FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

2k3Mach

Established Member
Went to track for first time. I had never went without procal, but...

Best I could pull on stock pirrellis and powerpack only mod was a [email protected] and had around 4-5 of 13.1's

Tried and tried to hit the 12's, but spun every time and not sure without sticky tires the procal is better than stock! Puts down more torque and just let's the tires loose. DA was just over 2400 at US 41 dragstrip in Indiana!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

86merc

Established Member
Most of the ET gains in drag racing are made in the front half of the track. If you can't leave hard it isn't going to do you any good.

For comparison, I went to GLD yesterday. The DA was around 2200'. I have made 5 passes in the car. Each one is faster than the next as I learn what the car likes. A 1.78 60' on a drag radial netted me a 12.2 @ 111. Only "power mods", I say that as they didn't really make much more power haha, are axle back, over the axle pipes with out resonators and the ProCal tune.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Most of the ET gains in drag racing are made in the front half of the track. If you can't leave hard it isn't going to do you any good.

For comparison, I went to GLD yesterday. The DA was around 2200'. I have made 5 passes in the car. Each one is faster than the next as I learn what the car likes. A 1.78 60' on a drag radial netted me a 12.2 @ 111. Only "power mods", I say that as they didn't really make much more power haha, are axle back, over the axle pipes with out resonators and the ProCal tune.

This is crazy impressive big guy :beer:How would you say your gas mileage fairs?

I went to perioa and back on one tank of gas on the stock tune which was 270 miles with the ac blasting and driving about 80mph

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
This is crazy impressive big guy :beer:How would you say your gas mileage fairs?

Thanks. I am real happy with how it is running. I can't wait to get more seat tme and fall air and sea level DA to see what I can get out of it. Not bad for a 3800# race weight.

I never drove it on the highway before the ProCal. Mileage around town did not change. And going to the track yesterday I did 75-80 mph almost the whole way. Got 24.5mpg with 3.73 gears.

Bryan was with us in his vette. He told me a little of what you have going on.

Last edited:

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
2k3mach,

Is your car auto or manual?

It would be nice if you guys can note if you are using procal with auto or manual so that way we can see the difference it make, if there is any:beer:

86merc

Established Member
I will say that it seems the cruise control wastes more gas compared to me having control of the throttle. Especially in hilly areas.

I purposely did the tricks to get better gas mileage on two consecutive tanks. I was able to get 18.5 mph to 19mph driving to work and back. No heavy traffic but the usual stop and go with traffic lights. Mostly 35-45mph when I was able to keep those speed for couple of miles. I thought that was pretty impressive for the car to get that kind of mileage. But it sucked driving with minimal throttle and shifting at 2,000 rpm. haha

On the flip side I drove the car like a idiot for a tank. Lots of throttle, shifting at 3-4K rpm every gear and staying out of 6th gear. That still only netted me just under 15.5mpg. lol

Last edited:

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
So from what I've been told, is that the pro cal doesn't do anything for auto cars to make them shift harder. Is this correct?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
What is the power difference between the Procal vs Custom SCT tune?

I would imagine a tuner could get another 15+/- HP, raise the limiter, and adjust sensors for O/R mid pipes.

You are definately limited with the ProCal, but for some of us that is fine.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I would imagine a tuner could get another 15+/- HP, raise the limiter, and adjust sensors for O/R mid pipes.

You are definately limited with the ProCal, but for some of us that is fine.

im just curious, stock for stock other then a set of mufflers im wondering which tune will the car benefit from?

2k3Mach

Established Member
2k3mach,

Is your car auto or manual?

It would be nice if you guys can note if you are using procal with auto or manual so that way we can see the difference it make, if there is any:beer:

Manual trans - 3.31 gears. I couldn't imagine having 3.73's as the 3.31's cause the tires to spin like they do!

If you go with it, get a tire for the track as well (I did get a terminator at the track though, he had me at 1/8 mile and by end I caught/passed)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
Can't wait to put mine in. Hopefully I wont have detonation issue some or should I say most peoples seem to hear with the procal. We have 93 here all day so hopefully that will help.

Sent from EVO 3D 4G using Tapatalk 2

Sly Fox

Established Member
Can't wait to put mine in. Hopefully I wont have detonation issue some or should I say most peoples seem to hear with the procal. We have 93 here all day so hopefully that will help.

93 oct here too so that's the tune I'm going to use. Don't think I'll encounter any pinging or det

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member

No you were correct with only some. And You can correct the slight ping in most instances.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
So what is the general consensus for a manual car? A friend wants to sell me his procal, and I think I may pick it up tomorrow. I already have the GT500 exhaust and the drop-in, so this would complete the power pack. I am concearned because I am in AZ, with 91 octane.

atistang

Established Member
So what is the general consensus for a manual car? A friend wants to sell me his procal, and I think I may pick it up tomorrow. I already have the GT500 exhaust and the drop-in, so this would complete the power pack. I am concearned because I am in AZ, with 91 octane.

from what i hear (i dont have a procal or any tune right now) the procal doesnt do much up top, but it dose a lot down low where the 5.0 is really lacking.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Well, I just flashed with the procal! I already had the GT500 exhaust and the K&N air filter, so less the oil filter and I now have a complete Power Pack.

BTW, my ProCal was used so yes you can use them like an aftermarket tuner on another car once the flashed car is put back to stock. It even says this in the instructions, just has to be the same PCM model (as stated previously).

Let's go test this baby out! I'm excited to have this part. With this and my Ford Racing K springs, all my mods are Ford products.

Users who are viewing this thread