Foo Fighters > Nirvana. Discuss.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
im finding it hard to understand why its so hard to like both. foo fighters will never have the impact of nirvana(they didnt bring a new genre into the mainstream), nor do they have the hits of nirvana, but they still make damn good music. i like most of the songs on their CDs, same with nirvana.

but the foo fighters will never be up there with the grunge legends: nirvana, alice in chains, pearl jam, and the OH SO underrated soundgarden(one of my all time favorite bands). few few people can hang with chris cornell in the vocals departmen!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
dgussin1 said:
Nevermind has more good songs that all of the foo fighters albums put together.

Lithium
Smells like teen spirit
Come as you are
in bloom
lounge act
breed
polly
something in the way

and that's just Nevermind. cant forget In Utero and the Mtv Unplugged album. it is possible that Foo Fighters will supass them with time, and better music, but for now, i saw Nirvana all the way. and i dont even think they were ALL that great either! i think Rage was a better band then Nirvana. :shrug:

and Cobain was named as number 12 of Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists of all time, waaaay ahead of Eddie Van Halen :nonono: (Grohl didnt even make the list)

2814v

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
im finding it hard to understand why its so hard to like both. foo fighters will never have the impact of nirvana(they didnt bring a new genre into the mainstream), nor do they have the hits of nirvana, but they still make damn good music. i like most of the songs on their CDs, same with nirvana.

but the foo fighters will never be up there with the grunge legends: nirvana, alice in chains, pearl jam, and the OH SO underrated soundgarden(one of my all time favorite bands). few few people can hang with chris cornell in the vocals departmen!

Have you heard the band operator, they have a song out now called soulcrusher. The singer I think his name is John Strong, sounds just like a young Cornell. You would think its a new soundgarden song, if it was 1993.

As for the question, I will always :bowdown: to nirvana, thank god they helped kill the hair bands of the 80's. FF has a few good songs but I have never thought of them as a top tier rock band.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Soulcrusher is a great song!

As for the Nirvana vs Foo Fighters thing, I pick the Foo. I can't stand to listen to Nirvana, save for one song, Heart Shaped Box. That's the only one though.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
yea, i first heard soul crusher on MTV. at first i was just like "a song called soul crusher by a band called operator??? has to be some horrible new age music". they the song started and i was instantly hooked! that guy does sound just like chris cornell!!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
ampstang said:
Forgot to say that the only band I like now in the alternative semi grunge genre is Alice in Chains. That's some damn talent.

No Soundgarden? Chris Cornell is a musical genius.

As for Nirvana vs. the Foo Fighters, it's all been pretty much covered. Nirvana will go down as a greater band, simply because of when they did what they did. They changed the music scene in a big way at the time. I like the Foo Fighters better, but they'd never be able to overshadow the impact Nirvana had.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Not the point. Like others said Nirvana blew up after he commited suicide which fit in with the whole "grunge mommy doesn't love me" scene.
Not really true... the blew up with Smells Like Teen Spirit... Yes, after the "fad" of that song was over, alot of people jumped on the "oh, I was always a fan" after Cobain killed himself.

I'm suprised that nobody mentioned the unplugged cd... prehaps the best unplugged cd/show that ever came out of Mtv.

The addition of Grohl to the Nirvana line up made the band a power house. He is simply a versitile musician, no arguement there! Listen to some of the Nirvana B sides, Dave Grohl song on a song called Marigolds and did a damned awesome job.

Dont get me wrong, the Foo Fighters are an damned good band... not on the same "legendary" level as Nirvana though.

I'm sure that before it's all said and done Grohl will still put out some amazing music... the man is a walking band in himself, hell... he wrote and recorded the entire 1st FF cd himself. How many side projects has he done?

Destro03

Established Member
Foo Fighters is a great band, although,
Nirvana changed the face of music.
Every few generations, an artist will completely change
the path that music is going.
No artist has done so sinse Kurt Cobain

Rookie Venom

Established Member
You can thank Cobain for emo.
and Grohl is proving to have more depth and talent.
Bands tend to take themselves wayyyy to seriously....i dont think the Foo Fighters do at all.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
as far as who's better, thats a matter of personal taste, i like both for what they are.

jsquare76

Established Member
Nirvana by far! You really can't understand the impact they had in the early 90's, if you were born after 1980. Nirvana was my High School years. They blow up and he killed himself all during my High School years. FF has put out some good music, but nothing with any impact.

Coiled03

Established Member
God - all these people talking about the "impact" Nirvana had - WGAF?

Do you buy a CD because a band had a greater "impact", or because you enjoy the music?

Nirvana sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard - Kurt Cobain couldn't carry a tune in a rain bucket. And all those songs in crazy, whacked out keys just sound like crap.

Foo Fighters at least make songs that sound good.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i ****ing hate nirvana.

their music isnt that good and they are only still in the books because Cobain off'd himself. Had he not done that, Nirvana would have died out with the rest of grunge, and taken Grohl with them, the most that couldve happened is grunge wouldve taken a bit longer to die, and Nirvana would still be struggling today (kinda like Pearl Jam). thankfully he off'd himself, and grohl moved on and became a way better band than nirvana ever could.

if it takes suicide for your band to get record sales, your band doesnt have much going for it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Foo fighters are an average everyday band...Nirvana will go down in history as the founders of mainstream grunge. Their songs are TEN times better but..its all opinion rite:thumbsup: -Shane

Users who are viewing this thread