FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

5.0jake

Established Member
So seeing as the most noticeable difference on this tune is its torque at low rpm versus the peak hp gains on other aftermarket tunes. How does the torque gain compare to tunes from AED or Steeda? are the other aftermarket tune making the same torque at low rpm. Or is all their tq& hp gain shifted towards the higher rpm?

From what I've gathered AED is similar down low and way better up top. The other tunes have less down low than the Procal but more up top.

whatsgrip?

Established Member
With 3.31 rear gear, I think my car can use more of that bottom end torque. well my mind is made up, now I just gotta find a dealership that charges the least to take 5 minutes and load this tune up. My dealership quoted me $ 105.

JAMclutch

Established Member
I think the characteristics of the FRPP tune are exactly what I'm looking for! I strongly feel these cars(at least mine for sure)are missing that low end, torquey power feeling that is supposed to be there in American V8 Pony, Muscle and performance cars! Plus the FRPPs warranty is so clutch in a car that has had its share if "issues" in the last couple of model years. I pray the ProCal turns my car from a 5.Slow to a 5.Oh S@$#, you better hang on!!!

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Established Member
Ive had my tune in for about 24 hours. I can report with a smile that my '12 is alot quicker on the bottom end. I cant say it roasts the tires like some other have reported, but it did make a difference. Smoother throttle response in all gears, upshifts and down shifts too. I have almost had to relearn how to drive this car being that it was lagging on the bottom end. I also am glad to report no pinging at this time (knock on wood).

I had my local dealership install the tune, I payed $35 and away I went.

I also have 3.31 gears.

Last edited:

Heavyfoot

Established Member
I've been watching this thread for a little while now to see if any auto guys post up and I've yet to hardly see any. It would be nice to get this tune and be happy up until my warranty runs out and I can get an "aftermarket" tune, but I'm curious how u auto guys are liking it? I have the 3:15's which are obviously lacking in torque. And coming from my previous car that had 4:10's in it i would love for some more low end torque. So who has the autos with this tune that can share their likes/dislikes!
Thanks

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I remember Bama/AM did a dyno on the pro cal when the '11's came out and it lost peak rwhp.

Certainly not the case.

From what I've gathered AED is similar down low and way better up top. The other tunes have less down low than the Procal but more up top.

As stated in my original post, there are many other tunes that will net higher numbers/performance. If that is desired, this is not the right tune for that person.

5.0jake

Established Member
I've been watching this thread for a little while now to see if any auto guys post up and I've yet to hardly see any. It would be nice to get this tune and be happy up until my warranty runs out and I can get an "aftermarket" tune, but I'm curious how u auto guys are liking it? I have the 3:15's which are obviously lacking in torque. And coming from my previous car that had 4:10's in it i would love for some more low end torque. So who has the autos with this tune that can share their likes/dislikes!
Thanks

I had the FRPP tune on my auto/3.15's as well and sorry to say I was disappointed. The main difference I noticed was faster revving and the car was a little quicker but you couldn't really feel it like you can in the manual. Also the shifts still felt stock still not even chirping 2nd gear which sucked. With the auto I'd definitely go aftermarket.

RioRed4v

Established Member

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Here's the AM/Bama dyno test he was referring to.

Stock vs. ProCal vs. Bama - 2011 Mustang GT Dyno Results - MustangForums.com

I was really interested in this tune until I saw those numbers:shrug:

I picked up in both peak HP/TQ (around 15+/-) on the dyno and a nice amount down low as well (especially TQ). I am trying to get my overlapping dyno runs but the shop owner has been non responsive.

I ran [email protected] Stock and ran [email protected] with ProCal installed. Both runs were on stock 19" 245's. These were not a Summer run and then ultra low Winter -DA run either, as the first was in the beginning of December, and the second was in February. Both were at around 70-75* here on the West coast of Florida.

kosovobandit

Established Member
If someone will assist I have three dyno sheets to upload. I have untuned std numbers, tuned std numbers and an overlaping sae sheet I just got of tuned and untuned for the procal

JAMclutch

Established Member
I have the 3:15's which are obviously lacking in torque. And coming from my previous car that had 4:10's in it i would love for some more low end torque. So who has the autos with this tune that can share their likes/dislikes!
Thanks
I think these cars with the factory tune are lacking in low end torque no matter the gearing. I have 3.73s and i don't fell the power till around 4K RPMs. Thats what really attracted me to the FRPP tune in the first place. Not to mention the warranty once again but that too is key! You might wanna ask around to those with autos, and see if maybe going with 3.55s or 3.73s and the ProCal tune would help. I can't imagine running anything shorter than 3.73s in this car IMO.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
Thank you guys for all the auto experience. I've only got 2500 miles on the car and the torque (or lack of) in the low end is the only thing that I've found disappointing. I was just trying to hold off on the aftermarket tune until the warranty was up.

JAMclutch

Established Member
Thank you guys for all the auto experience. I've only got 2500 miles on the car and the torque (or lack of) in the low end is the only thing that I've found disappointing. I was just trying to hold off on the aftermarket tune until the warranty was up.
Im right there with you on the disappointment! Trust me! The lack of torque is the last thing i thought id be complaining about on a car like the Mustang! I don't look at the FRPP ProCal tune as "aftermarket"! I just look at it as a "track key" that makes the Pony run like its supposed to! Im actually planning on doing all my upgrades with FRPP. I hope to order the MGTLA Sport axel backs when i get back from a 2 week vaca. Then the tune as soon as its available. And then the adjustable handling pack and FRPP 2011 GT500 style wheels.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Still hoping to see some dyno sheets on this tune..

Also, anyone know if you can run the Airaid intake with the ProCal?

2k3Mach

Established Member
Getting my car tuned at ford right now with the procal... will give my sotp impression soon! Already taking them a grrr half hour to do what I could have done in 10 minutes... think they're just eating me for labor ;) but then again, warranty is the reason I went with the procal and having them install!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

2k3Mach

Established Member
Getting my car tuned at ford right now with the procal... will give my sotp impression soon! Already taking them a grrr half hour to do what I could have done in 10 minutes... think they're just eating me for labor ;) but then again, warranty is the reason I went with the procal and having them install!

Left ford... gotta say its a lot different in both sound (gt500 mufflers and k&n installed last friday) as it sounds better and also feel of the power. The difference can be felt but as I left there had ping which subsided the more I drove it. Can't say the ping is gone completely yet, but i can say both the sotp feels a difference and mileage seems to be better (reset as I left and was averaging 24 with both a lot of start/stop with heavy pedal as well as showing over 29 on highway - which I had not gotten before, max was 27 at just a cruise)

2k3Mach

Established Member
Yes - manual. Feels much stronger, especially 3-6k rpm - starting to feel like my Mach 1 did. The torque definitely improved

Users who are viewing this thread