Foo Fighters > Nirvana. Discuss.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Nirvana > Foo Fighters

Nevermind was a great album...one of the best ever. It changed the way we listened to new music and brought a new genre to the spotlight.

Up there with

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Straight Outta Compton
Pet Sounds
Chronic 2001

Almost every song on all of these album's is good.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I think David Grohl and the Foo make up a better band than Nirvana, but Nirvana was somewhat of a harbinger of a generation, and that is tough to overshadow. For that reason, Nirvana will probably be at least a more well known band, if not thought to be better period.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
How many songs did he make after committing suicide? :poke:

Not the point. Like others said Nirvana blew up after he commited suicide which fit in with the whole "grunge mommy doesn't love me" scene.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Euphoric One said:
Foo Fighters > Nirvana.

Dave Grohl not only has escaped the shadow of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, but I think his band will go down in history as a way better band overall.

Discuss.

I don't know what is going on lately, but I have to agree 100%.

Bottom line who is still making music.

VPF

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i love both bands but Nirvana is definitly going to be more of a legend than foo fighters. I think cobain is, and always will be up in the same rank of musicians like john lennon, bob dylan, jimi hendrix, and all the other legends.

The Foo Fighters have consistently put out good music and several classics. Like I said, once it's all said and done, twenty years from now, Foo Fighters will be remembered as great, if not better, than Nirvana.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Not the point. Like others said Nirvana blew up after he commited suicide which fit in with the whole "grunge mommy doesn't love me" scene.

Point taken. :beer:

But what about people in which don't take into consideration (meaning have no idea about) Nirvana's past such as Kurt Cobain's suicide? I honestly had no idea about it when I bough Nevermind and I still thought very highly of the album.

Still good points though. When it comes down to it though, their music is what made them; both the Foo Fighters and Nirvana.

Both are great bands! They make me do the banana pepper 1-2! :banana: :pepper:

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Foo Fighters gets my vote. Nirvana had a few songs that were ok at best. Anytime I hear Nirvana on the radio I switch stations. They did however, open the doors for other bands to make it big. Best one to come out of that Seattle grunge scene was Alice in Chains...just my opinion.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Nirvana was riding a wave of it's own originality, whereas the Foo Fighters are just one more band tossed in the pile of a bunch of similar ones. Besides, Kurt is what made the band so great. Cobain was Nirvana, Dave could have been replaced by anyone and the band would have done just as well. Dave was expendable then, just like he is now. He'll never have the talent or creativity Kurt did.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Euphoric One said:
Foo Fighters > Nirvana.

Dave Grohl not only has escaped the shadow of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, but I think his band will go down in history as a way better band overall.

Discuss.

I've thought that way for years. I always thought Dave Grohl was the talent in Nirvana. If you've seen the Foo Fighters in concert, you know...Dave Grohl is a natural showman. He plays the drums, guiitar, and sings. He's an animal

Lightningfr

Banned
Euphoric One said:
The Foo Fighters have consistently put out good music and several classics. Like I said, once it's all said and done, twenty years from now, Foo Fighters will be remembered as great, if not better, than Nirvana.

hell no they wont and what classics are you talking about?
i have 3 of there albums and only like maybe 1 or 2 songs at the most per album

foo fighters have only had 1 good album there songs are very week dave is a great song writer but the sound of the past albums was CRAP

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Nevermind has more good songs that all of the foo fighters albums put together.

Lithium
Smells like teen spirit
Come as you are
in bloom
lounge act
breed
polly
something in the way

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
vegaspackerfan said:
Bottom line who is still making music.

VPF

the Beatles and Jimi arent making music any more, would you say Foo is better than them?

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Nirvana made WAY more of an impact in the music scene around the world than the Foo Fighters did. I was once a huge fan of Nirvana, but now I'm not. I think the Foo Fighters had some catchy pop songs, but that's about it. Nirvana was a beast that in part, ended the hair-band scene. The Foo Fighters were just another top hits pop band. That's all. After my sense of good music matured, I know longer liked either bands. Not enough musicianship. Just catchy phrases. I now prefer bands that offer more than re-packaged melody or beat. Not that Nirvana re-packaged anything. It was all pretty much original, but I like to hear people that are actually good at the instruments they play.

But all in all, Nirvana was a better band, it that they shaped a genre.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Forgot to say that the only band I like now in the alternative semi grunge genre is Alice in Chains. That's some damn talent.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
Dave Grohl is a natural showman. He plays the drums, guiitar, and sings. He's an animal

Yeah, but he's mediocre at best. And that's an exaggeration. He wasn't that good a drums, pretty bad at guitar, and an alright singer. Song writing is the best thing he has going for him by far. They were all catchy songs. The guitar work was weak.

Users who are viewing this thread