FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

RioRed4v

Established Member
Thanks Dude.

My dealer told me to take the car back for a Oil change in 5k miles? True or not?

I think mine told me about the same. I had thought about going in earlier but seems like I've read alot of horror stories about people changing the oil early.

Last edited:

2k3Mach

Established Member
Thanks Dude.

My dealer told me to take the car back for a Oil change in 5k miles? True or not?

There is an oil life monitor which is supposed to tell you, but apparently early cars were set at on 5000 miles. dealer changed my oil and put 7k miles on the sticker as time it was due for change. There is a tsb to update the pcm to fix the oil monitor which monitors driving habits and conditions which is supposed to determine oil change times

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I just changed mine at about 4k with Amsoil and haven't heard any ticking yet. Will report back if anything changes. What other horror stories have you heard?

RioRed4v

Established Member
I just changed mine at about 4k with Amsoil and haven't heard any ticking yet. Will report back if anything changes. What other horror stories have you heard?

Pretty much all seem to be ticking and associated with early oil changes. Its just for my own piece of mine to go ahead and wait it out.

saunupe1911

Established Member
Pretty much all seem to be ticking and associated with early oil changes. Its just for my own piece of mine to go ahead and wait it out.

I disagree. I lot of people including myself, changed their oil before 10k miles. I think the engine tick says more about the break in of the car with the original oil, rather than the oil change itself. I don't people's cars where properly broken in before they changed their oil.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I disagree. I lot of people including myself, changed their oil before 10k miles. I think the engine tick says more about the break in of the car with the original oil, rather than the oil change itself. I don't people's cars where properly broken in before they changed their oil.
What classifies a car as "properly broken in"....

saunupe1911

Established Member
What classifies a car as "properly broken in"....

Now that I can't answer, but I do know the tick isn't caused just by an early oil change. There's more to it than that. I apologize for chiming in on that topic and hi-jacking the thread. I just didn't want people to automatically assume letting your car go 10k miles without an oil change in fear of the "tick" was an OK thing to do.

Now back to the ProCal, it's a great tune for autos and manuals in opinion. I loved mine on my auto, but I had the dreaded ping. And getting the ping is sort of hit and miss just like the oil change tick. Very frustrating.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Now that I can't answer, but I do know the tick isn't caused just by an early oil change. There's more to it than that. I apologize for chiming in on that topic and hi-jacking the thread. I just didn't want people to automatically assume letting your car go 10k miles without an oil change in fear of the "tick" was an OK thing to do.

Now back to the ProCal, it's a great tune for autos and manuals in opinion. I loved mine on my auto, but I had the dreaded ping. And getting the ping is sort of hit and miss just like the oil change tick. Very frustrating.
It's all good. I was just asking out of curiousity.

I will have to say, off-topic, that it will be hard for me to go 5k+ miles before getting an oil change, even if it's okay...I still change my truck's oil routinely at 3k even though it has Motorcraft Synthetic blend oil, and the dealer tells me it's okay to run 5k between....

2k3Mach

Established Member
I saw the paperwork when I purchased my car at 3500 miles. Oil was changed initially at 350 miles, then at 3500 miles when it was traded in. I have no tick and over 8k miles now!

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
I'm having issues finding a dealer that knows what a ProCal is and will charge a reasonable amount. Are you guys taking the unit with instructions into the dealership to educate them and get quotes or just calling?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I was charged about $100 (an hour's labor) from the dealer I purchased my car through. A complete ripoff but what choice do you have. I first brought the instructions for the ProCal to the service manager so he could read it over. Just calling will probably not get you anywhere quick unless the service dept has prior experience.

86merc

Established Member
I was lucky. My dealer made three passes on the dyno with the stock tune, installed the ProCal tune, made three more dyno runs and only charged me like $120. Awesome deal.

It is so simple to download the tune take a quick ride and decide if they want to turn the octane adjust on or not. Half hour is plenty of time. But many have a minimum shop rate.

5.0jake

Established Member
I was lucky. My dealer made three passes on the dyno with the stock tune, installed the ProCal tune, made three more dyno runs and only charged me like $120. Awesome deal.

It is so simple to download the tune take a quick ride and decide if they want to turn the octane adjust on or not. Half hour is plenty of time. But many have a minimum shop rate.

Your dealer has a dyno?!

What were your results/#'s before and after?

86merc

Established Member
Your dealer has a dyno?!

What were your results/#'s before and after?

We have several dealers that have dynos, install FRPP parts and one builds Kenny Brown's cars for them. The Chicagoland area is a awesome place if you are into cars. Import or domestic.

I posted this earlier in this thread.

Peak numbers did not show great gains. We had the "Octane adjust" set to "on" as we heard some pinging on the first pull as it had our crappy winter blend gas in the tank.

Stock the car made 358 rwhp & 355 rwtq. With the ProCal it made 363 rwhp & 356 rwtq.

Mid range torque did improve nicely at 20-30 ft/lbs through most of the rpm band. Horsepower was just about 5-8 rwhp through out most of the rpm range.

Unfortunately my dyno operator didn't scale the graphs the same so they are worthless to lay over one another. My three emails for him to send me the before and after on one graph have been ignored. :facepalm:

But like others, I could feel the improved throttle response, the skip shift deletion was very welcomed and the car was all around more enjoyable to drive. For the $289 I think it was worth it.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
My next mod I do believe!
Especially with gas prices going down....easier to justify switching to 93 octane now.

Talked to my dealer and they are installing it for free!

2k3Mach

Established Member
I had the same mindset as some of you guys. i wanted a safe tune that would improve drive-ability while maintaining some type of warranty. The ProCal was perfect for me except the engine pinged at 4k RPM under heavy acceleration. I could not keep running this tune, regardless of how non-harmful FRPP said it was. Also I disagree with some of you in regards to the Auto installation. Sure the Procal give the manual a little more oomph, but I could still feel the extra torgue in my auto. It didn't change shift points, but the throttle response was better

My ping is completely gone... running 93 octane and buying a better quality of gas fixed that issue! Runs a hell of a lot stronger than pre-procal

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
If it add power on manual is going to add power on auto. Only thing different is the transmission. Now, manual guys can use that power more efficiently because there's less drivetrain loss with manual and they have control over their rpm, but just as that one guy's manual procal dyno show power made, the auto procal dyno also proved power made for you auto guys that think otherwise. Another advantage that most manual guys have is the lower gears such as 3.73. That alone is a huge difference vs 3.15. If you auto guys go and install 3.73 or 4.10 and run your procal, then you will shred those tires too probably.

One thing I don't understand is why a company such as FRPP would say auto tranny is firmed up but every last one of you auto guys say it feel the same. Hopefully I can give my own opinion soon as I am waiting for my procal for my first auto tranny in15 years.:rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread