91 octane and hell-like temps.

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Just got home. Here are my thoughts.

I used to do a lot of tuning with my 06 Subaru STI, and one thing I learned from that car, is "peak" horsepower and torque gains can be deceiving. If a car gained NO peak power, but the rest of the power curve was flattened out, and the bottom end brought up closer to the top, the car will gain a lot of speed. This is why a turbo charged 200 horsepower car will smoke a naturally aspirated 200 horse power car. It gets to the power faster, and builds that low end torque almost immediately. The same is true here.

There is not a lot of red-line gain in power. But for the split second I am at red-line, the other majority of the time the RPMs are building with a lot more torque and power. The power curve feels much more flattened out and the car's acceleration is greatly improved. The car is plain faster.

As far as normal driving, feels the same. Only difference is I don't have to push the pedal as much to get the car to go quickly. Feels like the car just lost 500 pounds in weight. 6th Gear is finally useful as a passing gear! It is no longer a no-power overdrive that is only good for cruising. I can actually move without having to down shift. That's nice.

WOT runs are a blast. Nothing but strong, even pulling. You can tell how much more the low end is brought up, as the car doesn't have to rev as high to make power.

I have heard no pinging. The temperature was 110 today, and I run 91 octane. There is a setting on the ProCal which can be selected for 91 octane or for pinging engines. The setting is called the Octane Adjust, and will help with timing advance. I have mine switch to YES, to control the ping. I have not tried to switch it to NO. For those who have 93 and have this turned off, you will see greater power than I am because you will have more advanced timing. I will switch it off when the cooler temperatures are here. Great feature.

Tool allows you to cailbrate for tire sizes and gear ratio as well. Thats it though. Those 3 features. Ford Engineers have done the rest for you.

I am happy. I can imagine the aftermarket tunes mixed with a CAI are even that much better, but the ProCal is great. I love my car. Power Pack and K springs make this car perfect IMHO. I refuse to believe the dyno tests where the power pack did nothing to the car. Any idiot can sit in the car before and after and tell you which one is faster. :thumbsup:

EDIT: So I was just going through the instruction sheet where it reads about the Octane Adjust. It states for all kits except part number blah and blah, (both supercharger kits) set the Octane Adjust initially to NO, until you hear audible spark knock, then go back and change it to YES as soon as possible. So, I just changed it to NO, and will see what happens. I know now there is no knock. Let's see how it holds up with the setting off with 91 octane and hell-like temps.
Great review, Thanks! Pretty much what I have concluded reading posts from those who have it....
The gas you are using is the "May contain 10% Ethanol" fuel right!? I am using the non-ethanol fuel from a local station that I think is gonna help the pinging once I get the Pro-Cal installed! Using the 87 oct now but Im gonna need to use the 93 when I get the tune in. I am running the ROUSH intake right now which is not that different from stock or a K&N IMHO. We will see how that works with the tuner.

5.0jake

Established Member
I have mine switch to YES, to control the ping. I have not tried to switch it to NO.

If you're happy with the Y setting you will be extremely happy with the N setting. There is quite a difference.
What gears do you have?

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
I love it. I couldn't be more happy with the car. Everything I wanted. If anyone thinks you sacrifice power for reliability with this tune, you don't. My car is very strong now. And the drivability is just like stock. My rear tires are about useless with a slam of the right foot :).

Users who are viewing this thread